Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • SuperStar Road wheels….
  • Kryton57

….any good?

They say if its too good to be true it usually is, but 1500g for £160?

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=77&products_id=685

Any experience out there?

zilog6128

That is (very) light for the money. How good are the hubs though? Are they going to last?

teamslug
    Free Member

Only got experience of MTB wheels but have been excellent for 18 months now. No probs at all. Get the feeling quality might be a bit patchy though.

njee20
    Free Member

Impressive. At that price the hubs are as good as disposable! Assuming cartridge bearing there’s not all that much that can go wrong!

Edit: although Sokin/Mr Ride hubs on eBay are lighter and only £70, so you’d not be far off if you can build wheels, and they’d be lighter.

Kryton57

Impressive. At that price the hubs are as good as disposable! Assuming cartridge bearing there’s not all that much that can go wrong!

This was my thought. Hence why I asked, surely something must be wrong, but I rather someone else had tested them first 8)

trickydisco
    Free Member

What rims are they using? Are they kinlin’s?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Worth a shot. But unless you’re very light, I reckon they might be a bit flexy.

johnellison
    Free Member

If their headsets are anything to go by the bearings will be made from chocolate. I’ve replaced mine twice in twelve months. Mind you, I suppose you get what you pay for.

Northwind

Cartridge bearings though, so if they don’t last, replace with something better.

njee20
    Free Member

Cartridge bearings though, so if they don’t last, replace with something better.

This was my point.

Northwind

Yarr, I was taking the controversial decision of agreeing with someone on the internet.

njee20
    Free Member

No you weren’t.

**storms off**

timb34
    Free Member

Hang on, they’ve put up the same weight (1510g) for the 24mm and 30mm rimmed versions of these – one of those must be wrong surely?

mrjmt
    Free Member

email and ask, its probably your fault for not reading it right.

cheers_drive

Slight hijack but has anyone tried the SS CX disc wheelsets?
    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/index.php?cPath=79&osCsid=apus5kgfea75la8v9qtal19003

trickydisco
    Free Member

This does seem damn cheap. I’m after some lightish wheels. Was looking at the stans 340 but think the kinlin xr200 would be better (£30 for 385g 5g heavier than the stans 340 which is £74!)

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I looked at those when they were the full £175, but the AL30’s from Planet-X looked suspiciously similar with a similar weight (ex. qr’s) and included quick releases for £150.

So I went with the Planet-X and haven’t been disappointed so far!

trickydisco
    Free Member

They look similar rims but hubs are different (slightly heavier) on the planet x

trickydisco
    Free Member

Notice they have the lower profile elite 24 which is cheaper but the same weight?

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=77&products_id=684

trickydisco
    Free Member

Does anyone know what rims superstar are using on those wheels? They look like the kinlin one’s (either xr270 or 300) anyone confirm?

trickydisco
    Free Member

Hang on, they’ve put up the same weight (1510g) for the 24mm and 30mm rimmed versions of these – one of those must be wrong surely?

I asked him and he said they are infact the same weight

Strangely enough they are exactly the same weight. The 24 has more material
    in it to make it stiffer with lower profile, plus 0.5mm more brake track
    thickness for lifespan

FuzzyWuzzy

So has anyone bought a set? I’d be interested to see how stiff the 24’s were, given the weight I’m pretty dubious they’d be anything like Ksyrium Elites but more like Planet X B’s.

trickydisco
    Free Member

I’m also interested. My rear planet x model b is ruined now and after a new rear wheel.

currently pricing up some kinlin xr200s in 28h

i want something stiffer than the model b’s

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘SuperStar Road wheels….’ is closed to new replies.