Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Swinley forest is on fire!!!
  • busydog
    Free Member

Do you get a lot of forest fires in the UK? I never see anything about it on the news here in the US, but this post got me to thinking about it.
    We have lots of fires here in New Mexico, but a lot are grassland fires on the eastern plains during the spring wind season—-we do get our share of forest fires each year as well—bet more than half human caused and the rest from lightning.

catfood
    Free Member

Just back from a saunter round the forest. Its still on fire a bit near the corkscrew but otherwise its business as usual. I only saw one other person apart from fire people in forest the whole time I was there, a kid sat at the jump gully it was, felt like I had the whole of the forest to myself.

thepurist

I was there catfood – saw (probably) the same kid at the gully! 😀

2 ladies on hossback too, but that was about it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ohhhh, i’m off for a ride then, anyone else fancy a pootle this evening?

joolsburger
    Free Member

Haave they opened 9 mile ride yet?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

yes (I think)

Coral Reef is open, but the roads seemed to be open/closed depending on the smoke as I was driving around earlier and couldn’t drive back the way i came.

eekonooi
    Free Member

I had an e-mail from The Windsor Crown Estate yesterday telling me that they were closing access Swinley Forest until it rains.
    Dave.
    http://www.eekonoo.co.uk

PS
    I administer the sled dog permits in Swinley for the estate

allthepies
    Free Member

Avoiding Swinley currently sounds sensible. I’m sure the fire brigade have enough on their plates without having to worry about bikers/walkers/horse riders etc etc potentially putting themselves at risk.

atlaz
    Free Member

So, open or not? I quite fancied an early morning bash around there tomorrow before my “proper” ride on Sunday.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Open(ish) , just not by car to the lookout, I was riding round Crowthorne woods yesterday and no one stopped me, lots of fire engines if that’s your thing.

allthepies
    Free Member

I personally think you’ll be doing MTBers no favours if you ride there currently.

http://www.gorrick.com/swinley/news_item.php?id=413

Coyote
    Free Member

Are we sure about this? Our intrepid roving reported Woppit didn’t report anything amiss. Frankly I’m sceptical that there have been any fires at all.

tonyd

Agreed (with allthepies). There’s enough places to ride without putting yourself or others at risk, not to mention all the tut-tutting that’ll come from the bike haters. It’ll rain soon enough, why not wait til then before going?

allthepies
    Free Member

Well there were some four years ago…..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

a) Swinley has barely been touched, Crowthorne woods is a bit singed around the edges but not as bad as it looked on the news. We were out walking as were probably 1000+ people on Monday, didn’t see or smell the fires.

b) It’s going to rain tonight anyway.

cinnamon_girl

According to another Forum, a Warden is claiming that rights of way have been revoked and will be patrolled by bikes and horses.

So … will I get arrested?

allthepies
    Free Member

c) “The local authority and the Crown Estate have closed The Look Out Discovery Centre and other local amenities till probably the weekend. They have requested members of the public to stay away from the area and this includes Swinley Forest to allow for emergency services personnel to continue working together to tackle the fires.”

But if you must ride it because there is nowhere else you can ride in Southern England then feel free.

cinnamon_girl

So is the RMA side out of bounds?

allthepies
    Free Member

Dunno. Personally I’d use some nouse and would ride well away from the area. But I’m odd like that.

cinnamon_girl

Just got the FS back from being repaired – it’s goading me. 😉

Edit: Looks like Sunday will be dry.

theotherjonv

I’d see this as a chance to show that MTB’ers as a whole can follow reasonable instructions and act responsibly by steering away this weekend.

There are plenty of folks who already think we don’t follow the rules (permits, unsanctioned trails, not just here but elsewhere – we’ve had enough discussion about the MOD land recently too) – so how will it go down if someone stacks and they have to send ambulances / air ambulance into swinley while it’s ‘closed’. Will just add more fuel to the fires of those that wouldn’t shed a single tear if we were to be banned from Swinley for good.

Pls spread the word; it’s one weekend, go explore somewhere else instead. You might find something ‘better’

pants
    Free Member

theotherjonv- Here, here!!!!!

cinnamon_girl

I’m a woman, I don’t like bossy men. 😉

Reluctant
    Free Member

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIINNN!!!!!!!!!!!! 😀 😀 😀

I don’t think I’ve ever been this happy to have wet trails! We’ve had enough rain overnight and this morning to (hopefully) get right into the ground and sort out the fire 8)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

“The local authority and the Crown Estate have closed The Look Out Discovery Centre and other local amenities till probably the weekend. They have requested members of the public to stay away from the area and this includes Swinley Forest to allow for emergency services personnel to continue working together to tackle the fires.”

Seemed to be having an epic tea break on Saturday and doing monkey impressions with a banana when we chatted with them.

20 engines on Saturday, 8 left today, judging by this mornings rain they’ll be out soon too 🙂

catfood
    Free Member

You went to Swinley and survived!

eekonooi
    Free Member

#Swinley Forest fire fight ‘scaled down http://bbc.in/lkOMsS
    However, there is currently no public access to Swinley Forest.
    Dave

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Swinley forest is on fire!!!’ is closed to new replies.