Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)
  • Stooge Speedball (new bike)
  • bonesetter
    Free Member

Ooohh I say

Check out the pics – Vapour 50 rims i45’s, all XT (doesn’t Shimano just get better and better), Salsa Moto flat bar (at the mo), WTB Ranger 29×3
    Stooge Speedball
    stooge speedball
    stooge speedball

cokie

Thing of beauty! I really like that. Nice build (apart from the silver headset & bars 😉 ).
    I’d get some Stooge moto bars on it and a black headset.
    Can’t wait to get my Mk4.

legometeorology
    Free Member

Man that thing looks sweet. I’m really 29+ curious…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bonesetter
    Free Member

Thing is, that HS is a Jones double topper, and I think only comes in silver…

As for bars, I do have a Stooge Moto bar, and will try them. Thought we would go for flats to start with

Cheers

weeksy

I don’t get it… at all…. but it’s beautifully put together and looks fantasitc…

I’d hate to ride it though.

PJay
    Free Member

Swift blue?

cokie

Thing is, that HS is a Jones double topper, and I think only comes in silver…

As for bars, I do have a Stooge Moto bar, and will try them. Thought we would go for flats to start with

Ah, I forgot that truss forks require some odd headset configurations.
    Bars are such a personal thing anyway. I always felt comfier with bigger backsweep on my Stooge.

I don’t get it… at all…. but it’s beautifully put together and looks fantasitc…

I’d hate to ride it though.

You don’t have to get it, but it works. You’re welcome to try my Mk4 when it arrives. It’ll be built up very similarly but with the Junker bar (820 wide, 20 degree sweep 😀 ). They work well on our local trails.

Clink

I’m just building up a purple one with bi-plane fork. Also gone for XT. Can’t wait 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

Taz’s Ti one is better 😉

ton

would love one. but as with the jones plus. the xl is not XL enough.
    when you are heavy and tall a short seat tube don’t work. the risk of ripping the thing apart is too great.

bonesetter
    Free Member

^ You need a custom build Ton – a Waltworks maybe?

faustus

I’m sorely tempted by a bi-plane frameset of these, even though i can’t really afford it. But also tempted by a Mk4…and a singular swift if they make a new one in 29+, as whispers suggest.

ajantom

I was/am sorely tempted by one.
    But I just love my Krampus too much, it’d feel like a betrayal of an old friend 😊

fudge9202
    Free Member

Lovely bike had looked at these over the last few months but think I’m plumbing for the new Swift in the summer

singlespeedstu

You trying to lasso a sheep with those hoses? 😜
    Oh and stand your pot back up.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Stu – lol, yeah, they’re much better now I’ve changed the bars for Stooge’s Moto Risers

Those Salsa ones weren’t working

PJay
    Free Member

@Bonesetter, that does look lovely but I noticed that you’ve got a Jones Plus frame and truss fork in the classifieds; did you just fancy a change or are they very different frames & forks?

bonesetter
    Free Member

Pjay – I’ve actually got 2 JJ Plus’s now – one in the classifieds, and a slightly different one which is my ride

This Stooge I’ve built for my mate – good to try them back to back though

Clink

Here’s mine – just waiting for new wheels.

speedball?.jpg

speedball 2?.jpg

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’m interested in the Mk4 but am unsure just how different it will be to my rigid Tarn running 29+ front 2.6 rear. Anyone have any idea? It would be used mainly at Llandegla.

bigblackshed

bonesetter
    Free Member

Haven’t ridden the Tarn, but from what I know of it, it is a very different geometry bike (very long front). Stooge will be more neutral, upright, ‘in the bike’ riding position, easier to pop the front etc. One may say more raggable?

Andy Stooge works in Llandegla bike centre – you could try one 🙂

fd3chris
    Free Member

Thanks Bonesetter 👍

bonesetter
    Free Member

Stooge Moto Bars stylee

Pot still turned over

Stooge Speedball moto bars

sefton
    Free Member

What’s the thinking with the double toptube ? Flex? Is it welded to the seattube at all? Or just at the headtube?

singlespeedstu

That for Jim then?
    I’m going to sneak into your garden and stand that pot back up for you next time I come past.😎

bonesetter
    Free Member

That for Jim then?
    I’m going to sneak into your garden and stand that pot back up for you next time I come past.😎

I’d be very glad if you would – I’d buy you and Mrs S a glass in the House

funkmasterp

Looks much better with the Moto bars

TiRed

I was going to ask the same thing. That ladder configuration must be stiff – it’s a classic design for mixte frames after all, so why not join them to the seat tube and remove the top tube?

Lovely bike though.

Not mine – Retrotec/Inglis

First twin top tube 2003 Retrotec

fudge9202
    Free Member

Have to agree the Moto bars much better imho 😀

badgerbater
    Free Member

Lovely looking bike! As someone else remarked, is the seat tube attached to or independent from the seat stays? Cannot tell from the photos.

jupiter
    Free Member

Lovely looking bike (both of them, i do like the purple/grape colour). Is it too big a frame for someone only 5’9” tall? I think the top picture with flat bars would be my perfect build. I would love to have the Speedball and the MK4. How do you set up the front truss fork? Is it a normal headset and then use spacers, or some sort of special headset like a jones?

whitestone
    Free Member

My wife (5’2″) has a Mk1 Stooge and it’s fine for her.

I had a quick ride on the Mk3 (or was it the Mk4?) at the Lakes Bike Festival last September, a very stable feeling bike.

jonestown
    Free Member

Andy here from Stooge, very nice build. Re the top tube questions, the twin tubes are connected to the sea tube via the small cross brace at the rear. The idea behind the third tube is that it allows a certain amount of flex. On the ti frames its very noticeable, less so on the steel, but if you put your hand between the top and third tubes and sit on the saddle you’ll feel the flex crushing your fingers slightly.

Clink

Pics of Taz’s ti and steel Speedballs:

speedball 1?.jpg

speedball 2?.jpg

spectabilis
    Free Member

Built one of these myself a couple of weeks ago, similar Vapour/Dually+Motos but SS; it fookin hoons!
    I’ll get some pics up after I give it a wash and swap out the old parts bin 3/32″ drive train for a shiny 1/8th.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Mat – you’re not getting much better at posting pics on here. We want to see more Speedballs

bonesetter
    Free Member

@Jupiter the truss fork assembly is tricky. The headset is 2 top cups. You then offer up the fork to the head tube and slide through a steerer tube while holding all headset bits and any spacers in place

Takes me about an hour of faffing, including pressing in the cups

Clink

Mat – you’re not getting much better at posting pics on here. We want to see more Speedballs

When I did it on my laptop last night both pics worked; not sure why the second one isn’t showing now????

bonesetter
    Free Member

^ I can’t see either of them

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Stooge Speedball (new bike)’ is closed to new replies.