Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Strimmertrackworld
  • ononeorange

Morning all.

Anyone care to make a recommendation for a petrol strimmer? Our garden has got so overgrown that shears are like rearranging the chairs on the titanic.

I am presuming that if I want it to actually work, then stihl is the one, don’t mind paying a bit more so long as it functions.

Any real world experiences?

Thanks in advance

CHB

We recently looked at this. Sthil is the obvious choice. We ended up buying a 4 stroke Makita ands its brilliant.
    £230 (half price) so about the same price as the cheapest sthil, but an epic bit of kit….does our garden and allotment in no time!

Stoner
    Free Member
    bencooper
    Free Member

Get yourself a scythe – faster than a strimmer, silent, you don’t get splattered with plant juice, and much cooler.

I was scything our local park yesterday 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

I would just rent one if it’s for one use.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I had a cheap B&Q petrol one and it was rubbish, always was a pain to get going, the line mechanism was nothing but trouble. Binned it and got a Stihl one and it’s night and day compared to the old one. Easy to start, line mechanism is brilliant, just works really well.

Oh and get the Apsen ready mixed fuel for it too, especially if you just use it occasionally and leave the fuel in the strimmer.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I recently bought a used Stihl FS450 on eBay for £200. it replaced a Kawasaki that was slightly smaller at 43cc.. The Stihl is a much better machine in every regard. Stuff that stalled the Kawasaki by wrapping around the head is simply trashed by the Stihl. It’s easy to see why they are so popular with parks depts.

kiwijohn

Honda. Quieter than 2 stroke & no oil to mix. & it has grunt.

andyfla
    Free Member

Just bought a still fs55 and it is truly awesome – way better than my crappy electric thingy before.

Just buy one

ononeorange

Thanks for all the suggestions, chaps. Apologies for missing the other thread.

Stihl coming out well in the offcial STW poll, will look at the Makita as well.

Cheers

Jamie
    Free Member

Stihl coming out well in the offcial STW poll

You could say, they are stihl the best option…

*cough*

*taps mic*

woody2000

I’ve just bought on of these from eBay as my garden is somewhat “mature”. Reviews look ok so we’ll see.

Being delivered tomorrow so hoping for a weekend a mechanical napalm 🙂

gogg
    Free Member

Got mine from here, can’t remember what the model is but it pee’s all over the Screwfix ones that I would end up replacing every other year.

Good advice and now works out cheaper than the biennial replacements despite the initial expense.

trail_rat
    Free Member

im still happy with my hitachi.

never stalled out on me.

swap it to the brush cutter head for doing the road side and its unstopable. Only gripe is that its 2 stroke and the HAV is quite high when i do the whole garden.

(have had the big stihl 4 stroke in the past)

Alphabet

Honda 4 stroke user here. Very happy.

thomasgeorge
    Free Member

If budget allows, get the stihl. I have burnt out several cheap ones, and finally did the right thing, and got one. If you have hedges, trees etc in your garden also, suggest the combi ones, that you can attach different heads to the motor unit.

nosherduke996
    Free Member

Honda 4 stroke,better than all the rest. Forget messing around with 2 stroke.
    The Honda will just keep on going……with no smoke.
    😆

ononeorange

Thanks again all. Am looking at the Stihl and the reviews seem to say a 4-mix is most reliable (2 stroke seem to have some carburettor issues) but my, they are expensive! Ebay here we come I think.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“2 stroke seem to have some carburettor issues”

no they have issues with people thinking a service is nothing but adding fuel.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Strimmertrackworld’ is closed to new replies.