Viewing 13 posts - 81 through 93 (of 93 total)
  • Talk To Me Abbout Coffee :)
  • samuri
    Free Member

very funny thread.

If people believe their coffee is better using 5 grands worth of equipment, then they should be left to believe that, they’ve invested in it, I don’t see any need to knock them.

I’ve found I’m happy enough with ground coffee in a bag from somewhere that I keep in the fridge and pour boiling water over in one of them big cafeietierre pot things. I like the smell moer than the taste of coffee to be honest and we keep the grounds in a small fridge mostly so I can open it and sniff up big.

TooTall
    Free Member

Fresh coffee, less than two weeks from roasting. Ground within a few minutes of using. Good quality beans. Anything else, in my experience will not produce fine espresso.

There are so few people in the world who could distinguish those subtleties that they never need to go there. Not one of the places I drank coffee in Italy was that fussed about the age of the coffee before grinding – yet they produced the best coffee. Not everyone could get the best out of Steve Peat’s bike, so they don’t need Steve Peat’s bike.

damo2576
    Free Member

Here is a good thread if you are interested in modding your machine with PID, voltage sensor etc – give you much better temperature control. http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machinemods/427213

And pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/linux-works/3608274583/sizes/z/

I’ve never done this but was seriously obsessed with finding the god shot at one point. I’ve moved on….

King-ocelot
    Free Member

There’s so much variety in coffee’s and so much choice that you can spend too long fiddling about and forgetting to sit back and enjoy your drink. The vital ingredient in an god shot is sitting back and relaxing. That’s what’s you do in Spain/Italy/France etc…

molgrips
    Free Member

If people believe their coffee is better using 5 grands worth of equipment, then they should be left to believe that, they’ve invested in it, I don’t see any need to knock them

No-one on this thread’s said that though. Even WEJ has a fairly cheap machine with some inexpensive mods, doesn’t he?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Mods? Like a carbon filter for example? Maybe a titanium water boiler too?

MrNutt
    Free Member

wow does Steve Peat’s bike also make coffee? I’d pay £5,000.00 for that!

BadlyWiredDog

It’s like hi-fi nuts isn’t it – £10K’s worth of audio equipment, then they listen to Dire Straits…

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Maybe a titanium water boiler too?

how about using heavy water to get that exclusive hit ? Then I speculated about the perfect murder where you keep giving someone heavy water till they become so dense they inexplicably sink when they go for a swim but:

However, larger concentrations of heavy water are toxic in eukaryotic organisms, when heavy water replaces about 25% to 50% of the body’s water

though since it’s not radioactive I don’t know if a pathologist would detect it…

molgrips
    Free Member

Mods? Like a carbon filter for example? Maybe a titanium water boiler too?

Hehehe… you jest…

I’ve seen modding pages for coffee machines. Usually tweaking the thermostat and lagging the pipes for more consistent water temperature…

though since it’s not radioactive I don’t know if a pathologist would detect it…

Mass spec would show it up.. which I suspect they’d use for othe post mortem analyses.

MrSmith
    Free Member

The vital ingredient in an god shot is sitting back and relaxing.

really? i love the caffeine hit, mild shakes, higher heart rate a strong double shot gives you.

MrNutt
    Free Member

actually if you used deionised water with a very low TDS the coffee saturation would be greater and you’d get MORE flavour

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

which I suspect they’d use for othe post mortem analyses

really ??

Viewing 13 posts - 81 through 93 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘Talk To Me Abbout Coffee :)’ is closed to new replies.