Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 442 total)
  • Taking people property away if it's deemed you shouldn't have it – corbyn
  • DrJ

THM – I thought you’d left the forum?

Is disappoint.

Drac

Bascially he is inciting breaking and entering

**** sake how did you come up with that conclusion?

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Maybe some of us could come at it from a different perspective?

Taking people Borrowing property away if it’s deemed you shouldn’t have it it could really help somebody in desperate times through no fault of their own

graemecsl
    Free Member

Guy on the radio nailed it this morning, when they said they couldn’t just requisition property, they don’t mind doing it to Alzheimers victims to pay for their social care.

MSP

How does this compare to say Tesco getting compulsory purchase orders so that they can knock down the homes that people actually live in to build a store?

I think rehoming the survivors of last weeks fire should be a higher priority than building big steel sheds. Hopefully this will also shine a more critical light on a housing market in the UK which is failing a huge number of people.

GrahamS

So when the country is broke and on its knees which would happen if corbyn had his way – would it be right if you had savings and the government took them away?

I’m sure everyone on here will be the first against the allotment wall along with the other capitalist dogs. 🙄

Alternatively he is recognising a genuine problem where we have a national housing shortage, ridiculously high property prices, and yet loads of accommodation sitting empty as “land banking” investments.

flanagaj
    Free Member

The politicians who have allowed this travesty to escalate over the past 40 years are the problem and should be hung from lampposts, thank god someone is throwing out some ideas that don’t just pander to free market legalised immorality and greed.

I just had a quick peruse of the Labour manifesto and I could see no mention regarding stopping overseas investors from purchasing homes in the UK. They also mention protecting the greenbelt. I wouldn’t be under any illusion Labour will fix the broken housing system. His statement regarding occupying vacant properties is just cheap political point scoring.

Like has been said already. I doubt it would be lawful to do such a thing anyway.

Just for the record. I have argued long and hard regarding stopping non British citizens from purchasing UK property. I think it’s perverse that property can be treated as an asset and purchased by wealthy overseas investors.

Drac

And we can flatten homes so London can have another runway.

milleboy
    Free Member

Just for the record. I have argued long and hard regarding stopping non British citizens from purchasing UK property.

How do you feel about British citizens buying home in Spain or France? Does it matter who owns the homes so long as they are available to rent?

Cougar

“Occupy it, compulsory purchase it, requisition it. There’s a lot of things you can do,” Mr Corbyn said.

Thanks, I hadn’t seen that. Nice cherry-picking though. From that link,

“There are a large number of deliberately kept empty, vacant flats and properties all over London. It’s called land banking,” he said.

“People with a lot of money buy a house, buy a flat, and keep it empty.”

Such properties should be used to help people in their time of need, he said, suggesting there were different ways of enabling this to happen.

Occupy it, compulsory purchase it, requisition it. There’s a lot of things you can do,” Mr Corbyn said.

He’s talking about housing people in empty houses. Are we really championing the notion that people should go homeless whilst people living in foreign countries build up a UK property portfolio of empty houses?

Granted, just ‘taking it’ is a bit off. But they could rent them out (and make even more money).

MSP

I just had a quick peruse of the Labour manifesto and I could see no mention regarding stopping overseas investors from purchasing homes in the UK.

Why would you look through the labour manifesto for my viewpoint?

Cougar

How do you feel about British citizens buying home in Spain or France? Does it matter who owns the homes so long as they are available to rent?

I’d imagine that most of those citizens visit them occasionally.

MSP

If British citizens buying homes in Spain and France distorted the market to the detriment of the locals, I would have no problems with their governments taking action to correct that situation.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Are we really championing the notion that people should go homeless whilst people living in foreign countries build up a UK property portfolio of empty houses?

Well, of course we are. Because…

Respect for property rights is a fundamental requirement for economic prosperity.

:winkysmileys: etc.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Nice cherry-picking

Nope. Just quoted the piece where he used the word occupy, then linked to the rest. The contentious piece appeared to be wether or not he had used the word, hence using that piece in the quote.

flanagaj
    Free Member

If British citizens buying homes in Spain and France distorted the market to the detriment of the locals, I would have no problems with their governments taking action to correct that situation.

Took the words out of my mouth!

flanagaj
    Free Member

Why would you look through the labour manifesto for my viewpoint?

I just wanted to add a little clarity. Sometimes I get the impression that people think Corbyn is some sort of utopia for the issues in this country. The Labour manifesto regarding housing is rather lack luster and will result in little fundamental change to the current status quo.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Don’t worry posh-o’s IF it looks like happening some bright spark down the hmrc will come up with a tax write-off scheme, then your rich mates will be able to profit from their “philanthropy”

flanagaj
    Free Member

Any decent political party who was serious about tackling the housing crisis would increase available land by releasing green belt land, stop overseas investors buying property and introduce a high levy on people owning second homes in the UK.

The reason none of the parties will tackle the issue is increasing the amount of housing stock rapidly will cause house prices to plummet and there will be another financial crash.

chakaping
    Free Member

Any decent political party who was serious about tackling the housing crisis would increase available land by releasing green belt land, stop overseas investors buying property and introduce a high levy on people owning second homes in the UK.

Why?

This is a bold claim and you need to back it up with some reasoned arguments.

convert

inciting

Powerful word that. Kind of surprised anyone with broadly right wing leanings would be using that word today. The day after a weak minded man was ‘incited’ to do what he did by the bile of the right wing press spin on the world. I’d have thought you would all be off grid hanging your heads in shame.

BigJohn

I believe JC sips a cup of camomile or redbush in the morning.

Because proper tea is theft.

flanagaj
    Free Member

This is a bold claim and you need to back it up with some reasoned arguments.

