Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • ‘Stuck down’ Float R – new seals?
  • torsoinalake
    Free Member

Hello,

My 6 month old Float R decided to get stuck down on a ride yesterday. I have taken it off the bike and apart as per Fox’s instructions (they’re not kidding about the ‘loud pop’ – should also put something in there about it trying to fly across the room).

Will I get away with cleaning it up and re-lubing or should I replace the seals? I suppose it’s only a tenner, don’t particularly want to ride home with no travel again in the near future.

clubber
    Free Member

Fox’s instructions say categorically not to take it apart if it gets stuck down for the reasons you’ve found!

IIRC there’s a new seal that stops the problem happening so you want to get one of those before putting it back together.

carlphillips
    Free Member

have fixedd one a while back for sponging machine (oh put a rag in the eyelet to stop it flying off!!) didnt replace seals and is fine

tinsy
    Free Member

Fixed two of them buy just removing the air can and getting the POP, did one by the side of the trail (mine re lubed it later) and another (for my pal) at home, neither has been re built after, and got no idea why it should stick once and not again, I say try it, take your tools to remove it and the air can trailside to get you back home should it happen again.

ps, one was a Triad and the other a Septune.

hugh_b
    Free Member

yeah, try and clean the seals first, mine did it on the first ride but has been fine otherwise. I do service it every 3 rides though, mainly just to get the excess air out of the – chamber which is what causes it and fox don’t really have a fix, it’s luck!
    As long as you have a rag and have removed the hardware from the end it will pop off safely. Plenty of guides on how to do it if your worried. Fox mechanics actually just fire it off into a cardboard box!

So yeah as i said, best bet is to clean the seals so they are spotless, re-lube everything and put it back together!

If it keeps happening maybe a seal kit would help, again very easy to do yourself.

Hugh

bear-uk
    Free Member

I did mine, but being one of those sort that read the instructions after the jobs finished, nearly took my head off. Bloody air can hit garage rafters and shot out of door and up the drive.
    And it wasn’t stuck down, I just decided to give it a clean out.
    New seals fitted and re lubed.The shock does not need as much air in it now.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Thanks all. Shock is back on the bike and after a spin around the block seems to be holding it’s travel.

Had the rag in place and a decent pair of gloves on when I took off the air can, had seen a helpful video on youtube that showed the can trying to make a break for freedom.

carlphillips
    Free Member

kinda made me wonder why its around £80 to do a service on them..
    piece of piss to do really

mrfrosty
    Free Member

If its 6 months old an you have proof of purchase send it to mojo warranty repair simples

taxi25
    Free Member

I sent my 18mth old stuck down rp23 to mojo. They did a can service new seal f.o.c.
    hug_b you don’t do a can service every 3 rides do you ????? How long are your rides.

hugh_b
    Free Member

Yeah, i do it every 3-4 rides, it stuck down on me from new but hasn’t since as i do regular maintenance. Fox actually recommend every 8 hours in the manual! My rides tend to be about 4 hours long. If it sticks down again i’ll be sending it back for a new seal kit to be fitted under warranty.

Hugh

mrfrosty
    Free Member

hugh_b your shock has prob got the old style seal in it, why not get it replaced now an not have the worry of it sticking down while on a ride ?

hugh_b
    Free Member

i probably will but i need to wait for it to stick down so i can send it in! Otherwise i’m sure they will say there is nothing wrong with it!

Hugh

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘‘Stuck down’ Float R – new seals?’ is closed to new replies.