• This topic has 14 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 4 months ago by LAT.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Swapping up to a 50/51 cassette 11 or 12s hg driver
  • firestarter
    Free Member

Hi not looked at gearing for a fair while I currently have 1×10 deore on a hg driver, I’m after moving to a bigger range and I’ve seen deore 11-51 11 speed, and then some sram and sunrace 12s cassettes that go on a hg body too, I need shifter mech and chain too so what’s better 11 s or 12 s any suggestions on what works well
    Oh and can I still use my absolute black oval front ring cheers

I’d just go double but I’ve only got a single ring crank so may as well stick with 1x

metaam
    Free Member

I’ve gone back from 12 to 11 speed as it’s easier to keep running nicely and cheaper to replace worn/broken parts.

joebristol

That deore m5100 with the 11-50 cassette always look decent value. Sunrace also make a similar range 11 speed 11-50 cassette if that’s cheaper / available.

metaam
    Free Member

I tried the Deore one, but the riveting came loose pretty quickly. Sunrace are more money, but better quality IMO.

alan1977
    Free Member

im on 11 speed
    was originally an xt 42 tooth
    then went to sunrace 50/51???
    now on deore 10-51
    the sunrace cassette.. was ok.. clogged with mud easily.. seemed to wear out quicker than id like..
    the Deore is much nicer… shifting, staying mud free.. haven’t had a rivet issue yet..

this was back in feb, when i realised it was chain and cassette time.. trying to get a 12 speed setup was an option. but availability and pricing made it a bad prospect

montgomery

Had both, agree with Metaam. The Sunrace 11-50 has more rings on two spiders, less individual than the Deore 11-51. The bigger jump between the two biggest sprockets on the Sunrace could be a problem (not for me so far, but I’ve not got many miles on it). Like Metaam I had the loose rivet issue with the Deore cassette, easy warranty refund, but I wouldn’t let it put me off buying one now as I assume they’ve sorted the problem out.

montgomery

I don’t think I’d want to run the Deore cassette on an aluminium freehub; in the 1750km I had it for the loose cogs were already scoring the steel Shimano freehub it was on.

firestarter
    Free Member

Thanks all for the tips

pembo6
    Free Member

I’m running Shimano 11sp & Shimano 12sp. Both with Sunrace cassettes which have found excellent. Can’t say I have a preference of one over the other.

However, if running Shimano 12sp, I found some issues with the chainring. You MIGHT not be able to use your current chainring. Due to the new shimano 12sp chain profile, not all chainrings will work with a Shimano 12sp chain. There are some chainrings specifically designed for shimano 12sp (and nothing else) and you can also get lucky with some other chainrings that just happen to work. Some chainrings say 10-12sp compatable, but that doesnt mean they are “Shimano” 12sp compatable. This added to the cost of my conversion. I tried a few combos, and some of them just didnt work (well, they “worked” but with a lot of noise!).

firestarter
    Free Member

Thanks I think I’ll just look for 11 speed stuff cheers

lardman
    Free Member

Yeah, 11speed Sunrace cassettes on my bikes. 50t, using Shimano mechs. All work great.

bigblackshed

I went with the Shimano Deore M5100 11 speed. At the time I could only get a 42 tooth cassette, which TBH is more than enough coming from years of single speeding.

It all works perfectly, no setup issues, and has lasted untouched all winter.

I’ve heard that 12 speed can be trickier to setup, it seems the more sprockets that are added the finer the setup needs to be, but the 11 speed was no bother. But I am a religious fanatic when it comes to hanger alignment. I bought the tool and I’ll damn well use it!

firestarter
    Free Member

Cheers

metaam
    Free Member

There are several threads on here and elsewhere about rattling Deore cassettes, seems to be a pretty common issue, as said, hopefully they’ve now resolved it. Thanks for reminding me there’s a warranty Montgomery (2 years), I’ve just contacted Bikester, so we’ll see how it goes.

LAT

microshift do an 11-48 10 speed. it is cheap and light compared to 11. you’d probably need a new mech that would handle the lower cogs. i believe 11 speed mechs work on 10 speed cassettes with a 10 speed shifter.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.