• This topic has 20 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by st.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Surge or BFe
  • danmatthews
    Free Member

Hello there.

I’m looking to pick up a new frame in a bit to replace my crap GT Aggressor XC frame.

I’ve been looking at the NS Surge and the Cotic BFe thanks to recommendations from mates, i really like the look both, but i’m not sure what to go for.

The problem is i’m tall (~6’2″), but i still want something really ‘poppable’ and fun, while not being too much of a pain on the climbs. I find my current 20″ frame hard to wheelie and near-on impossible to manual (crap geom. i reckon).

Any opinions?

EDIT: Should mention, ~£300 is my absolute limit, i can’t be picking anything up for over that really, and i think steel is the way to go in terms of stiffness.

ryreed
    Free Member

You may find the surge a little small if you want to use it as an all-rounder? I got one for my better half in the larger of the two sizes and I’d struggle with it – might suit what you want it for but just thought is mention it. I’m a bit taller than you and I’m very long legged.

wishiwascalledsteve

I’m also 6’2″, I did ride a 17.5″ BFE for a while, used it with a 430mm Shannon post which just gave the right height. Replaced the frame with an 18″ C456 with a Reverb.
    Both frames were/are fantastic, I knew a 20″ frame would be the ‘correct’ size for me, but prefer smaller frames.

If you’re set on steel, then either BFE or 456 EVO would see you right (the 456 EVO does have a slightly slacker head angle)

honourablegeorge

Think a 19″ BFe is going to suit you

kudos100
    Free Member

The surge is a brilliant frame, but too small to ride xc if you are not a manlet.

17.5″ BFE if you have normal proportioned legs, 19″ if you have long legs.

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

I had a surge (large) and im 5ft 9 and it was so small I alot of seatpost showing which causes problems with this frame ! Due to too much seatpost showing i broke two frames at the seatpost collar so I wouldnt get one if I were you ? cotic are so much better quality !

swingbing
    Free Member

My brother has an NS majesty and it seems to be very well built. I doubt the surge would be any different, but it does seem strange that richieokeefe has broken large frames from too much seat post showing when he’s only 5’9″….

kudos100
    Free Member

Agreed. I am 6’3 and had a small surge with a 450mm post. I never had any problems.

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

when you look on CRC and the comments, users have had the same problem too , its not only me and with the amount of seatpost showing it causes alot of leverage at the collar which is not good !

chvck
    Free Member

I’m 6′ and had a large surge. I used a 430mm seatpost and didnt have any issues with snapping, however I got rid in the end as all day rides just ruined my back on it! Swapped it for a bfe oddly enough.

andeh

I’m 6’1″ and ride a medium BFe for everything, including 30 mile days in the Peaks. They’re low and long so you can get away with having a suitably lengthy bike that doesn’t feel like riding a gate.

When I bought it, folks told me to get a large. I didn’t and I’m glad.

swingbing
    Free Member

At 6’2″ I find my large Soul doesn’t feel at all like riding a gate.

It still looks like one though!

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

I bought a small soul in the end which suits me , very well made !

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

The bfe’s seem to lose their good looks when youve gone past small I think?

I ride a large surge, 09 frame is longer than the current revision.

Pretty good size although i could probably go a little smaller for DH type stuff.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’ve a medium bfe at 5 11 and I’ve ridden some very expensive steel frames, chromag samurai for instance, but out of all of them I will be keeping this one for awhile yet!

BillOddie

What fork you planning on putting on the front?

Might be worth looking at the Ragley Blue Pig, Marley or Piglet.

messiah
    Free Member

I wouldn’t go for the Surge because of the 27.2mm post. I’ve bent too many skinny posts and it limits your dropper options.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

6 5 here ride a Large BFe, find it perfect for everything, does do my back in when I set it to a lower travel .

I looked at the NS Surge among others, but it looked at ad small for any XC stuff and didn’t like the idea of so much seat post showing.. get the Bfe you will not regret it if jumps/tech is your poison.. or go for the Soul

danmatthews
    Free Member

I’m thinking large BFe at the moment – i’ve got some 150mm RockShox forks that are going in it along with hopefully a new XT or SLX groupset next month sometime. Biking is expensive isn’t it?

Can anyone comment further on the Large BFe? Worst part of this damn XC frame is the position of the saddle seems to present problems when shifting your weight around effectively when climbing and then descending, i end up putting my feet down too much. I can’t adjust the travel on my Sektors either so it’d never drop below the 150 (minus sag).

I rode a 16″ (large) surge the other night thanks to a friend of a friend. It’s really nice, i love the stiffness, but it feels like a BMX, i think i’m too tall for it, those smaller than me might love it as a do-everything-but-with-a-bit-more-effort bike.

I’ve been sent a few links to second hand BFe’s here on singletrack forum but they all seem to have chainstay damage (cosmetic) – i know it’s perhaps silly, but i don’t really want to buy a damaged frame :-/

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

I got a large 2nd hand Bfe from on here the frame was well maintained.

Forks
    It would be nice to have an adjustable fork if you can manage it in time. I ride with a fox 110-130-150, don’t have much use for the 110 setting and still not sure abt the 130, the 150 works well for me esp on jumps/tech stuff. It might be a stretch for climbing when fixed at 150mm. A lot of guys seem to think the Bfe works best around the 130/140mm mark, I assume to each his own. Really depends want you plan to use the bike for, I’m not much of a XC type.

Seatpost
    I use a reverb on mine, best thing I invested in.

Weight
    My bike is on the heavy side 33lbs, also cos I’ve got V2’s/203mm vented rotors (a tad overkill in most people’s eyes) but it works for me. The downside it’s a bitch to climb as I also went the 1×10 route which is great btw

Personally build it to suit your needs and your style… you’ll love the bike when it descends, jumps and tech stuff.. it’s quite a drag for XC stuff though IMHO

IF XC is your thing you might want to look at the Soul

st

I’m touching 6’1″ and had a large BFe, it looked big but felt nimble and chuckable particularly with the seat down. I still had a fair amount of seat post showing (a reverb that wasn’t inserted to the collar).

If you want a frame that rides well with the seat at the correct pedalling height then at your height (assuming you down have a disproportionately short upper body) then a large is the way to go.

A medium might mind of work and look good in photos but its not the right size.

There’s a blue on on the classifieds at the moment it’ll be on page 2 by now.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Surge or BFe’ is closed to new replies.