Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 2,385 total)
  • Suella! Braverman!
  • binners

Bloody communists!!!

… oh…

ernielynch

You’re getting good at this pondo.

Are you a Labour Party member?

kelvin

yet remain silent whenever a Labour government comes to power

We didn’t. And they’re not.

Can we get back to the person the ERG have made the current Home Secretary, and how hostile she can get away with making the UK…

kelvin

Letter

BruceWee

At the risk of being called a troll and accused of point scoring, because it is likely to get a negative reaction from someone (only criticise the Tories not Labour, unless it is to do with Brexit)

Assuming that’s aimed at me, when have I ever given any indication I think Labour are any less racist than the Tories. As you yourself said, they often get cover to be the first to introduce really egregious policies by virtue of not being the Tories.

The problem’s not the Tories or Labour. It’s the racist voters and, to a lesser extent, the FPTP system that means both parties have to chase the racist vote to get elected.

ernielynch

Labour governments going way back before Tony Blair have had a pretty dodgy attitude towards the rights of “foreign” born non-European nationals.

Just look at the shabby treatment of the Chagossians as an example of previous Labour attitude to dark-skinned Brits.

Very little fuss is made concerning Labour governments compared to Tory governments in that respect.

Tony Blair’s record in that area was not good, if you are not aware it makes my point.

tjagain

FFS Bruce.  Ernie may be many things but troll is not one of them.   A troll is someone who makes negative arguments or deliberately inflammatory statements to get a reaction.

You are getting as bad as me for pointless argument and getting wound up by minutiae.  Is that really an acolade you want?  the TJ prize for being an argumentative sod?  🙂

Just look at the shabby treatment of the Chagossians as an example of previous Labour attitude to dark-skinned Brits.

Now that one I have made a fuss about on here.  compare their treatment to the Falkland islanders!

BruceWee

Very little fuss is made concerning Labour governments compared to Tory governments in that respect.

Tony Blair’s record in that area was not good, if you are not aware it makes my point.

Again, I’m agreeing with you. And again, I’ve never had any illusions about Labour. Labour and the Tories have been two cheeks of the same arse since I’ve been old enough to vote. And long before that.

FFS Bruce. Ernie may be many things but troll is not one of them. A troll is someone who makes negative arguments or deliberately inflammatory statements to get a reaction.

That’s a very page 7 attitude TJ. Do try to keep up.

bruneep

Oh dear..

jamj1974

Being dual heritage – English and Mauritian, also passionate about human rights and fairness. This cause is close to my heart.

kimbers

#@%=@# disgraceful that the home office is being used as her personal defense in this

ernielynch

Braverman says that she won’t apologise for using words like “invasion” to discribe immigrants seeking to enter the UK.

If she can talk about an invasion of immigrants whilst speaking from the floor of the House of Commons would the Speaker have no problem if an MP spoke of the time to Braverman’s parents invaded the UK?

Would it be classed as acceptable parliamentary language?

Braverman has talked about her parents not being born in the UK, as she did in the clip mentioned above, I wonder if she has ever described it as part of an invasion?

jkomo

Imagine if she had said:
    ‘You are right, language is important, as is learning from the lessons of our treatment of previous displaced people, I will think carefully before I use words like that in the future, thank you’
    It’s not difficult is it, and she is meant to be a politician, it’s her job to be mindful about what she says.
    I’m glad she’s rubbish at being a politician, as it shows her true colours, unless of course she is being careful, and is thinking much worse.

kerley
    Free Member

Braverman has talked about her parents not being born in the UK, as she did in the clip mentioned above, I wonder if she has ever described it as part of an invasion?

No, because as we know it was different in her case. Although not different in Windrush case. Each period needs to be considered as an invasion or a mass migration and only the racist immigrants can decide which.

ernielynch

Jkomo, Braverman is merely maintaining a long Tory tradition of describing foreigners in derogatory terms, the only thing that is notable is that she is the child of immigrants herself.

Going back to even before she became PM this is what Margaret Thatcher said:

“people are really rather afraid that this country might be rather swamped by people with a different culture”

Much more recently David Cameron, a Tory who strangely rarely seems to get criticised on stw, has used some pretty offensive language in reference to immigrants, including describing them as a “swarm”. Apparently according to Cameron immigrants share similarities with locusts.

And these incendiary words do matter :

Derogatory speech against migrants can lead to murders, UN official warns

kimbers

The irony is that Cameron was trying to warn people that if we voted for Brexit we’d be at risk of 10s of 1000s of illegal immigrants crossing the Channel that we’d be forced to accommodate….

