Viewing 40 posts - 1,961 through 2,000 (of 3,879 total)
  • STW 2014/15 Rugby Thread
  • IdleJon

anagallis_arvensis – Member

It looks like the midget 9 ducks into webbs armpit to my eye!

Nah, I reckon that Webb, knowing he was about to high tackle, swung his arm over the Scot’s head, deliberately missing him. 😉

😆

bigblackshed

It was just after Faletau arrived on the scene, I was watching a Wales v England match with some mates and a few comments about both sides with very obvious non “British” players. When I was asked were Faletau was “from”, I replied one of the islands (meaning the South Pacific islands, not being sure at that point myself).

One of the lads replied with “What, Barry Island?”

You might have needed to be there with some beers on board, but it was quite funny at the time.

anagallis_arvensis

Faletau and the Vunipola’s are cousins. Maku speaks with a welsh accent all three grew up in Wales. Should have got those two into the welsh system. Billy at 8, Talupe at 6 and Captain Sam at 7 would be one **** awesome backrow!!

anagallis_arvensis

Talupe looks **** tiny in that pic. Reminds of the pizza hut add with Tony Underwood and Lomu!!!

toys19
    Free Member

And I think this might be aimed at some of you

@JiffyRugby:
    Whatever you say as a co commentator you can’t please everyone. #sotoughshit

Anyone who expects Jiffy not to be one eyed is expecting the impossible.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Whatever you say as a cheerleader you can’t please anyone who isn’t Welsh.

It just proves that being a great player doesn’t make you a great commentator. Jiffy’s a nice bloke and all but he’s a frigging awful commentator and just really annoying to listen to.

He’s OK in the studio but they shouldn’t let him behind the mike.

I’ ve seen Shane Horgan somewhere – was it on BT Sport? – and I thought he came over surprisingly well. As does BOD, obviously.

wrecker
    Free Member

Can’t help but like the bloke. He is unashamedly biased and makes no apology for it “#sotoughshit” and I admire that. He is generally fair on the subject of fouls and referee decisions, unlike Wood and Nicol, who will just blame the oppo even if it’s plain to see.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Davies, Wood, Nicol, Guscott etc are all employed because they’re partisan. It’s what they’re paid to do. They do provide a nice little opportunity for frustrations to be aired though.

IdleJon

There was a strange exchange between commentators in the Toulon v Sharks game a couple of weeks ago. I can’t remember the exact wording but one said to the other something like ” Do you think that our differences are because I ACTUALLY played rugby and all you’ve ever done is talk about it?” The other one said something like “Sorry, I didn’t catch you, I was just checking the replacements.” It seemed that they didn’t get on at all!

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Davies, Wood, Nicol, Guscott etc are all employed because they’re partisan.

That’s fine – as long as they keep them in the studio.

IdleJohn – good story. I wonder who it was?

Best bit of commentary I’ve heard recently was Andrew Johns bemoaning all on the “afters” that go on at the play-the-ball in the NRL nowadays. “They ruined it all by the changing the rules so now it’s illegal for one bloke to punch another bloke.”

duckman

Proper SA rugby commentary is the best. ” And the two props are having a bit of how’s your father” followed by ” Now that’s something you don’t like to see in rugby football!”as one kicks the other.

duckman

Bigger Gray out for 6n. Oh well; hopefully we can find a second row who will bring a hard edge to the tight five…. 8)

surfer
    Free Member

Still not official but the Daily Mail (who are often correct with their RU reports apparently :-)) are reporting that Cipriani has signed a 2 yr deal with Sale which is great news. He has been outstanding for us since he joined and its nice to see he is not buggering off south now that he is back in the England fold (although he may not want to rock the boat in WC year) Working with kicking coach Steve Black may also be a factor.

A huge signing for us is the Dan Braid 1yr extension and commitment to coaching at Sale after that. Outstanding player 🙂

duckman

Cipriani deal reported in the London Times as well.

wrecker
    Free Member

Bigger Gray out for 6n. Oh well; hopefully we can find a second row who will bring a hard edge to the tight five….

One that can stay on the field?

dbcooper
    Free Member

Is it true that there has been post match fan violence after any 6N games? (I don’t believe it) Or before any games?

Kryton57

There was a piece on Sky Sports whereby Cipriani stated that playing for his country was influential on his decision to stay with an english club.

Good patriotic stuff from him eh.

tinybits
    Free Member

Well, there’s only so many times you can make the same mistake!

bigblackshed

dbcooper – Member
    Is it true that there has been post match fan violence after any 6N games? (I don’t believe it) Or before any games?

Not in my experience. I’m sure there have fights in pubs, etc. But if you mean “organised” like football I very much doubt it. It’s a very different culture. Football hooliganism was just violence masked as “football”.

