Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • strava b*'ll*x
  • tymbian
    Free Member

Why has Strava recorded my time on a descent as 4:35 mins when in reality it was under a minute? Has it recorded me having a chat at the bottom?

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Probably. But who cares, its only strava.

RDL-82
    Free Member

If you stopped whilst still in the segment then yes it will keep adding time until you pass the ‘finish’ line. Had this many times when waiting for people to catch up.

Does it matter though, its for shits and giggles.

jekkyl

2 questions….

1. did you stop to have a chat at a random point just before the line?
    2. do you care?

chiefgrooveguru

Probably recorded you having a chat at the top too!

allthepies
    Free Member

and in the middle.

tymbian
    Free Member

Don’t know where the line is/was…it was something we did as part of a loop at Climachx. Uploaded the loop and Strava does the rest and sorts the segments out.
    As for minding, I’d rather be in the top 10 than the last 60…I’ll take what I can at my age..\o/

creamegg
    Free Member

Your not as fast as you think

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

It must suck to be that slow, feel bad for you.

markrh
    Free Member

You’d think they’ed mark the start/finish with a line/gateway so you’d where to stop for a fag/chat… 😕

breninbeener

If you are that troubled, you can make a new segment that stops just before where you did.

legend
    Free Member

lolz you iz slow! 26er i assume

tymbian
    Free Member

Breninbeener..not that troubled really..

bartimaeus
    Free Member

Strava shows you ‘moving time’ as well as the total time for ‘this effort’ so you can easily see if you’ve been short changed by the segment end point.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

With these new fangled GPS tracking thingies you can actually look at the segment and see where you were for the duration of it and that will tell you what happened.

nick1962
    Free Member

If Strava had given you the KOM would you be on here querying it? 🙂

Haze

If you are that troubled, you can make a new segment that stops just before where you did.

This, we need more segments on top of other almost identical ones…

whitestone
    Free Member

Rule #5

slimporcini
    Free Member

I’ve lost many a valuable strava trophy waiting for you t the bottom RDL-82 😉

scaredypants

I’ve coded my google glass to run a head-up display on a helmet visor – all strava segments show up as green/red lines across the trail

it’s nearly ready for sale, useful anywhere

keep in touch

wwaswas

scaredypants – I reckon a ‘virtual partner’ similar to the Garmin one riding in front/behind you to show where you are in relation to the KOM would be good.

Although in a lot of places round here the ‘partner’ would be tanking it down the fireroad that runs parallel to the singletrack the segment’s supposed to be on.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Just create 50 new segments covering the 100 metre long sections where you didn’t stop for a breather.

timb34
    Free Member

Segment finish lines aren’t always right at the top/bottom – there’re a few round here that look like they obviously finish a couple of hundred metres further on or round a corner, just to catch out the people who stop or ease up!

njee20
    Free Member

scaredypants – I reckon a ‘virtual partner’ similar to the Garmin one riding in front/behind you to show where you are in relation to the KOM would be good.
    Although in a lot of places round here the ‘partner’ would be tanking it down the fireroad that runs parallel to the singletrack the segment’s supposed to be on.

The Garmin Edge 810/1000 can do exactly that if you upload segments to it, it’s a good motivator.

mauja
    Free Member

If you’ve got an Edge 1000 you can load Strava segments on it. As you ride it will tell you exactly where they start and stop as well as how far ahead or behind you are of the KOM during the segment.

jam-bo

I’ve created a few like that 8)

rocketman
    Free Member

An occasional mate Stravas everything he does

Cannock is awash with ‘segments’ and whenever we stop we have to check the times.
    “woh 76th on that one”
    *widens eyes and nods condescendingly*

He goes as fast as he can but he’s slower than me bless

I understand how frustrating it must be when you’re going flat out but still really slow :mrgreen:

Suggsey
    Free Member

It was stopping at the bottom when you took three minutes getting your willy out to wave it and then tucking it away that accounts for the time difference 😆

deadkenny
    Free Member

The better segments start a short way into the trail and end shortly before the end.

Though yes arguably it does catch out the typical mountain biker that stops for a chat before and after each trail 😀 . Have to admit a lot of the weekend warrior rides I do have become like this. We’ve got way too social really, though it’s a nice day out. My night rides or solo rides are fairly non stop, but then there’s just less reason to stop and chat.

Not that I ride for performance reasons and Strava is still just a thing of interest and means of tracking where I’m riding for me, but sometimes I’ll be hammering along a segment and think I did that quicker than I’ve done before and curious to see the time, only to find Strava logged 5 minutes extra.

Oh and it’s turn on (Garmin in my case now), forget about it and ride. Check Strava later.

Not tried the segment stuff in Garmin yet.

verses

jam bo – Member

timb34 » Segment finish lines aren’t always right at the top/bottom – there’re a few round here that look like they obviously finish a couple of hundred metres further on or round a corner, just to catch out the people who stop or ease up!

I’ve created a few like that [/quote]

That’s how I think climbing segments should be. No point being the quickest up the climb if you can’t keep going once you’ve got there!

jam-bo

I’ve also started creating some quite long segments in our local woods. linking up a couple of descents, climbs and traverses.

like this one. https://app.strava.com/segments/4324625?filter=overall

KoM is ~11 minutes, slowest is 59 minutes!!!

RDL-82
    Free Member

slimporcini – Member
    I’ve lost many a valuable strava trophy waiting for you t the bottom RDL-82

Thats because your too bloody fast these days, just you wait till you’ve a house full of screaming brats 😉

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

*wonders* is ‘chat’ a euphamism?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I’ve coded my google glass to run a head-up display on a helmet visor – all strava segments show up as green/red lines across the trail. it’s nearly ready for sale, useful anywhere

Nice, but Google scrapped the product. Who will buy your software?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Why has Strava recorded my time on a descent as 4:35 mins when in reality it was under a minute?

Because your version of reality is different to the one Strava uses? ie, the real one?

chrismac

OP your right Strava is Bxllxx so dont use it and just enjoy the ride. If you want to race then go racing.

Metasequoia

Strava related anxiety disorder- I’d sue the developers- or perhaps learn where the ‘virtual finish line is’ before chatting about how quick etc

smiththemainman
    Free Member

I`d say too much showboating![video]http://youtu.be/ixIoWJ_MxU8[/video]

andytherocketeer

not just a case of knowing where the virtual finish line is.
    i’ve had cases where it’s near-ish to a hairpin apex, you ride past the end and effectively double back 100m and it thinks you haven’t crossed the line until 15mins later when you go back past it again.

i’ve had cases where it started recording several minutes before I got anywhere near the start, and stopped tens of minutes after passing the end, and then 2-3 days later “corrected” itself to nearer some kind of sensible time.

strava b*’ll*x

correct.

so dont use it and just enjoy the ride

yup. free yourself, do the same as me, and nuke the account.
    my watch times the aforementioned segment from gate to gate with better accuracy.

njee20
    Free Member

KoM is ~11 minutes, slowest is 59 minutes!!!

Bear in mind that on longer segments if someone starts it, deviates from the route, and then crosses the finish they’ll still count, as long as they’ve done most of the segment.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘strava b*'ll*x’ is closed to new replies.