• This topic has 8 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by viv.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Swinley Saturday – ok to ride there???????
  • viv
    Free Member

As per title – can I park at go ape and ride there or will I be turned away??

allthepies
    Free Member

Personally I’d ride elsewhere.

http://gorrick.com/swinley/news_item.php?id=413

“The local authority and the Crown Estate have closed The Look Out Discovery Centre and other local amenities till probably the weekend. They have requested members of the public to stay away from the area and this includes Swinley Forest to allow for emergency services personnel to continue working together to tackle the fires. People must not impede firefighters in their work and should be aware that the travel of both fire and smoke can change unexpectedly. ”

viv
    Free Member

mmmmmm – thought that’d be the case, just wondered if anything had change

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

i went there last saturday and you were allowed in but the ground was smoking in places. it wasn’t too bad then but that was just before the fires picked up tho. shame 🙁

theotherjonv

I just got back from swimming at Coral Reef with the kids and the fire brigade are there handing out info and asking people to stay clear for at least this week, for fear of restarts in the undergrowth.

As I said on another thread last night, at times we don’t do ourselves any favours re: permits, tensions with walkers on the Surrey Hills, unsanctioned trails on the Hurtwood, conflict with the MOD – too numerous to mention. Just being seen to flout the closure would be bad enough but suppose someone injured themselves, how will it look if the ambulances / air ambulance is called into Swinley to rescue someone?

Pls stay clear, there are plenty of other plces to ride, and plenty of people (including some in authority) who wouldn’t shed a tear if MTB’ers were banned from the forest. Relationships in Swinley under the renewed SCP plans are at an all time high, please don’t **** it all up now just because YOU think the closure is over-reaction.

viv
    Free Member

fair play – ill give it a week, any other good places within 15 miles of reading??

theotherjonv

yes, loads.

Find Swinley on the map, look over the other side of the M3 and there’s a whole load of MOD land nr Pirbright. Go explore, but also pay attention to the information notices and stay out of the way of the army

viv
    Free Member

cool – will do….

viv
    Free Member

Gapemouth Road area the right end? Parking places there?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Swinley Saturday – ok to ride there???????’ is closed to new replies.