Dehumanising immigrants & scapegoating them for their own failures is populism 101, Braverman knows exactly what she’s doing

Flaperon

To be honest when someone who was actively persecuted by the Nazis tells you, very eloquently, that your choice of language and actions is making you a bit Nazi-ish and you ignore them, you have a problem.

kerley
    Free Member

Only if you don’t want to act like a Nazi, which presumably she knows she is?

binners

I presume the Home Office staff who then went on the offensive to defend her were ‘merely following orders’?

I’m sure a psychologist could have a field day with these children of immigrants (like Braverman, Patel, Zahawi and the PM himself) who appear to have a venomous hatred of immigrants and seem to revel in making their lives as miserable as possible

jkomo

Is good that she makes no attempt to hide her true vile self.

BillOddie

Is good that she makes no attempt to hide her true vile self.

Less good is the clapping from the audience at the end of the full clip.

greyspoke
    Free Member

I’m sure a psychologist could have a field day with these children of immigrants (like Braverman, Patel, Zahawi and the PM himself) who appear to have a venomous hatred of immigrants and seem to revel in making their lives as miserable as possible

Maybe it is a bit more complicated than “immigrants”; to someone of Asian ancestry many immigrants are also “foreigners” whichever way you look at it.

ernielynch

I don’t think that government ministers with South Asian heritage and culture feel venomous hatred towards immigrants, I think they are just ambitious Tories.

If you are a dark skinned member of the Conservative Party you probably need to prove yourself more than most. You are already at a disadvantage just for not being a white and Christian.

With Zahawi, Braverman, and Sunak, you have a Muslim, a Buddhist, and a Hindu, I don’t know how well that goes down in local Conservative Associations but I can imagine a certain amount of unease among some. Especially as these are very senior ministers that we are talking about – not just local councillors.

ElShalimo

…. but their twuntery is a personal choice to help them climb the greasy pole.

kelvin

You can always buy your way into Britain…

…but suspended for Russian oligarchs.

BruceWee

Another dead cat or just so incompetent she was accidentally honest?

tjagain

Oh she is properly incompetent all right

dissonance

You can always buy your way into Britain…

With the added bonus once thats done then they could legally donate to the tories.

ernielynch

https://news.sky.com/story/home-secretary-suella-braverman-to-visit-rwanda-as-asylum-deal-remains-mired-in-legal-challenges-12836448

Ms Braverman said she was visiting Rwanda this weekend to “reinforce the government’s commitment to the partnership as part of our plan to stop the boats and discuss plans to operationalise our agreement shortly”.

In others words the trip is a publicity stunt.

Any need to “discuss plans to operationalise our agreement shortly” could have been satisfied by picking up a telephone.

This will give the Daily Mail, Telegraph, and Express, the opportunity to plaster photos across their pages giving publicity to the government’s hugely expensive and unworkable scheme.

tjagain

The Guardian and other critical media are not allowed on the trip

ernielynch

Well obviously not….. this publicity stunt is suppose to bring good publicity, not bad publicity!

somafunk

Anyone work for Air traffic control or knows how to crack their system?, it seems to me that the easiest way to put this Braverman/right wing press thing to bed would be to direct the flight over Ukrainian airspace. – kill two birds with one stone so to speak.

binners

She may as well have gone to ****ing Disneyland for all the likelihood of an actual workable policy emerging from it.

They’re not even pretending to be a serious government any more. Its just government by tabloid headline. I’d like to know how much this succession of stunts is costing us all? This Rwanda farce must be into the billions by now with all the legal fees etc and they know as well as we do that the best they can hope for as an outcome is a token couple of flights of brown people taking a heavily subsidised trip out to Africa.

Its pure culture war bollocks as shown by the small list of ‘guests’ Cruella took with her. I expect we’ll be seeing a lot more of this now. With anyone who refuses to tow the government line being shut out. It tells you everything that the BBC is verbotten but GeeBeebies are along for the ride

politecameraaction
    Free Member

I’m sure a psychologist could have a field day with these children of immigrants (like Braverman, Patel, Zahawi and the PM himself) who appear to have a venomous hatred of immigrants

Zahawi is an immigrant. Johnson is also a (repeat) immigrant.

kelvin

Sunak was in the process of becoming an immigrant… in the USA.

mildred

I’d like to know how much this succession of stunts is costing us all? This Rwanda farce must be into the billions by now with all the legal fees etc

A “bargain” when compared to HS2 😳

frankconway

She needs the air miles; nothing more to it than that…

colournoise

If it impresses her that much, she could just go and live there?

Poopscoop

Insert you own mad laugh to go along with this pic.

Sandwich

Laughing chaps

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 2,385 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.