Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • T5 bike rack – 4th bike adapter
  • nickdavies

Come on hive mind, help me. I’ve googled this to no avail.

How the bloody Nora do you fit the 4th bike extension onto the t5.1 genuine bike rack? I’ve got a bar, a threaded rod, 2 jaws and no instructions.

Spud

The 4th bike bar, clamps to the frame of 2nd bike. It doesn’t mount to the frame of the rack. bit of a faff but fine once you have it sorted. I always put a small cable lock around for extra security.

nickdavies

This is what I thought.. but how? Am I missing a 4th wheel to do it up?

Spud

Bar should have a clamp at one end and a clamp and wheel at the other end. One clamp around each frame and tighten, that’s it, the single wheel tightens both.

nickdavies

Cheers. I’m missing a wheel then.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Timely thread as I fitted my genuine T5.1 bike rack yesterday (chuffing pricey bit of kit!!). I fitted the 4th bike but it’s not very stable. I’ve got the wheel straps on the widest slots which isn’t ideally wide enough and the bike just flops around, there is no fore and aft (from the bikes perspective) stability. It’s like it needs 2 of the double ended clamps. I am just fitting it to the top tubes of the bike. Am I better off fitting it at an angle? e.g. the seat tube of one bike to the head tube of the other? or high up the downtube? More experimentation is needed but I would appreciate any tricks of the trade.

Spud

I’ve found seat post/ down tube works better, the higher up the bar is the more wobble.

nickdavies

Make sure you grease the threads and nuts on the knobs. Having worked this 4th bike extender out, I’ve found that the 2 main carriers are unusable as they’re totally seized and now the plastic nuts are rounding. I’ve got the lock on the 2nd one too, so I now need all 4 arms to get back to where I should be. £200! Sod that!

Gonna try and get some lengths of m8 rod tomorrow and bodge it, Even the generic knobs are £20 each.. such a rip off.

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Timely thread-just got to the point where all but one are rusted solid. Lots of wire brushing, oil and grease have freed 2 but I’ve had to knife the plastic knob off to access the bolt (was turning around the bolt).
    I’ve found these (OP)
    Plastic end wheel
    Good price. Although no idea what size I need! As others have said-keep well greased!

nickdavies

Good find.. assuming they’ll ship a couple I’ll report back if the m8 rod fits the nut at the other end of the bar. Looks like m8 is right to me.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Although i think the main body of the rack is fine I really think the clamps are pretty poor – apart from the fact they’re really small so if you’ve got a bike with tubing that is oversized or not round or an aero frame then they don’t really clamp particularly well. I’ve been pondering the possibility of getting the same clamps as those on my buzz rack quattro and seeing if I can replace the VW ones with those. They’re just screwed into the end of the rod so should be able to modify it.

Really It would be good if you could just attach 4 thule 591’s onto it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘T5 bike rack – 4th bike adapter’ is closed to new replies.