Home Forums Bike Forum Tailfin Top Tube Bag – is it me, the bike, or the bag?

• This topic has 23 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by iainc.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Tailfin Top Tube Bag – is it me, the bike, or the bag?
  • I’m guessing the bike – are the fixing holes in a stupid place?

The bag has two positions and neither come close to being able to fit.

I could just use one fixing and one strap, but I didn’t pay quite a large sum of money for this bag to strap it on. Wanted it for it’s bolt mounting and off the back of RD’s review. Maybe I’ll stop being so precious and just fit it…

There is also the possibility that I’m the 30s I spent in the shed looking at it, I’m missing something daft

20240516_185242

jimdubleyou

I don’t think that fits your bike… the first hole looks to close to the steerer

Merak

I’ll give you a tenner, take it off your hands.👍

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

That is very strange. Can you not just use the voile straps? You’d maybe have to remove the frame bolts?

scotroutes

On my Topstone the hole nearest the steerer is about 10cm from it.

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

I use the voile straps even though I have mounting bolts correctly spaced, just because it’s easier to take on and off, and to swap between bikes.

rOcKeTdOg

Hmm, mine fits the bolts and still has a tiny gap between the bag and the steerer

PXL_20240424_162110836

Straps are from the frame bag, top tube bag is bolted on.

Hmm, mine fits the bolts and still has a tiny gap between the bag and the steerer

Strange positioning of the bolts on the Boardman then – I’d be curious to know if ANY bag fits to them

vlad_the_invader

I’m guessing the bike – are the fixing holes in a stupid place?

Seems like it to me! Is the an ISO standard for these things??? 😆🤷‍♂️

fettlin

Standard bottle cage bolt pitch (or should be) but not a standard distance from the stem by the looks.

Try one of these adapter plates.

FOG

While I appreciate you bought it for the bolt on facility, the straps keeps the bag so secure I wouldn’t worry.

cheers_drive

There’s no standard to where the bolts are positioned on tope tubes.

MoreCashThanDash

While I appreciate you bought it for the bolt on facility, the straps keeps the bag so secure I wouldn’t worry.

This – the most solid and stable bag I’ve had.

iwbmattkyt
    Free Member

If you bought the bag for the bolt on capability you made an expensive choice when there are a few other good options. The real reason the tailfin bag is a game changer is for those of us without top tube bolts. It fixes very solidly with straps!

ampthill

So i googled this bag, which is £52

They show an excellent diagram of the bolt holes. It appears that the front bolt is 70mm from the front of the bag. Clearly your front bolt is less than 70mm from the front of the stem.

Top Tube Bag – Zip

avdave2

There’s no standard to where the bolts are positioned on tope tubes.

A few months ago I had some work done on an old frame and as part of that I had top tube bag bosses added. Obviously I looked to see what the standard spacing was and discovered that it appears the bike industry hadn’t actually thought this might be a useful thing to have. In the end I found something on the restrap site and used their dimensions on the basis that at least there was one bag I could find to fit

ampthill

I should add that last week i ordered a chain ring with the wrong bcd. Buying online isn’t that dream we were so sold.

Sorted with an adapter similar to suggested by @fettlin 👍

20240517_182642~2

20240517_183335~2

petefromearth

That’s a tidy solution STR👍

Slight OT – for anyone who has this bag, specifically the zip version like above, does your zip rattle constantly and have you found a way to stop it?

I am perhaps wishing I’d bought the flip version but went for the smallest size which is zip only

rOcKeTdOg

I’ve not noticed it rattling

I didn’t notice it rattling, but then I’ve got an Abus Bordo Lite folding lock attached to a bracket that rattled like hell – that definitely needs addressing and I wouldn’t have heard the zip if it did rattle

petefromearth

Mine does rattle a lot and is very annoying. I just tuck in the little pull thingy, but then I can’t open it as easily without stopping/crashing

There’s such attention to detail in every other aspect of the design, I’m wondering if it might have been redesigned, and mine is an early version

iwbmattkyt
    Free Member

“ I’m wondering if it might have been redesigned, and mine is an early version”

yup, there is 2 versions. The newer version seems to have a soft coated pull or something. Maybe see if customer support can hook you up? Always had unbelievable response from them.

iainc

I bought one of these, the 0.7l i think a few months back.  I returned it as I found that the hole spacings in the bag base itself were about 5mm too close together to align with the top tube bolts  I tried in on 2 gravel bikes and a road bike, all the same.

I tried again this week with the slightly larger one, the 1.1l, and just the same, so it’s been returned also.  I have a Revelate mag tank bolt on one that fits perfectly on my bikes, so I don’t think it’s the 3 bikes, given that they all have identical spacings (a Giant a Spesh and a Cannondale).

A pity as I prefer the security of the zip one to the flap version of the Revelate and was looking for a stiff bag without a head tube support strap.

I could have got the drill out and lengthened the base slot in the bag i guess, but seems like they are made to poor tolerances.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.