Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Strange car insurance claim….
  • uglybassplayer

We have just received a letter from our previous insurance company for a car we sold 4 months ago asking for us to call them as soon as possible about a claim they have received from a third party…

Neither my wife nor I are even sure we used the car on the date in question and certainly don’t remember any incidents? The guy from the insurers was very relaxed, said the claim details were “very vague” and they get this kind of thing all time. His advice was not to worry!

However I have a healthy mistrust of Insurers in general and am now imagining some dreadful drawn out torture of a false/fraudulent claim for a policy and car long gone!

Has anyone else had any experience of a claim out the blue? Any advice on how best to procede (assuming the insurers don’t get back to us and confirm that the claim was mistaken/incorrect/false)?

trail_rat
    Free Member

you did cancel the insurance when you sold it right ?

uglybassplayer

Yes all cancelled, but date of claim is prior to this (i.e. when we still owned and used the car).

matt_outandabout

We had a smash in our blue touran apparently.

It was red, Renault Laguna shaped and 350 miles from home when it had the smash….

Wrong reg plate recorded. We had a ferry ticket with our reg on that day, so could doubly prove location.

Never heard anything more.

Cougar

“We believe you were involved in an accident.”

“Do you have any details of this accident?”

“No.”

“Bye!”

bails

We had similar when we renewed our insurance a few months ago. We were asked about a collision that had been reported to “a car registered at our address”. Couldn’t tell us any more than that. He said he’d flag it as an error and not to worry about it.

joefm

I have had a third party claim against me out of the blue too. It’s still ongoing and seems very long winded to close down despite evidence that it was not me. It’s also pushed up my premium this year by £300 although they have said they will refund me the difference.

The incident happened in another county from where I live or travel to. It turns out someone had cloned my plates (probably got reg from the car ad on the internet so be warned) and rear ended the third party. The insurers have sent someone out to assess my car and taken photos which have no damage – the pics the third party supplied shows heavy front end damage. Also had to report it to the police for a reference number.

But as there is an injury outstanding on the third party claim (cant claim injuries off your own insurance) they are still after me.

Feel worse for the people that actually got hit but I can’t see what else they can do to prove it was me so it would be nice if they gave up.

soobalias
    Free Member

stepson being given the run around.

minor bump in traffic (1st mistake), no damage, exchanged details…
    stepson called the insurance (aviva) to see if the other guy claimed, nothing. (his 2nd mistake)
    stepson doesnt renew insurance with aviva, but moves company.
    asks aviva for NCD certificate
    aviva say that the ‘accident’ resulted in a claim of £11,000 therefore no NCD.

now being plagued by calls which he is struggling to tell if they are real or scammers.

probably have to change his phone number

****s everywhere.

legend
    Free Member

aviva say that the ‘accident’ resulted in a claim of £11,000 therefore no NCD.

So Aviva paid out on a claim without even speaking to the policy holder??

uglybassplayer

So far we’ve heard nothing further….. so either that’s good or the shady world of the Insurers is screwing me over without my knowledge.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Strange car insurance claim….’ is closed to new replies.