Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • strava premium free trial
  • davesmate
    Free Member

So I’ve just signed up for the 30 day free trial of Strava premium. Seems to be a few interesting features on it but nothing I can honestly say I’d happily pay for. I’m not big into training, I ride for fun and fitness is just a happy side effect. Anyone here happy to pay for the extra features in premium?

bikeneil
    Free Member

I wouldn’t use it if they paid me. I too ride for fun.

molgrips
    Free Member

And Strava is fun 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

THIS IS STRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

chakaping
    Free Member

I did the free trial, nothing earth-shatteringly different about it.

Kept going when it turned to paid because I find it a really useful app and I want to contribute toward it.

legend
    Free Member

I love people that think a website can steal their fun 🙂

The ability to download other peoples routes is a handy premium feature

bikeneil
    Free Member

I love it when people think that I think that strava steals fun. I have no interest in seeing other people’s rides, them seeing mine or having a record of my rides. Simple as that. Some people love it, some don’t. I don’t.

Northwind

chakaping – Member

Kept going when it turned to paid because I find it a really useful app and I want to contribute toward it.

Yeah, tbh I feel a bit like that but it’s slightly too expensive for me to do it just for that reason. I think if there was just a “give us a few quid so you don’t feel like a leech” option I’d take it

It still seems like there’s a bunch of features Strava could add which would be worth paying for- a solo mode that just compares your own rides would be ace, frinstance, better comparison tools over time, some big averaging tools…

phiiiiil

I did the free trial to download a couple of routes for a holiday; I then forgot to cancel it… 🙁

I haven’t really found anything particularly exciting yet.

zilog6128

I did the free trial, nothing earth-shatteringly different about it.

Kept going when it turned to paid because I find it a really useful app and I want to contribute toward it.+1

DanW
    Free Member

If you have a power meter then Strava Premium opens up the standard features you’d expect to see to track progress with power. It isn’t super detailed but has all the key things the average person can make sense of, digest and practically apply/ monitor in future. Good for day to day training with power but pretty worthless without a PM IMO

taxi25
    Free Member

For me I don’t use enough of the premium features to justify the cost over a full year. So I pay for 4 mths a year. Its easy to sighn up then cancel and I don’t feel like a bum.

njee20
    Free Member

Yeah I paid a month or so back because I enjoy Strava, and happy to contribute to it’s success.

Actually quite impressed by the power stuff.

Garry_Lager

The personal heat map is a cool feature, albeit one you’d only look at now and again (sure I’ve never ridden that trail, was I pished?)

Feel the same as others, though, nothing really great for me with the premium, but happy to support an app I use a lot.

bob_summers

As some above I pay a sub every now and then as I enjoy it & want to chip in. I don’t think it’s worth the cost of a year-round sub, but for a bit of argy bargy on the hills nicking KOMs from mates, nothing else comes close.
    But for proper training with power I’m using the (free and excellent) GoldenCheetah.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Screw everyone else on Strava, the key for me is simply tracking routes, a fitness interest to compare my own rides, and matching segments to learn trails and trail names. Turn on, forget about it and ride. A simple curiosity post ride to see where I’ve been mainly and maybe suss out new routes, cheeky stuff, etc.

Well, comparing against friends I ride with does also act as verification that a) my GPS is accurate or at least consistent and b) that it’s just interesting to see most of us are all similar in performance. Though could be just when riding in a group you’re all riding similar speeds.

Anyway, premium, not really interested in downloading other people’s routes. Analysis of my heart rate zones is of zero interest to me. So long as the thing is still ticking, that’s fine. I don’t set goals. I just ride for fun and social.

Out of interest, I see Garmin now have segments or are trying to do segments on their Connect site.

legend
    Free Member

Just remembered that you get free Sufferfest vids on premium- can be handy at this time of year

hooli

a solo mode that just compares your own rides would be ace

You can filter the results to only show your own results so I guess in effect it does track progress.

Agree that its too expensive to justify the difference between free and premium. Its a great tool, no doubt about it.

njee20
    Free Member

Out of interest, I see Garmin now have segments or are trying to do segments on their Connect site.

They’re crap! You can get software to put Strava segments on a Garmin Segments device though, and that’s really good!

sandwicheater

Is this something on at the moment. Not seen any emails about it. Was going to sign up to the free trial next time it came along to access the training/suffer fest videos.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Mate and I ride from the same point, side-by-side chatting on the climbs and one after another on singletrack and every time his shows he’s climbed 100 vertical meters higher and travelled 2-3KM further.

