Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Taking a fence
  • cubist
    Free Member

I’m after a bit of advice.

I had a few fence panels blow down in the wind the other week. It actually belongs to my neighbour but being a neighbourly soul I agreed to go halves. He lives in Spain but his daughter lives in the house, he used to be in property development and said he had a local chap who could fix it.

Before

Anyway 2 guys came and repaired at the weekend and now it looks like this:

After

The work seems OK, they replaced 1 panel, 2 posts and reinforced the gravel board with 3 concrete spurs. However they have charged £650!! Seems ridiculous to me.

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>Total for parts delivered £325.</span>

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>Plus £ 25 for bolts sourced separately.</span>

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>£300 for two guys Labour for the job.</span>

I have priced it up and think £50 for a panel, £15 each per post and £18 each per spur so with his bolts price that’s £159 and although I wasn’t there its not a days work so say 6 hours of 2 people his labour charges are £25 seems a lot for Lincolnshire.

Now, like a fool, I agreed to drop him cash in advance for my portion and was under the impression the quote would replace several panels and the trellising (which the y re-used).

Before I kick off any more, am I way off the mark and this is a reasonable price?

(edit: no idea what I have done wrong with the images)

martinhutch

You’ll need to query it with your neighbour. He arranged it and agreed the price. If it was on the understanding that multiple panels were replaced, then perhaps they have done less work than he expected as well.

stevied
    Free Member

I’ve just had a quote to replace 16 fence panels/posts etc and that was £1200. £650 for a couple of panels seems like a rip-off and, I suspect, your ‘half’ will pay for the total job..

wrightyson
    Free Member

The day rate is fair, the materials isn’t.

BillOddie

He’s taking the piss, if it’s his boundary you don’t need to pay anything.

FuzzyWuzzy

I recently went halves with a neighbour on 5 x 6ft high panels + concrete posts, £800 total (Bristol area) so sounds like he’s taking the piss to me

CountZero

A mate put a new fence across the bottom of my garden, to replace one put in over thirty years ago, which had disintegrated. Involved digging new holes, in very stony ground, five new posts postcreted in, supporting timbers, featherboard with sacrificial bottom weather boards and capping strips. Took a couple of days, he knocked off £50 because I’d helped dig the holes, total cost including materials was £600, for a 30 foot fence.

choppersquad
    Free Member

To be honest, you fell at the first hurdle.
    It’s his fence, so it’s his responsibility to pay for it to be fixed.

cchris2lou

Just had 2 fence panels, a post, and some ground work to make it all stable for 320.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Taking a fence’ is closed to new replies.