Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Surly Corner Bar MTB Drops
  • james-rennie

Drop bars that accept normal MTB controls! I’ve just spotted these, I’d like to try a set on my old Solaris.
    Does anyone know if something similar exists already?

Edit linky Corner Bar

james-rennie

beagle
    Free Member

No. But I’ve put my name down for some in September.

Only downside appears to be the weight. Hopefully I’ll be able to find some relatively affordable hydro road brifters before then. Otherwise my build will be mtb parts hack.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Give it 5 minutes and no doubt On One will have them copied.

damascus
    Free Member

This is a pretty good video on them.

But you need a shim to run them on a 31.8 stem and they weigh 770g!

I think it’s a good idea but I’d wait for version 2! That will have a 31.8 clamp and weigh under 400g or wait for px to sell a similar pair called uncle Tom

I keep thinking about running my salsa wood chipper bars with mtb brake levers and shifters on the straight bar and a broken pair of sti shifters with all the gubbins and levers removed for just the hood position to hold. Got to weigh less than 770g!

Edit

@squirrelking
    you beat me to it! 🤣

beagle
    Free Member

Yeah. That shim was not ideal too. Uk RRP is £119 also.

cookeaa

Another review:

I like the concept, making a bar to let people do drop bar conversion without needing to change from 7/8″ clamping levers…

But I’d personally want them to be more like traditional drop bars with less flair and outward sweep, plus and those “hoods” will need something to bridge the junction and let you actually use them…

But

damascus
    Free Member

Why are the little horns so short? I think they missed a trick there, a bit bigger and it’s another hand position.

cookeaa

Why are the little horns so short? I think they missed a trick there, a bit bigger and it’s another hand position.

In my head I can see a plastic infill that bridges the gap, and has an expansion wedge to hol it in the end of the ‘stump’, you would then tape over it to make something closer to a rubberised hood.

When you really look at it, does it not essentially replicate many of the hand positions of a Jones loop but of course with drop on the outer position?

boxwithawindow
    Free Member

In reality how does this give you anymore or different hand positions to any number of alternative handlebars?

Jones, moloko, Geoff, genesis alt, blah blah blah….

squirrelking
    Free Member

It doesn’t, it’s a drop bar but one that takes MTB sized components. 🤔

Tim
    Free Member

I quite like that. I had some knock off Mary bars on my commuter and it worked fairly well, but we’re narrow.

Those loom really good. I suspect silly money and heavy though…

FOG

I saw these and immediately wanted some. Weight a bit discouraging and I think they cost more pounds than the dollar price.
    As above I will wait for the PX copy

epicyclo

I get round that problem by using the Satori Bullbar

b230ftw
    Free Member

If they can make a more convincing “hoods” position I might be interested.
    The weight/price though – yikes.

hopefiendboy

Weight- ooooft

Price OOOOFFFT

Use of the term ‘HUMANOIDS’ in the product description- defo get stuffed lol

FOG

epicyclo, can you manage MTB disc levers with that bar?

cookeaa

I did find myself browsing the web again last night looking for alternatives, most like Epicyclo’s above. Either something like the On-One Mary or the various Nitto options on the PX website (the ‘albatros’ and ‘Dove’ bars look interesting to me) or these Soma Sparrow Bars (various others are available):

Basically “town” or “Treking” type style bars flipped to be more like a “Cafe Racer” style bar, and then if something “hood like” is still wanted, could it be a discrete bolts/clamps on stump to replicate the specific hand position?

It sort of feels like the ‘Corner bar’ potentially undoes lots of it’s benefits by costing and weighing quite a bit…

epicyclo

FOG
    epicyclo, can you manage MTB disc levers with that bar?

Yes, it’s mtb diameter.

Here’s a set on my TD-1 with disk brakes (Corrieyairack Pass)

faustus

The Soma Gator bars are drop bars that take mtb levers on the drops and brifters on the bend. 400g. But, apparently the drops are too deep unless you put the bar really high, and no hood position obviously if you use mtb controls (i guess you could get cane creek stoker stubby levers?).

I love the idea of the corner bar and the options it opens up, and quite like it’s odd looks, but it is monstrously heavy and the UK price a bit of a p1ss take.

chakaping
    Free Member

Did anyone mention that the weight and price are ridiculous?

Have they explained why they’ve hewn it from solid iron?

rOcKeTdOg

shermer75
    Free Member

That video says ‘premiers in 44hrs’ on my phone..

rOcKeTdOg

That video says ‘premiers in 44hrs’ on my phone..

That’s the whole idea of a premiere time 😉

shermer75
    Free Member

Fair enough! Is it a film? Seems a bit grandiose for a handle bar review

BadlyWiredDog

Fair enough! Is it a film? Seems a bit grandiose for a handle bar review

It’ll just be a trailer for the full Netflix series which is out in September.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Surly Corner Bar MTB Drops’ is closed to new replies.