Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 1,294 total)
  • STW Zwift Race Series 3 – Winter
  • robbo1234biking

Hello all and welcome to the thread for the 3rd STW Zwift Series. This time we will be meeting up in Winter when it is perhaps less desirable to ride outside. I have got in early with the thread recognising that people might be busy over the next couple of weeks.

Because we are MTBers and you might be missing some fat tyre action, this series has a bit of a twist – in order to tie-in with both STW and Zwift and to promote the MTB aspect the entire series will be ridden on a MTB. If you don’t have a personal MTB then it will default you to the Zwift MTB – the good news is there isn’t much to choose between them so it will equalize the playing field!

Because of this tie-in we have been able to be a bit more extravagant on course choices and there should be a few that throw chaos into the ranks.

There will be 3 races within the race as previously with an extra special optional 4th race that you can choose to join in with.

1. The main handicap race – as per previous events a handicap will be applied to your finish time based on your weight and FTP and the entire group is sorted by race time plus handicap and points distributed accordingly. This is based on the best of 5 races points from the 6 races (all sprint points count towards this total).

2. The sprint jersey – Sprint points are awarded for the Top 5 finishers on a sprint section (10,6,4,2,1 points) or the fastest lap time on circuit race. The points are awarded on each sprint section on a race but only for the fastest time across that section during the whole race (i.e you may get a couple of chances to get a good time).

3. The GC race – This is based on the shortest time to complete all 6 stages and is sorted by traditional Zwift cat. The zwift cat is determined on the weight and FTP that you supply me so may not match your ZP cat as that takes historical data into account.

This series there is an optional 4th race event. There are no points awarded for this event but the winner gets bragging rights! Throughout the whole event you can complete the Repack Ridge section on Zwift. This is the steering section. There are details here on how to find it – https://zwiftinsider.com/find-zwifts-new-mountain-bike-steering-course/. So between the 5th January and the 9th Feb have a go at this course and see if you can get the fastest time. I will keep a record of the times – just grab a screenshot at the end, let me know you time and how many stars you achieved for the steering element. For every star missed 10 seconds will be added to your time (the maximum score is 10) so precision as well as speed is rewarded. As not everyone has steering there are no points awarded for this but should be fun to see how everyone gets on with the top 3 declared on the 9th Feb!

So onto the courses and dates for this Race Series…

5th January 19:30 – Jungle Circuit (3 laps)
    A tough lap for 3 races with the climb and the sprint across the bridge. Starts from the pens near the windmill so you have to get to the start line first. Sprint points are awarded for the fastest lap time.
    https://zwiftinsider.com/route/jungle-circuit/

12th January 19.30 – Bologna TT Circuit
    Up the hill in Bologna just the once. Should be short and sharp! This will be on MTBs but using the TT launch – riders will go off in 10 second intervals and there will be no drafting so it is purely you vs the course.
    https://zwiftinsider.com/route/time-trial-lap/

19th January 19:30 – Road to Ruins
    This has been done as a STW Hare and Hounds race before. There are no hares or hounds this time but this makes for an interesting circuit going from the seaside area onto the jungle before racing back into town.
    https://zwiftinsider.com/route/road-to-ruins/

26th January 19:30 – Crit City (Downtown Dolphin – 8 Laps)
    A fat tyre crit! This should really mix it up. There will be lapping and general chaos on this route due to the short length. Again expect a short sharp attempt! Sprint points awarded for the mini-climb prime section and for the fastest lap time.
    https://zwiftinsider.com/route/downtown-dolphin/

2nd February 19.30 – Seaside Sprint (4 laps)
    Something different that isn’t often on the calendar. The esses make for great racing and lots of opportunities to bag the sprint points. Points also awarded for the fastest lap time.
    https://zwiftinsider.com/route/seaside-sprint/

9th February 19:30 – Keith Hill Afterparty
    The queen stage once again at the end. A good climb to finish the series on. Sprint points awarded for the one sprint section.
    https://zwiftinsider.com/route/keith-hill-after-party/

How do I sign up?
    Either post on here letting me know your FTP and weight or send me a PM. Latest date to accept FTP and weight changes (recognising that it is Christmas) will be the 3rd Jan. Once you register I will send you the links over for the races which will open up in the Zwift Companion app and allow you to join!

If you cant make all the races – don’t worry. Join in where you can as the more people join in the better the event.

I look forward to seeing you all (virtually) on the start line!

weeksy

Awesome mate.. I’ll try my best to come and play a bit more to help break up winter. 🙂

I’ll be starting with a different FTP though i think.

