Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Tailfin questions
  • shermer75
    Free Member

I’m tempted by the Tailfin but have two questions:
    1. They are expensive, is there an alternative out there? (As in a close equivalent- I know you can strap a bag on top of a pannier rack!)
    2. What’s better, the Aeropack where tge bag and rack are one piece, or the seperate rack and bag system? Having always used panniers or seat packs having the bag welded to the frame looks really annoying- but is it less annoying in oractice? Do you need to have the quick release attachments so you can get it off the bike to make packing and unpacking easier?

MoreCashThanDash

Also interested in experiences with these

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Had the same thought recently as wanted a system which would go on gravel bike and mtbs, tailfin just silly expensive with bag and adaptors, so went with Aeroe Spider rack instead. Just got back from a 4day gravel (100-140km/day) and it was perfect. Bit heavier but 1/3 the price, didn’t move and just took dry bag off to take inside. Got the handlebar one too, and similarly fab. Also attached a £5 webbing net from Amazon on top to hold coat and other quick access stuff. Can also attach my gorilla cages to sides of rack for more storage. Great Kiwi system 👍

spooky_b329

I recently got the Aeropack, 40th birthday present to myself. Expensive, but so is a decent rack and waterproof panniers, and I don’t want the temptation to fill up two panniers!

The Aeropack is meant to be better for off-road riding as there are fewer parts. It’s pretty easy to remove the whole rack as it’s tool-less and quick release, I had no problems taking it into B&Bs, if wildcamping I either leave it on the bike or put it just outside the tent.

The universal axle is genius, it fits all my thru axle bikes, all of which have different thread pitches and/or different lengths.

It’s completely silent and rattle free, I immediately used it for 4 days rough gravel biking in Cornwall on the West Kernow Way, and then a week later I took it to Scotland and did the Capital Trail on my MTB, camping.

Very happy with it. The only niggle was I fitted my metal mudguards to my gravel bike and had to faff about bending the metal stays as they were interfering with the rack at the dropouts. I could have used the included direct mount kit but that would mean the rack would need tools to remove it.

didnthurt

I bought something similar off eBay but only a lot cheaper, it worked ok until I went off road and the supports bent.

Topeak have a seat post mounted one, as well as a few different options.

https://www.topeak.com/us/en/products/91-Racks

iwbmattkyt
    Free Member

I originally looked for an alternative to a tailfin the price seemed a bit much. In the end I concluded the only other option was aeroe spider rack. However I didn’t feel comfortable with using that on the delicate carbon seatstays of my road bike.

So I ended up with a tailfin rack and top pack. It’s been great, used it on the road bike, the gravel bike and the dually (even light trail riding) no troubles.

For me, I went for the separate rack and bag for the extra mount points on the side so I could fit extra cages/bottles.

jameso

Alternative – Ortlieb Quick Rack
    https://www.ortlieb.com/uk_en/quick-rack+F78104

tractionman
    neila

I have the Aeropack, got it through the Kickstarter campaign so not full price. Overall a great but if kit, as mentioned above, completely rattle free and waterproof but it can be difficult to fill and close if you’re not running a long section of external seat post as the saddle can get in the way. The optional extender helps. If buying again I would get the removable bag option.

dudeofdoom

I’ve been looking at the aero pack,as the separate bag option is pricy and my thinking is that I won’t really have it on the bike unless I’m using the top bag as panniers are the devils spawn.

Although I’d take the aero pack with the pannier attachments as being a biketart I’d want the carbon version not the more practical alloy one with the 3 holes.
    (Just in case I want to hang teeny things off it.)

I’m intreasted in the tailfin thou as it’s been used in the Badlands and ideally that’s somewhere I want to ride with it as well as the less punishing duties.

I do like the aeroe thou but I’m also not that keen on clamping stuff to my carbon stays.

Now you’ve made me all indecisive 🙂

jameso

bad idea?

I do like the aeroe thou but I’m also not that keen on clamping stuff to my carbon stays.

