Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Suntour Raidon- Are they rubbish?
  • tenacious_doug
    Free Member

They come on a hardtail I’ve just ordered (Genesis High Latitude 10). It’s my second bike so they won’t get used for anything too rad, mainly Pentlands bashing where the full sus is OTT and winter mud plugging, but I don’t want anything totally rubbish. Ideally I’d have gone for something better in the first place, but it needed to be within C2W limit.
    Obviously I could ride them and find out, but I’ll be able to flog them for more on Ebay if they are new and unused.
    Reviews seem sparse, and more importantly there’s nothing on the fount of all knowledge that is STW.

munrobiker
    Free Member

They aren’t meant to be that bad for a fork at that price point. If it were a £1500 bike I’d be looking at Rebas but they’ll be able to keep up with the rest of the bike nicely. I’d see how you get on, if it’s rubbish replace them, if they’re good then keep them.

Although if you want better forks and not to pay any more money there is this-

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cube-ltd-pro-29-hardtail-bike-2015/rp-prod127837

duntstick
    Free Member

I once took someone out on bikes, me on my fancy full suss, he borrowed my gf’s cheap old hardrock with judy tts.

He then showed ridiculous amounts of speed and skill over rough terrain and put me to shame.

I’d just use them

peakyblinder
    Free Member

I’ve used them for 12+ months now. They are absolutely fine. I set them quite saggy to get the full travel and make them feel a bit plusher (30%ish). Could be a bit smoother and maybe flex a little bit on slow techy descents, but they are 29’ers. They soak bumps up great. Service easy too.

drovercycles
    Free Member

I had a set on the first 29er I built up for myself. They’re fine – and good for the money, for sure.

Not as much adjustment as on more expensive forks, maybe a little flex, and harsher than (much more expensive) alternatives, but I’d only bother changing them if you’re going to upgrade a fair way. They’re really pretty decent to be honest.

deviant
    Free Member

They get good reviews.

Suntours budget stuff harms their reputation unfortunately but their good stuff is as good as anything out there.
    Bloke today at BPW has them on his Genesis, he didn’t seem to have any complaints….bit of a tenuous link but one of the French privateers took a top-10 result at Lourdes last week on Suntours DH fork.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Good stuff, thanks Peaky & Drover, I’ll just stick with them, from the sounds of things they’ll be totally fine for a second bike. Obviously not expecting them to be anything close to my Pikes but just didn’t want a total dud.

kayla1
    Free Member

They’re brilliant for the price. Use them as they are for now, then when they start to feel a little sticky (and they will), take them apart (really easy) and wipe all the OE grease off the stanchions. Fit some Rock Shox foam oil retaining rings under the dust seals and put 20-30ml of 10wt oil in each lower before you reassemble them. Hey presto! Super-plush air forks on a budget 😀

I’ve got Epicons on both my bikes now (100mm and 140mm) and they are well worth the money.

edit- I’d love to try some Durolux 35mm stanchion ones.

skids
    Free Member

I think the Air Raidons are pretty decent, just not that light, I had some on abike before it was stolen and they felt good, the Thru axle on them was pretty cool too

enduroforever
    Free Member

I had some a few years ago. A little sticky when new, put a bit of silicone spray on the stanchions and they will be fine I was happy with mine

seadog101

Really liked mine. Initially a little hash, but once they’d had a few miles of bedding in and a few doses of lube on the seals they improved a lot.

Although I replaced them, they still grace seadog the youngers bike and giving great service. He loves the lockout, and likes that his bike has real forks now.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Thanks Kaylo, read that trick in a few places, sounds like its a straightforward mod.

FWIW the forks I was looking to change to were a set of Manitou Tower Comp, but not really feeling the need to upgrade them in the short term now.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Suntour Raidon- Are they rubbish?’ is closed to new replies.