Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • STW Advice – Dialled Alpine MK3 or Stanton Slackline 631
  • MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I’ve narrowed my hardtail choice down to one of these two frames.

Both have geometry that i like and the only real difference is the 631 tubing and the seatpost size. Price is simillar but the Alpine i have to wait two weeks for and i’m not, as daft as it is, happy with the colour choices really.

Anyone have any preferences or advice at which one to go for?

Oh i will be running 140 forks and a 2×10 drivetrain.

This will be my only bike and it is mostly for larking about in the woods.

Thanks

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Tough call Id like both. Slack line probably.

stevede
    Free Member

Slackline (biased ti slackline owners viewpoint).

winch
    Free Member

I think you’re waiting for an Alpine, since you’ve not pulled the trigger on the Slackline already!

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I’ve always lusted over an Alpine and the mk3 ticks all boxes. Except I’m impatient and I don’t really want white or orange.

Or do I?

banks
    Free Member

Sorry to be a knob but unless your going for the Ti slackline – just get a Bfe!

winch
    Free Member

BFe geometry is very different.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Yeah I had a BFe and ruled it out. What makes you say it’s better than the Alpine and Slackline?

Cost wise the Slackline and Alpine are similar to the BFe at the minute with preorders and sales.

banks
    Free Member

Cheaper – money saved = new pikes 😀

Of course, depends what you wanted it for, i went for a Bfe for bigger all rides and everything inbetween.

mattjg
    Free Member

Have never ridden either but I had a Dialled Love/Hate and loved it, and I think white is second only to black for a frame colour.

matther01
    Free Member

Just watched the Alpine vid (bloody music’s awful) and it does look v. nice.

winch
    Free Member

On paper out of the two, the Alpine looks like the better all day bike, the Slackline slightly more of a play thing.

coogan
    Free Member

Had my Alpine from when they first came out. Love that bike, it is such a hoot to ride. I’d say Alpine, but I’ve never tried a Slackline, so can’t say what it’s like in comparison.

So, to sum up, Alpine. :mrgreen:

kudos100
    Free Member

Owned a mk2 alpine and ridden the slackline.

I’d take the slackline every time.

mattjg
    Free Member

@op youre going to have years of fun on this bike, don’t let a 2 week wait decide it.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Yeah true, the Slackline sort of popped up cheap.

I loved my old PA in Kawasaki green so I know I’d love the Alpine it’s just a lot of money and colour, as much as it shouldn’t, does play a part.

bobbyspangles

Slackline.

Ride mine relentlessly and it really brings the trails alive.

Seriously though, Slackline. Run it with 140mm forks and nice light wheels and a short stem/wide bars-it is a great bike and very maneuverable in all the situations i have forced it into.

souldrummer
    Free Member

As I long-time Alpine owner you can guess where my recommendation would go -great all day bike – plus it’s 853 not 631. As regards colour, wasn’t Mike doing a bespoke colour option??

winch
    Free Member

wasn’t Mike doing a bespoke colour option??

Yes, but not on the preorders and for an extra £50 over retail. Not bad value but £150 more than preordering a white or orange one.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Yeah, I think if in honest I want the Alpine. I’d only be getting the Stanton based in colour.

Not a good enough reason is it.

alpin
    Free Member

Alpine better steel and a proven design with great back up (and they produce a t-shirt stating “steel is real”)…

Stanton, cheaper steel. not been around so long.

Bfe, overpriced and beefed up gas pipes with geometry optimised for 120mm fork. (and a mate recently snapped his chain stay after two years).

MrFannay
    Free Member

Slackline for 15 months now, rode both plus BFe and a Genesis before deciding none of them cornered like the Slackline also it’s the first hardtail I’ve been able to ride all day with no lower back pain (old git) the FS Yeti that cost twice as much hardly see’s the light of day.

150mm Revs, 2×10 & chaindevice, 50mm stem 760 bars….. an absolute hoot 😀

Edit: PS, once airbourne it feels absolutely neutral 50/50 balance if you like that sort of thing, very confidence inspiring

mattjg
    Free Member

Yeah, I think if in honest I want the Alpine. I’d only be getting the Stanton based in colour.

Not a good enough reason is it.

No.

As for the price difference, average it out over the lifetime, it’s not significant.

Rickos
    Free Member

What’s the chain stay length on the Alpine. I’d wager the short chain stays on the Stanton play quite a part in its ride character. They may be very different in how they ride so what are you after?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Alpine 16.73
    Slackline 16.3

It’s for doing everything on but mostly in my local woods.

mattjg
    Free Member

It’s for doing everything on

Alpine!

but mostly in my local woods.

Slackline!

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Ha, thanks mate. Alpine it is. I best give Mike his mine then.

timmys

Pfft!

(still not ridden it before you ask!)

lungman

I’ve ridden/own both ok original alpine that was a great bike downhill but sluggish otherwise. I thought the bfe was overrated but must be honest I love the slackline a great hard tail lively and surprisingly comfortable for a hard tail. Ok I have the ti version but the geo is the same.

Brown
    Free Member

Bfe, overpriced

Yet cheaper than either a Slackline or an Alpine. Or pretty much anything else bar an On One

and beefed up gas pipes

Yet an 853 down tube…

with geometry optimised for 120mm fork,

You want more? On a hardtail? And they ride very well with 140…

(and a mate recently snapped his chain stay after two years).

So did mine. And Cy replaced it for him.

You don’t really know what you’re talking about, do you?

I’d not mention it if you weren’t talking such complete bobbines, but I’ve won Gravity Enduro rounds (hardtail cat) and podiumed at 24 hr races on them. So yeah, rubbish bikes. Souls/Bfes are great fun.

On the other hand, I’ve just bought a Slackline. It’s not as well finished, but it’s longer, lower and stiffer. Better at playing in the woods and going fast downhill, but also heavier and possibly a little less lively for XC stuff. Depends what you’re after. I now have the Slackline built up for ‘fun’ and my battered Soul for XC.

I’ve not ridden an Alpine.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I’ve nothing against Cotic, in fact if Souls were in stock in small I’d be posting pictures of my build now. My budget is £500 max but the less the better.

The BFe, again, comes down to colour choice. I had a gritstone and i’d like something different, I just don’t like the green.

That slackline is beautiful.

Does anyone happen to know the standover on the 16.5 Slackline?

Brown
    Free Member

Not me, sorry, mine’s an 18. It is loads of fun to ride though.

peterfile
    Free Member

Classic STW recommend-your-own-bike, slate-one-you’ve-never-ridden and defend-your-own-purchase-at-all-costs 🙂

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I’d love to try them both first but it’s just not feasible.

Does anyone know how the orange Dialled use compares to the orange cotic use for the soul?

Cheers for all the advice.

mattjg
    Free Member

I can help there ->

Both since moved on as I got into 29ers, FWIW I preferred the ride of the Love/Hate to the Soul. I’m thinking I should have kept it actually. They’re both size small, I thought the L/H was a medium and sold it that way then the buyer had to correct me!

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Ha, singletrack world is awesome. Quickest response ever with pics.

Cheers mate

winch
    Free Member

I doubt you’ll find out before the pre-order offer is no more 😛

winch
    Free Member

HA!

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I’ve already pre ordered mate. Decision made.

winch
    Free Member

Maybe we need a “waiting for an Alpine support group” thread 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘STW Advice – Dialled Alpine MK3 or Stanton Slackline 631’ is closed to new replies.