Well this is from Aeroe’s own marketing but I expect there’s a disclaimer for frame damage. Looks a bit risky to me tbh.

iwbmattkyt
    Free Member

Those ortlieb racks are interesting, I had never seen them before! It’s just shame you aren’t able to mount them to the axle.

That said, the tailfin and top pack is still substantially more solid than any rack or pannier I’ve ever tried so I’m very impressed and taken it on far more trails than I’d have with another setup.

rOcKeTdOg

I had one to play with https://ukgravelco.com/tailfin-aeropack-rack-review/
    Should be a link to the video too

supernova

I’ve got one, have used it for off-road bike packing for hundreds of miles and haven’t broken it, so that’s good.

Mine is the separate bag and alloy rack version, I use Blackburn Anything cages on the rack supports to strap extra bags on. Works well.

Is expensive, no getting away from it.

I like the way it’s really easy to get the rack on and off. Putting a full bag onto the rack in the morning can be a bit of a faff if it’s overloaded (mine always is). The separate bag and rack combo doesn’t fold flat like the integrated version.

shermer75
    Free Member

I like the way it’s really easy to get the rack on and off

This really appeals

The separate bag and rack combo doesn’t fold flat like the integrated version.

Oh, that’s a shame! As in the arch and rack part don’t fold flat? Or the bag?

smogmonster

The Aeroe kit is great. I’ve used on both my full-sus and my gravel bike this year. No problems whatsoever.

spooky_b329

I’ve got the extender and you can close the bag before you put it all on the bike, you can also just ping off the seatclamp and let the rack pivot back onto the rear wheel so the saddle doesn’t get in the way of rolling the drybag.

You can open the left zip slightly so the air can escape as you cinch it down, and cross the two straps over to stop them falling off on rough trails.

shermer75
    Free Member

rOcKeTdOg

I had one to play with

I just read your review- thanks! Very useful!

damascus
    Free Member

is there an alternative out there? (As in a close equivalent- I know you can strap a bag on top of a pannier rack!)

Mounting a rack to a carbon frame with no mounts

I made my own, it was great, worked really well but I’ve sold that bike and my new bike doesn’t have the same 142×12 thread so gave it a friend and its still going strong and its not snapped a frame yet.

I keep looking at the tailfin, I think they look great too but they are expensive. I have an ebay alert set up but they go for silly money 2nd hand too.

@jameso
    the ortlieb rack says 29×2.35 max tyre. Do you know if you can bend it a bit more to fit a 29×2.6 tyre in.

How good are the adapters for bikes that don’t have eyelets? Thanks

jameso

@jameso the ortlieb rack says 29×2.35 max tyre. Do you know if you can bend it a bit more to fit a 29×2.6 tyre in.

Not sure, I’ve not looked at one up close. I expect you could bend one a bit but it would probably be weakened.

stanley

@rOcKeTdOg Nice review. Do you think the version with removeable bag would be a problem if used off-road? I’ve been looking at these for a few weeks… I fancy getting the version with removeable bag (if ok off-road) + the 10l panniers for ultimate flexibility across a range of bikes.

supernova

I use the alloy/removable bag combo off road bikepacking. It’s rock solid.

dudeofdoom

I had one to play with

I just read your review- thanks! Very useful!

Yep, definitely useful,I reckon I’ll be popping an order in.

It does look a nice bit of kit, but nice to get some hands on feedback before splashing the spondoolies.

imn

@damascus – I got the Ortlieb Quick Rack for my road bike commuter. The narrowest part is 95mm clear width so 2.6″ should fit. Vertical distance from centreline of mounts to underside of rack is about 365mm; mine is mounted off frame eyelets so relative position of these to axle will determine tyre gap. The top is stiff but there’s enough flex on the uprights to fit most frames I’d think.
    I’m pleased with it, as it’s only a bit heavier than TailFin but a lot cheaper and similarly easy to remove when not needed.

imn

Some photos to illustrate the Ortlieb clearances.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.