I was taken to many 5 Nations matches as a boy, first one was 1977, and through the 1980s. My grandad wouldn’t have taken me if there was any possibility of violence.

IdleJon

I intervened in a fight in the Millenium Stadium a few years ago. (Only because I was trying to squeeze past to use the toilet when the fight started!)

One unfortunate thing I’ve noticed is that every international in Cardiff these days is jam-packed with people who don’t know the first thing about rugby. They treat the day as a massive drinking session, not as a rugby game.

I’d not be surprised if there’s an increase in the amount of violence because of this but haven’t seen it.

dbcooper
    Free Member

I agree that there are a lot of people at Wales internationals that are not usually rugby fans.
    Like what happened here (which is not particularly bad, and maybe not very well/accurately reported) seems like St Marys street on a friday night anyway.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/wales-v-england-idiotic-fans-8599135

jambalaya
    Free Member

There was a piece on Sky Sports whereby Cipriani stated that playing for his country was influential on his decision to stay with an english club.

I very much doubt there is a big money bid for him in France. He’s no Sexton/Carter/Giteau or even Flood. In fact had Flood still been in England Cirpriani would not be in the squad.

duckman

Just after 1990, when there was a lot of political tension over the whole poll tax/daring to win the grand slam against Diana’s blokes xv,there was a lot of abuse that went beyond the pale at the Murrayfield decider AND the 6N game and WC semi final the next season. There was a fairly large brawl outside the Haymarket tavern after the WC match. At Twickenham,I was there with the Ms Duck at the time and another couple and was called a “cross dressing porridge wog” I was living there at the time and met up with my clubmates as they used to run a trip down,a lot of the guys had fairly similar stories,including one guy who had his head split with a beer can. It has calmed down to a fair extent,but I suspect that this year could be pretty tense after Sept.

wrecker
    Free Member

A bunch of lads I know went straight back to their hotel after the Eng/Wales game. They were getting a lot of shit and threatened etc. Apparently everyone was shitfaced and the atmosphere was menacing.
    Reading the reports, it looks like they made the right decision.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Wales was the worst we have ever encountered. Pretty shocking.

The tunnel games were nothing….

namastebuzz
    Free Member

I very much doubt there is a big money bid for him in France. He’s no Sexton/Carter/Giteau or even Flood. In fact had Flood still been in England Cirpriani would not be in the squad.

According to the DT and others Toulon had made an offer to him for next season.

Kryton57

ChunkyMTB – Member
    Wales was the worst we have ever encountered. Pretty shocking.

That does annoy me. After the failure of the “valleys industry” you’d have thought they’d thank us for creating money & employment while we pour money into that Bridge and the local economies when we visit the Trail centres.

I said it before – the WRFU exaggerated that sentiment with all the games and flashing lights and should be held responsible IMO. My suggested sanction are that all Anglo / Welsh games are held at Twicker 😀

dbcooper
    Free Member

The tunnel shenanigans was just poor sportsmanship, and I was all up for blaming the WRFU, as I know our players would never do that. But then I read an interview with Sam and he said he had hoped to leave the England team out on the pitch for 15 mins before they came out. I was ashamed. My english husband was jubilant at Sams confession.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

There is plenty more that you won’t know about.

dbcooper
    Free Member

There is plenty more that you won’t know abou

Like what?

wrecker
    Free Member

There is plenty more that you won’t know about.

I got that impression. I’d love to know the whole story.

jambalaya
    Free Member

According to the DT and others Toulon had made an offer to him for next season.

I hedged my bets with “big money”, I had read the press stories. I suspect they thought they could get him pretty cheaply.

wrecker
    Free Member

He’d have made a boatload more than he is earning at Sale.

tinybits
    Free Member

where was the sam warbs interview dbcooper?

dbcooper
    Free Member

I can’t bloody find it now, all the ones I can find don’t say that. I know my husband has it bookmarked cos he sent it to all his mates, so I’ll get it tonight.

tinybits
    Free Member

thank you

duckman

Russell got another two weeks. Townsend nails it,he apologises on twitter for coaching players to keep their eye on the ball. After cement head rabbiting on about it,we should play his game and cite Jenkins. That was at least as bad,and Garland wants players protected.

duckman

Kryton57 – Member

Why don’t you start a thread on religion if you want to spout that sort of idiotic,trolling pish?

toys19
    Free Member

Seen this on twitter. Funny.

Seen this #Finnocent hashtag. Why won’t the Scots accept the decision with the same grace & dignity that us Welsh did with Warburton’s red?…

😆

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Two thousand! 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1,961 through 2,000 (of 3,879 total)

The topic ‘STW 2014/15 Rugby Thread’ is closed to new replies.