Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • studded tyres where from? (29er)
  • 29erKeith
    Free Member

Considering getting some
    recent weather and all + maybe needed for Strathpuffer

My Googlefu has failed me, only finding stuff in the states
    nowt in the uk that I can find

wwaswas

all terrain cycles were emailign about studded tyres (26") might be worth a ring though.

Wooliferkins
    Free Member

Remember 29er is USA BLX for 700C. Sold the last of my Marathon winters last night. New stock not due until the new year. 20 tyres in at 3:45 last night 20 gone by 4:15pm.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i want these

59-644 best 29er option i reckon. can't find em for sale this side of the atlantic though!

who is the nokian importer?

Wooliferkins
    Free Member

Nokian used to be brought in by Windwave but they dropped them last year.

29erKeith
    Free Member

yeah just phone WindWave, and yep don't do them anymore 😥
    could have been handy too as they're not far from Thom and I

terrahawk
    Free Member

I got some Schwalbe Snow Studs. At first they were ace, but after 2 rides they've developed some 'manufacturing defects'.
    They're going back.

29erKeith
    Free Member

Thom might be easier to get some from Finland/Germany

See if Rich or James might want some too maybe get some for all of us.
    thing is might not need 'em but if it's anything like this at the puffer then they'll bo worth their weight in gold

thomthumb
    Free Member

maybe homebrew is the way?

29erKeith
    Free Member

terra hawk where'd you get 'em from?
    obviously not perfect but possibly an option I can't get hold of anything else

29erKeith
    Free Member

hmmm homebrew is an option too

thomthumb
    Free Member

keith ygm.

twinklydave

don't go for the schwalbe snow studs – 2 of mine have developed the same fault as terrahawk's.

one even rolled off the rim while i was riding, nearly throwing me in front of a car.

avoid, normal tyres would be safer.

alternatively – CRC have some studded conti's, which i shall be trying in the next few weeks

nosemineb
    Free Member

So what went wrong with the snow studs? Mine are pretty new and so far so good.

twinklydave

One of terrahawks and one of mine had the wire bead snap and rip through the carcass, puncturing the tube. they tyre wouldn't sit on a rim afterwards (long walk home): you can just about see it sticking out in this pic

My second just popped off the rim while riding along a flat, straight bit of road – again the bead had stretched and it now simply will not stay on any rim. If you manage to get it to not pop off before inflating the tube, anything over 20psi just blows it straight off (anything under and it just flops off as soon as you try to ride)

Can't be a dodgy batch either, as I've had mine (sitting unused) for a year, terrahawk only got his a few weeks back.

terrahawk
    Free Member

what Dave said, basically. I'm sending these back for a refund. I've since ordered some Conti Nordics instead.

The Schwalbes just seem to be very, very badly made. The studs actually work when the rest of the tyre is behaving itself, so it's a shame really.

Avoid em.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

I dont think you should be put off by a batch defect. Both sets of my Schwalbe Ice spikers and my Schwalbe snow tyres are about 4 years old and have never given a single problem.

rep341
    Free Member

I got my schwalbes 26" last week from stewart wilson cycles in stirling – 4 rides old now and still all OK

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Chainreaction and Wiggle both sell Snow and/or Ice tyres. No idea what the stock levels are though.

lovewookie

ahem…

home brew….

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Wonder if this statement has any bearing on the tyre failures mentioned above?

"Nokian non foldable tires can safely be rolled up into thirds without damaging the wire bead. We have found however, that the wire beads of Schwalbe tires tend to take sharp bends easily when being rolled, so we don't roll Schwalbes. If the bead in your Nokians does arrive with a slight bend in the bead, don't worry, just gently bend it back straight with your hands. If you mount a tire that has a sharp bend in the bead, there is a chance that the tire could blow off the rim while being inflated, so any tire should be checked to be sure the wire bead is fairly straight before mounting. Tire beads can also be bent by removing a tire from a rim with tire irons, so be careful there too. I've never had a Nokian take a bend in the bead that couldn't easily be straightened."

From the helpful website of Peter White cycles (USA)
    http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/studdedtires.asp

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘studded tyres where from? (29er)’ is closed to new replies.