Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Summer Hols Traffic – is it just me?
  • P-Jay
    Free Member

Perhaps it’s just me…

Has anyone else noticed there’s not really been a dip in commuting this summer?

Trains, still packed.
    Roads, still busy.
    Same amount of bikes around.

danreilly
    Free Member

Definitely quieter around Manchester

the-muffin-man

I work in a tourist town so it’s busier than ever! 🙂

jam-bo

work in a tourist hotspot, much quieter in the mornings, shitshow in the afternoon.

Drac

Roads up here and the town have been rammed for weeks. Commuting times have been ok though compared to normal.

IdleJon

The motorways are busy all day, with even more incompetent drivers than usual. The services are completely unbearable. London seemed quiet yesterday, although I wasn’t really in a touristy part. I think I passed three or four crash warning signs, and one old Mini being pushed off the motorway on the way home. Blue lights charging around everywhere.

Smudger666

Crossing the Queensferry Crossing (N-S) in the morning is (almost) a pleasure during the hols.

jimdubleyou

It’s been quieter on my rail commute, much busier on the Etape Du Embankment

johndoh
    Free Member

I commute from Harrogate to Leeds and have found it very random this summer – some days the station car park is as busy as term time, others it has been quieter. On one morning a couple of weeks ago I genuinely thought I must have accidentally tried to go to work at the weekend as the train was so quiet – barely more than a handful of people in the carriage all the way to Leeds. Other mornings it has been standing room only by the time it reaches Leeds.

handybar
    Free Member

Work is quiet – I assume a lot of my clients are away on summer hols – but the main roads are still busy, it’s weird.

drnosh
    Free Member

It is quieter for early morning travelling around here, but the afternoon…….urghh.

A major East – West A road…..bumper to bumper both ways yesterday around 16.30….had to travel about 30 miles. Unbearable really.

ayjaydoubleyou

I’m doing noticeably less queuing, though its only saving me a couple of minutes at best. 10% increase in MPG though, so if that’s happening for everyone…

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m on holiday, it seems quite busy everywhere I go..

stumpy01

Nice and quiet on my commute on the A1 and A14 – well, compared to normal…

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

generally quieter in bristol during rush hour, but pretty mad this mid-afternoon for some reason…

MrOvershoot

Much quieter for me the Birkenhead tunnel is almost deserted @8am, once the schools are back it will be rammed 🙁
    its taking me 25 minutes at the moment either way. Come September that will be 45 minutes in and up to an hour back, its at that point riding in makes sense only its a horrible ride for 75% due to psycho drivers and having to get the train under the Mersey.

kelron
    Free Member

Roads seem quieter around here, not that I spend much time on them. Drove to Dover to pick up a bike on the first weekend of the school holidays though, big mistake.

tjagain

Living in Edinburgh / Leith traffic just gets worse and worse thru the summer. Now reaching intolerable levels – its worse every year

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Exeter vv quiet on my back lanes commute.

footflaps

I would say Cambridge is much quieter than normal but mainly just as schools are closed so no need to drive a 4×4 500 yards to the school gate. The Yorkshire Dales is also surprisingly quiet this week, possibly because of the flooding in Reeth last week has kept people away.

kennyp
    Free Member

Edinburgh is certainly busy, especially just now with the various festivals on, but we get a bus in to near the centre which is generally fine. Then just walk everywhere. When the schools go off it makes a huge difference to the suburban traffic.

TJ we live on the south side of the city and suspect we get a different perspective on traffic from Leith. Generally speaking I find Edinburgh fine.

tjagain

Aye probably – I tend to go from leith into town on my bike. What is astonishing is the rise in tourists in leith. 10 years ago very few – now its swarming

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

School run is noticeably lower, because it’s the school holidays (shock), but there does seem to be more traffic on the roads in Southampton 0900-1600ish.

Kryton57

London to Dorchester 6am – 2.5hrs

Dorchester to London late afternoon – 5.5 hrs. 🙁

chakaping
    Free Member

Definitely quieter around Manchester

+1

And I drove down to Leicester yesterday morning without hitting a single jam.

johndrummer
    Free Member

M62 as crap as ever between Cas & Bradford westbound in the evening rush. Morning rush eastbound generally a bit quieter, other than this morning.
    Ah well, from Monday I only need to do J26-J29, then up/down the M1 as far as Woolley Edge. Plenty alternative routes avoiding the motorways as needed

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’ve noticed it’s erm no different.

Google had said 30mins to work. in the holidays this has dropped to about 27 mins. Still just as many tractors though.

doris5000

nice and quiet in Bristol.

I live opposite a school and cycle past another 2 on the way to work – which is a university, so that’s quiet too. Lovely

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

As our scottish kids are off school earlier and can snap up cheap holidays while english are still working away, you find most of scotland takes july off. I was at the (usually packed) train first week in July and there were 5 people on the platform and I was the only suit.

Back to proper busy now, festival in town..

Sandwich

Quieter here for commuting in the morning. Afternoon trip back though seems unchanged though that may be due to the recent lorry stunt driving narrowing a lane and restricting the speed on A14.

Yesterday afternoon’s work trip into Norfolk was horrendous.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Summer Hols Traffic – is it just me?’ is closed to new replies.