Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Superstar Nano Evo pedal – what socket size to adjust them
  • leffeboy

So, just got some of the above pedals and they start out quite tight although still smooth.  I was going to loosen them off a little but I can’t find the right size socket to fit them.   I looks a little bigger than a 7mm but my 8mm socket is a bit fat to fit into the hole to get down to the nut.  Does anyone know what socket should fit in there or does no-one bother adjusting pedals any more?

drewd

I’ve a set of these pedals and they are very stiff, but Superstar say that they’re designed that way. It’s the bushes they use rather than the bearings, so I’ve left mine alone.

That said, if you still want to adjust them I’m not sure what size you’d need, but when I serviced another set of pedals the only socket I could get to fit inside the pedal body was a really slim one on a hex bit, the type that you’d use in an impact driver if that makes sense.

This type of thing

I didn’t use those exact ones, mine came in a drill bit set. I’m not sure off the top of my head which size you’d need.

swanny853

It’s the delta rather than the nano, but I had to use a ground down socket to fit because it was so snug. If the nano evos have gone that way then they could be the same. (The original nano was no problem).

joemmo
    Free Member

There’s no need to loosen them, the amount of friction will not be having any measurable effect on your pedalling and loosening them is more likely to lead to premature wear. They’ll ease up a little over time anyway.

leffeboy

That’s helpful, thanks.  If they do use bushes then there is probably little to be gained by loosening them off.  I’ll leave them for a bit and see if it improves but in the end it would have been nice if they were serviceable.  I was trying not to always go for Shimano but at least you can take their stuff to bits and put it back together again nicely

leffeboy

but I had to use a ground down socket to fit because it was so snug

That might be it.  It did look like a ground down 8mm socket would get in there but I wasn’t really excited enough by the idea to work out how to do it

joemmo
    Free Member

If they do use bushes then there is probably little to be gained by loosening them off. I’ll leave them for a bit and see if it improves but in the end it would have been nice if they were serviceable.

they’re completely serviceable:
    https://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/service-kit-for-nano-pedal.htm

leffeboy

oh nice, thank you.  That’s encouraging but now I really want to know the size of socket 🙂

edit: and now with added video I know it’s a 9mm socket with 13mm max outside dimension.  Brilliant

mattyfez

Mine (nano x) have cartridge bearings 2x on one end and Bush on the other.

GeForceJunky

Pretty sure it is a 8mm. You need a very thin one, best to turn your own down on a lathe. No adjustment though, they are 2x sealed bearings plus a bushing. My axles were very worn so I replaced the bushings with 2 roller bearings.

Delta Pedal Fix

leffeboy

It’s a 9mm and my socket is only 0.5mm too wide so when then time comes may just shove it in a drill and file it down that way.  Will leave well alone for a few weeks to see if it improves first. I’m pleased to see that’s the parts are replaceable though

drewd

Sorry, I didn’t describe that very well. As you’ve discovered they’re fully serviceable, but they’re designed with a self lubricating bushing that’s intended to give a bit of friction to keep dirt out. It does seem stiffer than other pedals I’ve used but it’s had no impact when riding.

I really like my pair, I’d buy them again if I needed pedals.

joebristol

I thought they were tight and notchy when I got mine (especially in comparison to my Carbon Cycles Exotic Alloy pedals which are silky smooth) but it’s not been a problem when on the bike. Mine still feel much the same so haven’t got any better or any worse and they have so much grip.

mark90
    Free Member

My Halfords pro 1/4″ drive 9mm socket fits fine in Nano X pedals. Don’t have the Evo ones but assume it would fit.

superstarcomponents
    Free Member

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO “ADJUST” THE NUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am going to be blunt as I end up saying this far too many times and being ignored. The nut doesn’t adjust anything. If you loosen it your pedal will fail and fall off….

It needs to be tight as we assemble it correctly in the factory. The expensive German IGUS bushes are preloaded so they aren’t sloppy like a DU bush which has to have clearance to physically work. This is all correct and when you have a load on it like a 100kg human has minimal friction

All a free spinning pedal says is that you have huge clearances and your pedal is poor quality with lots of friction in use.

All this is clearly explained on the item page.

Any questions please ask before you fiddle and hurt yourself

Neil Superstar

vincienup
    Free Member

^ can’t really say fairer than that! 😂

andybrad

any idea where to buy just the bushes?

DezB
    Free Member

I can only imagine people want to loosen these pedals so that they spin when you hose them! Why else would you?

scruff
    Free Member

When I rebuilt mine after over a year I used a cheap socket and just filed it down to fit. I then refitted with rocks etc.

superstarcomponents
    Free Member

We sell all the spares and socket tools in the spares section. You can buy them from IGUS direct for similar prices.

If you need any help let us know but there is a service video online. It’s eady 2 minute job

Neil Superstar

andybrad

service kits include bearings which i dont need. its allwsy the bush that goes

mark90
    Free Member

Exactly. I just replace bushes and seal when I rebuild mine. Shame superstar don’t do a bushes and seal kit. Don’t need to replace the bearing and nut every time.

leffeboy

All this is clearly explained on the item page.

Thanks for taking the time to comment, it’s always appreciated. I didn’t see any item page or other info but I’ll take a look now.  I seem to remember that there was a torque setting on the video as well

leffeboy

and found it

The pedal is designed to run without obvious grease, as the bearings are internally lubricated and the bushing is self-lubricating. Adding extra grease will not alter performance but will shorten service intervals.

The extra tight double lip seal is designed to be high contact type and will feel stiff in the hands straight out of the box this is normal. Once fitted and bedded in there will be minimal friction, and will make the internals of the pedal safe from any riding conditions.

The IGUS self adjusting bushing will help eliminate play from worn bushings for much longer service intervals. Again this will feel in the hand to have sticktion but once in use the actual friction will be minimal.

These three features will increase the life of your pedal and make it practically fit and forget. If your current pedals spin like crazy with a light flick this just exposes the poor quality loose clearance bearings and complete lack of actual seals, it does not mean they are well made! We prefer to make high quality products which will last.”

It was in the Tech Specs section rather than the desciption.  I hadn’t read that

Thanks again

chakaping
    Free Member

kudos for making a great pedal with excellent sealing and bearing life, so +1 for igus bushes & seals available separately, ta.

superstarcomponents
    Free Member

The seals and bushes are available separately if that’s all you want.

Just buying seals or single small things gets expensive as we have to cover all the shipping and administrative costs on each item picked and shipped. So 99% of people buy the whole kit. Remember free postage ain’t free but people go crazy when you charge them for it even if it’s cheaper for them to be charged once…

Neil Superstar

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Superstar Nano Evo pedal – what socket size to adjust them’ is closed to new replies.