Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Suunto watches. Good for mountainbiking?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

Had a look at their website, watches look good. Anyone got one? Are they durable enough for mountainbiking.Compass, atlimeter and barometer functions look good things to have.

Which to go for?

aracer
    Free Member

No. I find when I wear mine I get no grip at all and always fall off on the tricky rock steps. What’s more it makes me much slower on the climbs as well.

nickc

I have a Casio thing with all those functions, and whilst it’s fine, the Altitude is nothing more than of passing interest when your bored, sitting on the Pointe de Mossettes lift…The compass is OK, but you can’t find a bearing on a map from it, but it’s the function I’ve used the most. Barometer…OK as long as you set it.

I don’t think it’s an essential bit of kit for mountain biking in the UK

aracer
    Free Member

…I do actually have a T6c on my wrist right now, and it does get taken with me mountain biking (including GPS pod), but I’d hardly say it adds much to the experience. I only tend to look at it when going to check HR and climb rate for training/fitness assessment purposes – if my rides weren’t “training rides” I’d not bother.

loddrik
    Free Member

I have an x-lander, there is a pic of it on the watches thread (the pic with 3 watches), it is great, the compass works fine, the altitude needs to be set before you set off as it will go out of kilter but works good thereafter and the barometer is good too. They look much classier than your average G-Shock etc.

johnikgriff
    Free Member

I use one (T3c) on my local “training” type rides, when I mostly ride on my own and it gives me something to push myself with. Also it gives and indication of improvements, find it pretty good on this type of ride. Don’t tend to use use it when I’m doing my weekend warrior type stuff with the “boys” (middle aged men) as it doesn’t offer much.

hora
    Free Member

I have a S6 Suunto. Its been through three straps, circa 4 batteries and its glass is heavily scratched. Its strong enough however to be completely honest I’ve never used any of the functions. Its VERY pricey compared to a Ebay-sourced Gshock considering what I’d need it for. On the plus side it was half price, I had good intentions of using it for training, its light and looks good.

Swello
    Free Member

I’ve got the Suunto Ti Observer watch – had it for 6 or 7 years – nicely indestructable and quite light. I bought it primarily for Hill Walking/Mountaineering, but to be honest, the altimeter/compass, etc were superceded when I got a GPS – although it’s a nice backup I guess and that’s the reason I still always wear it when I’m walking/biking.

The main weakness that I’ve found is that the altimeter was completely thrown off if the temperature curve wasn’t “normal” as you climbed. It was once 50m out at the top of a 930m hill after I’d set it half way up – basically because it got colder quicker than it “should have”. Had some really mixed results with it overall – some days it was very accurate indeed (albeit with some resets at known spot heights).

aracer
    Free Member

I actually find the altimeter on my T6c is more reliable and consistent than previous altimeters I’ve owned (Casio and Polar). Even the best won’t cope with changes in temperature and background pressure though.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Suunto watches. Good for mountainbiking?’ is closed to new replies.