Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 148 total)
  • STW Northern Peaks Chapter Pootle – Marple, Sat 9th Oct
  • sambob
    Free Member

I might have to drop out short as i have to be in castleton in the afternoon sometime, not sure when yet but this looks good 🙂

nbt

DeeJay – Member

Looks like a two and half hour trip for me according to google maps

Whoops, missed that sorry DeeJay! Is 9.30 a bit ambitious for you?

PaulMc
    Free Member

One of us will be there. Hopefully.

DeeJay
    Free Member

Whoops, missed that sorry DeeJay! Is 9.30 a bit ambitious for you?

As I can’t seem to sleep passed 4.30am at the moment I don’t think it will be a problem – might even be early 😉

nbt

PaulMc – Member

Great, have a couple of CDs for you that I’ve been meaning to post for three weeks ! 😀

DeeJay – Member

As I can’t seem to sleep passed 4.30am at the moment I don’t think it will be a problem

😯 . Getting up at 6.30 for work is hard enough for me! They do bacon butties and coffee at Roman lakes if you are peckish on arrival 🙂

Bunnyhop

PaulMc –

OOh I hope it’s Avril 😉

PaulMc
    Free Member

T’is OK Jane, I’m not sensitive 😉

I did originally consider volunteering her as stoker.

brooess
    Free Member

I’m in. Weather permitting
    Geetee – I think we met on the STW Surrey Hills ride earlier this year – Peter Poddy was on it, and WCA with his boot open. Nick Njee organised it IIRC?

LoveTubs
    Free Member

Missed the last one, hope to make this one… 😉

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I’d love to, but at work unfortunately. I’ll be fighting the number 42 bus on my way into Manchester.

sambob
    Free Member

I should be able to do it all, i need to be at mam tor at half 2(ish) 🙂

eth3er
    Free Member

I’ll be there.

sambob
    Free Member

With a seatpost clamp that works this time? 😉

eth3er
    Free Member

You missed the one where I turned up with no back brakes, or the one where I forgot the helmet at home.

sambob
    Free Member

you missed the one where i turned up with no front brake. And i have been all the way to the lakes before realising i didn’t have my helmet 🙁

geetee1972
    Free Member

Geetee – I think we met on the STW Surrey Hills ride earlier this year

Brooess – I was on the Surrey Hills one at the start of the summer. What bike were you on (easierst way to remember someone!) I was in the slow riders camp with Peter.

This is sort of local territory for me also. I grew up locally and used to ride around Marple Cross as a teenager!

This one wil be a cool meet though beause I’m dragging my brother up for the ride also. He’s a roadie (and a good one. Well under the hour for a 25 mile TT!) but has the heart of an MTBer. He was at school with a few other guys from here so it’s something of a school reunion as well as an STW ride!

Will be a lot of fun regardless of the weather!

slowrider
    Free Member

I’m out. Snowdon be beckons!

brooess
    Free Member

Geetee: black Cotic Soul. I had the special flat tyre that came out of nowhere. I think we were in the same group, although don’t remember being particularly slow! 😉

simonm
    Free Member

I used to live in Marple (Pre-Mtbing days), are there good routes around there ?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Simon, yes there are excellent routes around Marple. They are very accessible, sheltered from the weather (well more so that the routes over Kinder et al) and a lot of fun. You’re never going up for very long and the descents tend to be tighter and yet seemingly faster.

Roman Lakes area is a good starting point and then up to Marple Cross, over the back towards Rowarth (ranks as one of the best descents in the area) etc. Great riding.

eth3er
    Free Member

Anybody need a lift from Sheffield?

monksie
    Free Member

Mellor Cross a-c-t-u-a-l-l-y 🙂

nbt

Bump. One day to go. Good weather on order, forecast is for 20 dec c!

Details for getting here on this post

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/stw-northern-peaks-chapter-pootle-marple-sat-9th-oct/page/2#post-1848193

any questions?

BadlyWiredDog

What tyres do I need?

nbt

What tyres do I need?

What bike are you riding? I’d go for a 32C myself 😉

BadlyWiredDog

Tubeless or ghetto or tubed? Would tubs be a good option round there? What I might do is pack some folders just in case my initial choice is wrong. Anyone else bringing spares?

MartynS

Anyone else bringing spares?

no,

I’ve been out and dropped various sets of tyres around the route so I can maximise the experience.
    Slicks for the short road climb, then a quick swap to downhill tyres for maximum radosity, racing 1.9 for the middle bit, then tubeless all rounders to finish.
    It really is the only way to ride these days
    Can someone bring an eu calibrated digital pressure gauge, if any of these rude boys are even 1/2 a psi out it’ll ruin my day…..

BadlyWiredDog

Pointless imho. If you’re going to do that, just stash spare bikes along the route. Amateurish approach with the tyres.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Martyn the really sad thing is that I actually have a digital pressure gauge with me! Latest on turner junior is that his car has a broken wheel bearing and is off the road until tomorrow so he’s trying to sort out a hire car.

nbt

I have a list of 32 people who’ve said they’re definite / possible /would like to attend. Might be a big one, this…

BadlyWiredDog

I might have a couple of mates along with me as well btw… Might be even bigger 🙂

monksie
    Free Member

“Are you joining us Monksie?”

No. Soz. I’m going the other way.

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

Don’t think I’ll be able to provide cake for more than 20 so since I’m joining the ride when it comes past my house after the hard climb up from Roman Lakes, and it is a first come first served for the cake, that should motivate people not to be sluggish on the first big climb!!

Popocatapetl

Not sure which post we’re posting on, but i’ve been given a leave pass from baby duties/swimming lessons until 1230hrs at which time i’ll head off. see you all tomorrow.

LoveTubs
    Free Member

Children all day….have a good one 🙂

amodicumofgnar

Masters students all day… have fun

nbt

Hope you’ve all got your cakes ready, Mrs NBT’s down in the kitchen now.

At least I *THINK* thats the hand mixer I can hear….

sambob
    Free Member

If you’d reminded me earlier i could have made one…..

BadlyWiredDog

Cheers guys – great mellow ride round and I even learned a new bit of singletrack, which was a bit of a bonus. Thanks all for being good company 🙂 Jon (as was on the orange Ragley as people seem to recognise each other by bike, even though I barely notice what anyone else rides 😉 )

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 148 total)

The topic ‘STW Northern Peaks Chapter Pootle – Marple, Sat 9th Oct’ is closed to new replies.