Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Sunday roast ,,,
  • bigG
    Free Member

I picked up a 2.1kg bone in sirloin roasting joint at Tebay this week and want to cook it medium, any longer will ruin it. Last one I did I followed my usual cooking time for a rib of beef and found it a little overdone.

How long would the singletrack chefs suggest I cook it for?

Obviously I’ll be doing all the trimmings and cracking open a bottle of something French and red to go with it so I’d love the meat to be perfect.

Ta,G

joshvegas
    Free Member

I suggest you get a meat thermometer.

Thus removing the guesswork

Drac

I use Goodfood’s guide but not done one with the bone in before.

Place the joint fat-side down in the roasting tin and put it on the hob. Sizzle to release some of the fat, then turn the beef in the fat to seal and colour it all over, about 5 mins. The joint can now be roasted, fat-side up, allowing 10-15 mins per 450g for medium-rare, 15-20 mins per 450g for medium, 20-25 mins for medium-well and 25-30 mins for well done. Turn the joint halfway through its cooking time for an even roast. Once roasted, remove the beef from the pan and leave to one side, loosely covered with foil, to rest for 15-20 mins.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2558/roast-sirloin-of-beef

grum
    Free Member

Yup – if you’re going to buy expensive joints of meat you should defo get a meat thermometer. Thermapen off ebay.

bigG
    Free Member

Re meat thermometer. I had one, it broke. I’ve not replaced it yet. Now can I have some helpful advice re timings please?

Ta

chambord
    Free Member

^^^ See Drac’s post, or here‘s Delia’s take on it.

I think people are being helpful tbh.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

i roast beef at really low temps for long periods of time. in the style of heston blumental. looks like leather on the outside, perfect medium all the way through

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2011/dec/14/slow-roasted-rib-of-beef-with-bone-marrow-sauce-recipe

i realise this isnt helpful for you now, but worth bearing in mind for next time. just pulled a 3.2kg brisket out of the oven that has been in overnight (12hrs) at 60oC

the only trouble is the meat doesnt drop its juices so you dont get much to make gravy from.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Sunday roast ,,,’ is closed to new replies.