Love the MTB plan.. 😀

nixie

Yes please. Fitness regain plan has already started. Love the MTB action. With the speed reduction this will bring going.tommake the draft leas effective as well. I assume.yiunare assigning bikes rather than needing everyone to pick a MTB?

robbo1234biking

Yeh the events will assign you onto a MTB (if you don’t have one you get the standard Zwift one).

jimdubleyou

Count me in 🙂

I’ll do a weigh in and a ramp test before the 3rd…

stumpy01

Yeah, count me in. I don’t think my details have changed drastically, but I’ll also do a weigh-in & ramp test before the 3rd to update the awesome power gains that Christmas will undoubtedly bring!

funkybaj
    Free Member

I’m in!

My new smart trainer arrived this morning, so a few weeks to get used to actually feeling the hills in Zwift.

My FTP is going to plummet too.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Fastest lap points on dolphin and seaside? Dear lord you are evil.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Due to my work shift pattern and the 1930 start (pre dinner at ~1730 would work much better for me, but I appreciate I’m probably in a tiny minority in this regard), my attendance will be sporadic, but please put me down for a spot.

I’ll give my depressing stats closer to the start date!

benman
    Free Member

I’m in, weight and FTP to be confirmed 🙂

zilog6128

awesome, good call with the bikes, maybe we should do an en masse group warm-up/cooldown so we can have a big group of bumblebee MTBs trundling around Watopia 🤣

Excellent that the support of Zwift is continuing giving us access to the special routes, etc… funny that we will have a more professional TT start than the Thursday WTRL Team Time Trial 😂😂

w00dster

Yep I’m in please. Hopefully I’ll be able to do more events in this series.

haloric
    Free Member

Looking forward to it, I have it on some good authority (Eric Min) that there will be some gravel routes in the next update, whenever that is.

He posted a few pictures during his last ride I understand.

snotrag

Yes please, I’ve been a bit ad-hoc through the previous two series but really enjoyed it!

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

In!

drew

Me too please.

savoyad

I’m in. Looks great. Looking forward to it. I will update my weight and FTP after Christmas!

I notice you didn’t borrow zwiftinsider’s description of Keith Hill Afterparty as a “mostly flat route”.

oopnorth
    Free Member

Nah….why the hell would I want to get involved in this??? It was painful and I was slow before, now I have to do it on a MTB??? Are you crazy??

Count me in! 😉

scaredypants

I’m in(ish, as usual)

Some of those routes’ll take a while on an MTB won’t they ? Do you have an idea how long for any of them Robbo ?

robbo1234biking

Everything will be under the hour (some under 30 mins – Bolgna) apart from Keith Hill which I think might be in the 1 he 15 min region depending how fast you are!

The MTB is slower but not massively so – think 3-4 mins over the space of an hour ride.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Yep I think I’ll have my mojo back by then. Barely done anything recently so no way my ftp is still what it was. I’ll need to send a revised figure once I’ve done a ramp test.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

The MTB is slower but not massively so – think 3-4 mins over the space of an hour ride.

So really what you’re saying is it’ll just be beer and wine and brandy and port and turkey and pigs in blankets and Christmas pudding and cheese and and mince pies and chocolate and cake to blame when we’re 20 minutes slower than usual round bologna?

jamesoz

Count me in please, hoping not to need any mid race sit downs or have any electronicals next year.

giggsmaster
    Free Member

I’ll be up for that robbo, though I may miss a few with work commitments. Have to try and find a gym with a wattbike close to where I’m working me thinks!

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Yes please.

paino

Type 2 freezing cold garage fun you say? In.

Burger

Splendid. Count me in. I’ll update my stats post Xmas if when they have moved.

munkeymadness
    Free Member

Thanks for organising. Count me in please.

neilarn2

Count me in Robbo same numbers, going to do a new test over Xmas so will update then.

cheers

Straightliner

Got to be done really….

lewisdeacon

i am in too – not sure i can make all of those but will join what I can

mossimus
    Free Member

Yes please. Will supply ftp and post Xmas weight!! in NY.

dazh

Yes please. Stats to be confirmed post-Xmas 😀

retrorick

I’m in. Looking forward to riding the mtb. Is there a Tron mtb I can work towards over the next few weeks 😉

andeh

Yes please Robbo! I’ll confirm ftp and weight once I’ve accounted for all the pies in Jan 🙂

Oblongbob

I’m in. Sounds like an interesting mix and loads of routes I’ve never seen before. FTP and weight to follow.

J-R

After the last six sessions of sublime suffering, why would I possibly say no.

So count me in please Robbo.

feed

Count me in again please Rob. Will do ramp test in Jan.

rmprest
    Free Member

Had a bit of a tough time in my home life so missed the autumn series races.

Count me in for this one please Rob, great shout on the MTB’s as well!

kirky72
    Free Member

Count me in please.

Just a thought, like some people did on the jungle route previously can we switch bikes to something lighter and more aero on parts don’t suit the MTB?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 1,294 total)

The topic ‘STW Zwift Race Series 3 – Winter’ is closed to new replies.