Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Stupid question warning – is 135×12 the same as 142×12?
  • walowiz

Ok, trying to source a rear wheel for an oldish bike with a rear setup for 135×12 (Cannondale).

Stupid question alert.

Is 135×12 the same as 142×12 ?

I was about to buy (for me) an expensive rear wheel and saw that it said “O.L.D” next to the 135/142 – quick google “O.L.D.” is (Over-Lock-nut Dimension), which I then had to look up. That led to more searching and unless I’m missing something – they could actually be the same thing – as the extra 7mm is so its easier to fit the rear wheel into the frame. Ive seen a few posts suggesting that the hub measurement is actually 135 for a 142 fitment. If that is the case – talk about confusing.

I’ve googled the cr*p out of this and read that 135 could be the same as 142 , but before I splash out thought it wise to check here first, as someone is bound to know.

My other question is why are there sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many mtb variants / standards for everything ? the’re just bikes !

nixie

Not quite. 135×12 has no pockets in the frame. 142×12 has 3.5mm pockets. The hub width is the same. All the extra length is in the end caps. This means if you are really stuck a 142×12 hub with 3.5mm taken off each end cap would work.

nixie

Hope pro 2 hubs (and maybe later models) have 135×12 end caps available.

endomick
    Free Member

It’s just a change of endcaps, the hub shell is the same, if it says 135/142 it should come with both types of endcaps.
    Because they can get away with it, sell more crap and we’re all ‘keeping up with the jones’mugs.
    Warning. it should specify qr if its not thru axle 135. Worth checking beforehand.
    Nukeproof uses to make a 3 in 1 hub that came with 135,142 and 135 quick release end caps.

dc1988

Not many people do a 135×12 thru axle, Hope and Mavic used to but not many others.

walowiz

thanks guys, will widen my search to 142×12 and check of the wheels come with end caps (or not)

@endomick
    thanks for that – will take a look at Nukeproof hubs and wheels.

@nixie
    thanks – Hope wheels and their many many adapters ! Will check if the later hubs come with the adapters too.

robo89
    Free Member

Have you contacted the seller to see if it includes 135×12 and 142 end caps.
    Looking for an old stock hub might be an option then get it built up.
    A 142×12 or a 135mm quick release going cheap that has 135×12 end caps still readily available like Hope do is the other option.
    What’s the wheel size, sram or shimano freehub.
    There’s an oil slick ns bikes hub at crc, shimano freehub for £70 when you use the clear2021 code.

lovewookie

135×12 Cannondale sounds like their AI system. This means the rear triangle is offset, so if you buy a whole wheel, you’ll need it zero dished, or bear that in mind when calculating spoke length.

Spin
    Free Member

Given that 28″, 29″ and 700c are for practical purposes the same size your question is not stupid!

walowiz

Thanks @lovewookie

Quick google – that’s Cannondale Asymmetric Integration.

So even if I can buy a wheel (new or secondhand), I’m going to have to get it zero dished – or it may not roll centrally in the rear triangle ?

I’ve googled the dale MX and no mention of AI.

lovewookie

Ah, it’s an old prophet Mx?
    That’s pre AI.

In all honesty, you could probably splay the rear triangle out on that to fit a 142. They have a fair bit of give.

nixie

That would probably need a longer axle.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Stupid question warning – is 135×12 the same as 142×12?’ is closed to new replies.