Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 148 total)
  • STW Northern Peaks Chapter Pootle – Marple, Sat 9th Oct
  • amodicumofgnar

Work stops play unfortunately.

slowrider
    Free Member

sambob – Member

Hopefully we won't have to show them proper bad weather

+1 8)

lyons
    Free Member

Pah, you peaks riders don't know proper riding… I may have to come up from the chilterms myself to show you how to corner properly…

BadlyWiredDog

Pah, you peaks riders don't know proper riding… I may have to come up from the chilterms myself to show you how to corner properly…

You'll be hard pushed to do that, there are no corners round here. Just rocks and grit and more rocks 😉

lyons
    Free Member

You're right, not sure why I like riding in the peaks so much to be honest…

slowrider
    Free Member

corners are overrated

sambob
    Free Member

You're just being modest because you're rapid slowrider 😉

Alex

You promised us Cake as well NBT! I'm fine without corners, malverns are basically a straight line end to end then you turn round 🙂 Nige is coming as well tho as a Surrey Hills sort of chap may find the whole thing a bit odd.

I hope they are proper hills. No point wasting a good push 😉

sambob
    Free Member

How about something from hayfield again nbt? something like twenty trees, rowarth, Lantern pike, Birch Vale, New allotments, Peep-o-Day, coldwell clough, campsite descent? then food in the George or the Pack horse?

slowrider
    Free Member

id like to do that jacobs ladder ride again sometime, twas a goodun

Bunnyhop

Yep, cake from me too.

Alex – which of your 50 odd bikes are you bringing?

nbt

No Sambob, this is a Marple ride. Current thinking is start at Roman Lakes, up Shielan, Nield's way, zig zags to Aspenshaw Hall, Last Drop to Rowarth, through to Mellor Hall, Smithy Lane and Gird Lane, back to Mellor Hall, Gibb Lane and finish down Linnet's Clough, back to base in time for tea, cake and medals.

It'll be reet. Trust me, I'm a linguist

geetee1972
    Free Member

Hey Jules/Jane – missed this thread when you started it. Looks like we have a good selection of victims, I mean riding companions!

What bike are you guys going to be taking? The drop to Rowarth makes me think the Nic but I'm sort of tempted to get all hardcore and come on my HT.

There's a chance that I'll be able to persuade my brother to come up as well. If we were able to persuade MartynS and his mates (Si M and Marcus) then it might give our kid the kick up the jacksee he neesd to get in the car and drive over.

Route sounds good; will it also take in the drop from mellor cross?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Nige is coming as well tho as a Surrey Hills sort of chap may find the whole thing a bit odd

Who is this chap and what bike does he ride? I'm coming up from Surrey Hills myself, though I grew up (well sort of, I use the term loosely) up there so cut my teeth, literally in some instances, on peak gritstone!

sambob
    Free Member

If you say so……. 😉

nbt

What bike are you guys going to be taking?

Seeing as I haven’t got a stoker for the tandem, I’ll rode the Blue Pig as no-one wants to buy it and todays ride has reminded me how much I like it 🙂

Route sounds good; will it also take in the drop from mellor cross?

Errm, we can make it in a convoluted way if people are still gagging for more riding, but it’s not currently in there

Who is this chap and what bike does he ride?

Swinley 08 (6 of 12) by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Marcus has just become a daddy for the second time, so may not be allowed out to play – she’ll only be 6 weeks I think? Souter’s definitely in though, he’s booked the day off work he says

will
    Free Member

Ah shame I’m riding dusk till Dawn… Have a good un

Alex

Yep, that’s Nige at Swinley. I’ve ridden with him in the Peaks while he’s been on that Soda. And watched him overtake some of the FS boys which is always amusing 🙂

Which Bike? I dunno, I’m down to my last 4!

Bunnyhop

Yes we’ll be taking in the drop down past Mellor cross with it’s choice of various steep trails to fall/ride/slip down, then down to ‘The Banks’.

geetee1972 – Nige is NOT Dave 😉

Edit: I just realised geetee, we’ll be riding down the lane where we very first met you, all those years ago (when you were lost), arrhhh 🙂

Pook

Birthday karting for me jules old chap. Enjoy!

geetee1972
    Free Member

Bunnyhop I’ve got a warm fuzzy feeling already! Oh no hang on a minute. I think I might have just wet myself.

Actually jules pointed that spot out when we did our ride at the start of the summer. We stopped and had a little moment together ;0)

Speaking of Dave. Despite being out regularly over the last four months I’ve still not ‘bumped’ into him since that whole thread. And this despite the fact that up to that point I’d seen him pretty much every ride.

portlyone

I fancy a pootle too.

slowrider
    Free Member

Hey all,

Not to start a pootle war or anything but I’m considering an overnight to snowdon to ride the rangers path on the same weekend. Loose plan would be drive down Friday, ride Saturday and then head back Saturday night or Sunday. Anyone interested?

richpips
    Free Member

I’ll come if I’m not otherwise engaged.

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

nbt, love the sound of the route. I’ve even managed to plant a seed in my husbands mind that he will be able to do it too and even taken him on a training ride this morning! And considering he had a headache inducing squeeky BB, suffered a snapped chain and big bulge of innertube poking out of the rear tyre he actually enjoyed it! (Some bike maintenance scheduled in before the ride though!)

