Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • stupid cx bike question
  • taka
    Free Member

could you make a road bike in to a cx bike by puttin chunkeyer tyres on it?

crazy-legs

No.

clubber
    Free Member

No – you might be able to squeeze in skinny cx tyres but the clearance on the brakes and the rest of the frame will be crap. Touring bikes (which often have canti brakes can often be converted though)

Also, the geometry is different – typically shorter on a cx bike.

wwaswas

yes but…

road bikes tend to have very narrow clearanceas in both frame and through brakes so ‘chunkier’ will probably not be that chunky.

they have very sharp geometry and would be a bit of a handful off road.

the brakes are rubbish and you’d end up witht hem gloggec in mud really quickly anyway.

if you’ve got anythign too light on a road bike (includinf rframe and forks) it might break ridden off road

you can ride anythign off road – it just might not be that much fun…

BigDummy
    Free Member

Possibly. But many road bikes have very little tyre clearance available. CX bikes use canti brakes rather than dual-pivots partly to get sufficient room.

Road bikes used to be built with the room available. My old Freddie Grubb has big top-pull brakes and runs 32mm tyres with fenders. It could easily run a 35mm CX tyre with mud room. Modern racers aren’t done like that. If you’ve got something more tourer/commuter then it’ll work better.

This thing was built in the 1970s as a standard enthusiast’s bike, for racing, training, clubruns, weekends, CX and whatnot.

🙂

acjim
    Free Member

BigDummy, you are Grant Petersen and I claim my 1st prize!

BigDummy
    Free Member

I couldn’t afford an A. Homer Hilsen. 😉

Seriously, I rode this bike down The Beast in the peaks on the trip that picture was taken on. Very, very gingerly, with mincing.

taka
    Free Member

i was thinking of putting them on on old road bike anyway looks more like a tank with and proberly ways the same

BigDummy
    Free Member

Give it a go. Considerable fun potential. 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘stupid cx bike question’ is closed to new replies.