Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Talk to me about the Genesis Day One Disc…..can i run it fixed?
  • epo-aholic
    Free Member

I’ve an itch for a fixie, i knew i shouldn’t have sold my Langster last year!

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/cross/day-one/day-one-disc

Anyway, i like the look and versatility of this bad boy, has anyone on her got one? i used to have a CDF and really loved that bike….. I know this is SS but i’d want to run it fixed, can anyone tell me if this is possible please?

Thanks in advance

JB

glupton1976
    Free Member

Does a flip flop hub have the same threads on both sides? If so, then you can run it fixed.

I know that this bike does not have a flip flop hub, but the answer will still be correct.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Don’t see why couldn’t take the rear brake off and run it fixed.

You could keep the original hub if you got one of those 6 bolt cogs and flipped the wheel. You’d need to check what the chainline is like flipping the wheel, but a couple of washers on the chainring would probably sort that.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

Don’t see why couldn’t take the rear brake off and run it fixed.

bugger…….ideally i’d like the rear brake but suspected it may not work, i’m not bothered about running SS ever, just fixed one side and not a flip/flop stylee if you get my meaning?

spyke85
    Free Member

Would need a different rear hub from memory. Freewheel fitting only so unable to put a lock ring on and obviously it has the 6 bolt disc mount on other side.

Fixie Inc had an interesting hub on their Peacemaker last year. The fixed cog used a 6 bolt disc figment.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Does a flip flop hub have the same threads on both sides?

No. Fixed hubs have two threads (one for cog, one for lockring). The free side doesn’t, so there is a risk of a fixed cog loosening if used on the “freewheel” side

pixelmix
    Free Member

Would need a different rear hub from memory. Freewheel fitting only so unable to put a lock ring on and obviously it has the 6 bolt disc mount on other side.

Yup, this. Surly do a silly amount of hubs in various configurations, so might do something suitable for disc/fixed.

samuri
    Free Member

I can’t see the pictures on my stupid phone but I run a day one fixed with disks no problem.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

I think i can but really shouldn’t……i ran fixed/fixed on a langster like this (ie. one side without a lock-ring)

cheers for the input guys……oh dear, another bike on the horizon! 😀

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about the Genesis Day One Disc…..can i run it fixed?’ is closed to new replies.