Bunnyhop

Don’t forget one of your famous cakes No_discerning_taste 🙂

If it’s a chilly as today, a hot toddy may be in order.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I may be able to make this one 🙂

nbt

Bumpity bump. Will post details of the start point and route when I get chance (DIY and bike fettling to be done) but those keen can check this thread for some ideas

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/stw-ride-maple-stockport-now-sunday-8th-october-revised-date#post-736278

giantjason
    Free Member

is this ride still taking place on sat 8th?

what time?

nbt

giantjason – Member

is this ride still taking place on sat 8th?

what time?

Saturday is the 9th Oct, and yes, it is going ahead. Shall we say 9.30 for 9.45? It’s a pootle, there’s no particular rush so we might be out for a few hours. We’ll be passing plenty of potential sources of refreshment and victuals, and have plenty of options to play with the route length. Recommendations for local hostelries will be available pre- or post-ride should anyone wish to sample the local delights!

so, details:

Meeting point will be Roman Lakes in Marple
    http://www.romanlakes.co.uk/
    Nearest Post Code SK6 7HB
    http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=396955&Y=387855&A=Y&Z=120

The best way is to come down Lakes Road from the middle of Marple.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=53.396381,-2.075644&daddr=Lakes+Rd+to:Unknown+road&hl=en&geocode=%3BFdC0LgMd86vg_w%3BFVGhLgMdtr3g_w&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=0&sz=15&via=1&sll=53.395792,-2.065129&sspn=0.017401,0.038581&ie=UTF8&ll=53.395281,-2.059636&spn=0.017401,0.038581&t=h&z=15

Google maps seems to be fixated on sending people down Linnet Clough. Technically it’s a road and your Sat Nav may direct you that way too, but it’s not really too suitable for your average car. You’ll find this out as it’ll probably be the last descent 😀

Following feedback from people who struggled to find the meeting point on last year’s ride, this is the streetview you’re looking for

http://lyxus.net/gyja

Note the green fingerpost sign pointing to roman lakes. The postcode for that sign is SK6 7DF

Route map to follow once I’ve had time to map it out!

dale
    Free Member

fancy a ride else where so (crossing fingers) would love to come 🙂

nbt

Bump for’t t’morning crowd 🙂

DeeJay
    Free Member

Looks like a two and half hour trip for me according to google maps – I know the 50mph is in force on the A1M – anybody know know if its still on the M62??

nbt – shall I bring my flasks? – full of course 😀

funkynick

I’m still planning on popping along… rather looking forward to it as I haven’t ridden around that area before…

slowrider – Member

Hey all,

Not to start a pootle war or anything but I’m considering an overnight to snowdon to ride the rangers path on the same weekend. Loose plan would be drive down Friday, ride Saturday and then head back Saturday night or Sunday. Anyone interested?

slowrider… from this can I assume you won’t be wanting a lift now?

Pook

bump again. I’m still not coming though sadly

nparker

I’m Nige on the Soda and looking forward to it NBT. I’ve roped in a couple of others – father and son (local to Peaks). The son may turn up on his unicycle 😯

nbt

Route map ready!

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/gb/marple/217128576125484276

Let me know if you can’t see it. If you can see it, there are plenty of obvious opportunities to cut the ride short or even just wait at a local hostelry 😀

Be good to see you again Nige 🙂

slowrider
    Free Member

Funkynick, I’m undecided! Waiting to see what the weather will be like cos I’m not doing snowdon in a storm again. Ever.

funkynick

Wheres your sense of adventure?

;o)

nbt

I’ve had a question sent which I think is worth sharing

That route on mapmyride…
    er it looks like it has a lot of road on it. And not that long. I know it’s a pootle sort of ride but I’m wondering if it is going to be as good as my normal hunting ground around Derwent.

A good question and one worth answering

So, the route is 15 miles. At a frantic pace you’d be round that route in 2 hours. Missing the loop round gird lane / smithy lane (i.e. from milepost 7 we went to milepost 13 without the intervening 8-12), GeeTee1972 and I took about 1hr 45 to do it without busting a gut. Given that, I’d expect to be out for about 4 hours with the kind of faffage you get on a group ride.

And yes, there’s some road. Not as much as the route guide might suggest, as quite a lot of the stuff marked as roads on that view are in fact BOATS (passable by cars with care) or even just bridleways. Several “roads” shown on there are footpaths, but we won’t be riding any on this route. At a rough guess, there’s about 4.5 miles of road work (from a 15 mile route), and it’s mostly height gain on road with the descending off road – there is some off road climbing though and sadly one road descent where there’s just no other option.

As for how the riding compares to Derwent – well, none of the descents are as long as you get round Derwent as there isn’t the height differential, but they’re all still Bloody Great. The Last Drop to Rowarth (mile post 6, aka the 39 steps in some circles apparently) is fantastic, one of my favourite descents ever. Smithy Lane (mile 9) and Gird Lane (mile 10) are both great. The Banks (13.5) is great and the final descent along Linnet’s clough (14 onwards) is proper “foot out flat out”. If people are up for more riding then after The Banks, instead of turning right (north) we could turn left, retrace the route to milepost 2 and do the Fox Inn descent, then loop back to the very first climb to come back up for the “official” last descent of Linnet’s clough. That would add on maybe 3 miles? I’m just aware this is supposed to be Pootle pace and the last Marple ride was 26 miles (out to Chinley churn and middle moor) and nearly killed me.

Any more?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 148 total)

The topic ‘STW Northern Peaks Chapter Pootle – Marple, Sat 9th Oct’ is closed to new replies.