Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Taking exams while at work…
  • PrinceJohn

This week I’ve been on a course that gives you a certificate for it’s completion, as well as the opportunity to take the exam.
    Having never done anything like this during work, is it normal practice to allow us time off & expenses to go & take the exam or do employees usually take time off & fund the travel etc themselves?

Phil_H

Is it work related? If I was asked to go or sent on the course I’d expect work to foot the bill. If it was something I’d chosen to do myself I’d expect to take time off & pay for it myself.

BigJohn

When my chimney sweep had her 11 plus I made her walk there in bare feet and docked her wages.

PrinceJohn

It is a work related qualification, they organised this week’s course.

MrGrim

It depends on who the exam benefits. If it’s work related and benefits the company then they should cover the cost of the exam, time off to sit it and any expenses. If it’s only to further your own agenda then that might be different.

wwaswas

It is a work related qualification, they organised this week’s course.

Can’t see why they wouldn;t want you to pay for you to take the exam and have a shiney certificate.

Travel in your own time if it’s coming home on a Friday evening after a days course or whatever I coudl understand but they should pay expenses.

tthew

Surely the exam is an intrinsic part of the course they are funding? Work pay and no need to use holiday. Are they suggesting otherwise, or are you genuinely wondering?

dissonance

Can’t see why they wouldn;t want you to pay for you to take the exam and have a shiney certificate.

Depends whether the qualification makes them more attractive on the open market. Might be best for the company to have them trained but no certificate.

mrsheen
    Free Member

Your employer might have a Learning & Development policy whereby you’re entitled to a set number of days each year to use for such things.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Depends whether the qualification makes them more attractive on the open market. Might be best for the company to have them trained but no certificate.

+1, although a bit short sighted of them.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’m doing an hons degree day release, work get course free through a business taxation scheme*, give me day off, pay travel expenses, 5 days a year study leave, exam days off too.

I wouldn’t have done it otherwise, not through any sense of entitlement, but if I had to pay days back then it would affect my work/life balance, and I’m not prepared to do that.

*Not sure if it’s national or just up here, but all companies who employ more than 1000 people (I may be wrong about that number!) Pay a levy that goes to the government for further education.

All businesses can use it, even small ones, its really a very good idea.

FuzzyWuzzy

For recognised (by the company) exams they’ll fund the first attempt and you can book the time off as training leave – they don’t cover expenses though (probably would for the more valuable exams that help companies attain partner status etc. in the IT world).

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Surely it all depends on what your employer has laid down in company policy FW?.

There’s no one rule that applies, my old employer wanted me to do a degree in my own time at my own cost.

**** that.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Taking exams while at work…’ is closed to new replies.