That has nothing to do with Strava, its the data recorded from the two separate devices that is different.

Not using the premium service as I can get most of the power data I need from the TrainerRoad software

chakaping
    Free Member

Is this something on at the moment. Not seen any emails about it. Was going to sign up to the free trial next time it came along to access the training/suffer fest videos.

Yeah, go and have a sniff about on the site.

I was offered it yesterday.

cookeaa

Signed up for it last year, forgot to cancel and ended up with it for 12 months, TBH I didn’t make much use of the extra features, cancelled the Sub this year, just as I started logging my HR, for which it may have been useful to analyse/understand but then there are other free app’s and resources for this so I’m still not sure it’s really worth it…

Velo viewer lets you do the whole Stat’s geek thing with all your Strava data so what would you really gain?

If you are seriously training / monitoring performance the Premium sub might be of use, but I’m not totally sure… I wasn’t bothered by the free suffer-fest stuff…

But we’re all different.

Northwind

taxi25 – Member

For me I don’t use enough of the premium features to justify the cost over a full year. So I pay for 4 mths a year. Its easy to sighn up then cancel and I don’t feel like a bum.

That’s a good idea- cheers!

DT78
    Free Member

I’m still not premium, but keep thinking I should be. The sufferfest vids are a useful feature, though I bought them all last season. I’ve supported them this year by buying an overpriced jersey and rapha 500 tshirt.

When I finally take the plunge with a powermeter I’ll likely upgrade.

I mainly use it to track my own performance and to see how mates who I ride rarely with these days are getting on. Its a fantastic tool imo. The occasional KOM is a nice cherry and gives bragging rights…

Andy-W
    Free Member

I use the premium for being able to copy other peoples routes and then follow then on my garmin .. on and off road it works a treat

as for all that KOM stuff , I take it all with a pinch of salt after running with my iphone app and garmin 800 at the same time for a few rides you soon suss the segments are not accurate at all , on road is not too far out but off road and more so on steep stuff or under tree cover is way out….way out as in over 10, 20+ seconds on some climbs and descents

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’m not convinced Strava is all that great off-road – every week I ride with one of my mates, and every week I use Strava to track mileage etc, I tell myself I’m not bothered about KOMS and whatnot, but you can’t help but compare.

Anyway, Mate and I ride from the same point, side-by-side chatting on the climbs and one after another on singletrack and every time his shows he’s climbed 100 vertical meters higher and travelled 2-3KM further.

That’s nowt to do with strava, that’s your GPS that’s shit.

Northwind

Strava does have some issues with route plotting mind- if you have 2 routes with similiar start and finish it often confuses them or decides you did both simultaneously.

But the thing is, errors still screw up the results whether they’re GPS or Strava originated, they all end up in strava.

njee20
    Free Member

way out as in over 10, 20+ seconds on some climbs and descents

Short segments are certainly woefully inaccurate, but that’s not Strava’s fault! Disagree on longer climbs, around here there are shedloads of segments and it’s nearly always the people I’d expect to see at the top of the leaderboard.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Read this about limitations of GPS.

https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/22645314-Bad-GPS-Data-What-Why-How

Bear in mind, Strava can never be accurate and is also dealing with a wide variety of devices, most of which are mobile phones that have GPS chips designed for accuracy of navigating cars around streets, not bikes on trails. Strava does their best to make it realistic and smooth out the issues, but there will always be errors.

When it comes to segments, also note that a lot of segments are badly created in respect to start and end points which with GPS drift catches some people hanging about before heading off or at the end, and yet a friend next to you is shown as having done the segment in fraction of the time. Good segments are not very short, have been created by people who have made a good track that isn’t straight lined, and have start and end points a little way into the trail. Combined with not being near another trail, and no tree cover to confuse devices. So a lot can be inaccurate.

https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/21074038-Optimizing-Segment-Creation-how-to-create-good-segments

deadkenny
    Free Member

Oh, and turn off auto pause if there’s an option. I have had issues with auto pause making the segment run faster than you did it if you slow climb below the pause threshold. Strava said this shouldn’t happen, but it did. Got me climbs in a couple of seconds that should take a couple of minutes, and thus ride gets flagged.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘strava premium free trial’ is closed to new replies.