Simple supply & demand economics?

Junkyard
    Free Member

the words all posters dread most of all

He really is through the looking class these days

RustySpanner

jambalaya – Member
    Could not agree more OP
    He used the word OCCUPY
    Bascially he is inciting breaking and entering

There is no link between those two statements.
    At no time does he encourage anyone to break the law.

Occupy can mean many things.
    Such as ‘temporarily house people’.

You have asked for people to stop making political points on at least two other threads and then immediately made political points yourself.

Please, have a think.

BigJohn

Is that above or below the chattering classes?

ransos
    Free Member

I’d have thought you would all be off grid hanging your heads in shame.

I’m not sure they’re capable.

MoreCashThanDash

Corbyns full quote is completely different to what has been reported in the Mail. I’m no fan of his, but the **** Mail is producing the sort of shit that serves no purpose other than to generate hatred.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Damn foreigners paying high prices for houses and making the locals rich eh ? Barstewards the lot of them.

@ajantom where I lived we we had many social housing projects in fact I lived happily opposite one of London’s largest. A very large number of those units where occupied by retired people who’d lived there all their lives, that’s fair enough but don’t then complain firefighters and nurses have no where to live.

Corbyn said OCCUPY, in campaign speak that has, imo, a very specific meaning based upon the occupy movement.

Complisory purchase etc won’t help that will take months and minths if not years based upn legal challenge and in any case who os Corbyn to say a property is unoccupied ? Moreover the rent a mob (who attacked who they wrongly believed was a KCBC employee the other day) are going to just turn up and break into houses. Corbyn well knows what he was inciting, division and illegal behaviour.

seosamh77
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member
    Respect for property rights is a fundamental requirement for economic prosperity.

in an economy largely based on landlord-ism, probably true. 😆

maxtorque

I’m not sure how many people have been displaced by the fire, in total, but lets say 300 (ish). If we can find rooms for 300 people in Londons existing guest house/hotel system then something is going very wrong indeed!

It’s not like the unfortunate people have an belongings left, and they had been living in small flats, so a decent sized room each in a hotel would be similar, and almost certainly less expensive that ‘borrowing’ someones flat would it not

seosamh77
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member
    Damn foreigners paying high prices for houses and making the locals rich eh ? Barstewards the lot of them.

@ajantom where I lived we we had many social housing projects in fact I lived happily opposite one of London’s largest. A very large number of those units where occupied by retired people who’d lived there all their lives, that’s fair enough but don’t then complain firefighters and nurses have no where to live.

Corbyn said OCCUPY, in campaign speak that has, imo, a very specific meaning based upon the occupy movement.

Complisory purchase etc won’t help that will take months and minths if not years based upn legal challenge and in any case who os Corbyn to say a property is unoccupied ? Moreover the rent a mob (who attacked who they wrongly believed was a KCBC employee the other day) are going to just turn up and break into houses. Corbyn well knows what he was inciting, division and illegal behaviour.

That’s the stuff jamba, miss the point and context of the comment entirely. long as it fits your agenda! 😆

RichPenny
    Free Member

My initial reaction agrees to a great extent as property your belongs to you. I assume that those who disagree are happy to lend an expensive rarely used bike to a stranger then.

Yep, have done so and would do again. Random acts of kindness help us all.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’m not sure how many people have been displaced by the fire, in total, but lets say 300 (ish). If we can [Assume you meant “can’t”] find rooms for 300 people in Londons existing guest house/hotel system then something is going very wrong indeed!

Significantly quicker, much easier legally and ultimately less financially tricky*. That’s the avenue that should be followed.

*The potential costs of trying to requisition property from people who can afford lawyers are scary.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator
    in their time of need

just to help you with the context, in case your search for sensationalism is blinding ye, jamba..

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Dude, ever since election night, when your predicted 150 landslide majority didn’t happen, despite your self-proclaimed history of getting EVERYTHING right, EVER, you really have been losing it – the above are the ravings of someone deranged.

Are you ok? We’ve all said you can open up here if things are getting on top of you. Start a separate thread if you need to. Us lefties are more understanding than the kind of people you surround yourself with. Try us.

Cougar

Damn foreigners paying high prices for houses and making the locals rich eh ?

You appear to have conflated “rich” with “homeless.” Easy mistake to make.

Moreover the rent a mob (who attacked who they wrongly believed was a KCBC employee the other day) are going to just turn up and break into houses. Corbyn well knows what he was inciting, division and illegal behaviour.

Seriously? Like, you actually truly believe that? It’s the sort of commentary The Daily Mash would run with.

ajantom

I don’t think many locals get rich off the sale of luxury flats and large houses. Mostly estate agents and developers with their noses in the trough.

Moreover the rent a mob (who attacked who they wrongly believed was a KCBC employee the other day) are going to just turn up and break into houses. Corbyn well knows what he was inciting, division and illegal behaviour.

Rent-a-mob? Or just angry people who don’t see enough (or initially anything) being done to help. Of course they shouldn’t attack people, but frustration and anger are understandable when nearly 60 (or is it now nearly 100?) of your neighbours and friends have died.

I think you’re reading a lot more into Corbyn’s statement than than he meant. I don’t read it as him inciting illegal behaviour. I read it as a statement of the facts regarding empty housing in London, and some potential solutions to the problem.

RichPenny
    Free Member

People thinking they have a right to live in the Borough are taking the micky

So Jamba thinks that families who have lost relatives in this disaster, their homes and all of their possessions are taking the Micky if they want to stay in the area.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I have to say, this thread is **** low.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 442 total)

The topic ‘Taking people property away if it's deemed you shouldn't have it – corbyn’ is closed to new replies.