Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Stooge owners, persuade me
  • ajantom

I currently own a Krampus, but I’m very taken with the Stooge MK4 frame and forks.

Everything on the Krampus will swap over bar the seat post, rear tyre and headset, so minimal cost and faff to change.

I’m liking the idea of the slacker HA, and I love the look of the frame.

So….will it just be basically the same, or will it be more betters.

Persuade me (or dissuade me!)

didnthurt

Had my mark 3 Stooge for over 3 years and have had it set up 29er single speed, 1 X 10 and 27.5+ single speed, 1 X 10. I love it, can’t see me selling it anytime soon as it makes me smile every time I ride it. It’s pretty competent for a rigid bike. If it’s not going to cost you a lot to change frames then go for it.

Edit: sorry, it’s a mark 2

vondally
    Free Member

Simple really….

It makes me smile when I ride it.

Simply Hugely capable going up, super nimble on single-track and a riot on the downs.

It just works.

bruceonabike
    Free Member

Everything didnthurt said!
    Awesome frames, a blast to ride, you won’t regret it.

ajantom

Ha, my finger is literally hovering over the button…..

bigblackshed

I’ve got a MK3, originally I had it setup with 120mm bouncy forks and 27.5″+, because I thought it wouldn’t be capable enough rigid. It’s an absolute riot with the bouncy forks. Far more capable than me.

I’ve now put the rigid forks on and it’s no less capable. It’s fast, agile, comfortable, and made my biking far more enjoyable than anything I’ve had in the last 20 years.

I rode the MK4 at the Steel is Real Demo day at the FOD in October. It’s a different beast to the MK3. It’s a big, slack, lunatic of a bike. Surprisingly light and agile for a 29+ monster truck, but nimble and confident in the tight twisty stuff. Head downwards and it just inspires confidence, point it where you want it and it’ll scream for more than you can throw at it.

The only thing it didn’t excel at was the pump track. It’s just a bit too long for that. But if you are riding pump tracks then a fit for purpose bike is going to win all day long.

Do it. Come join the revolution.

singlespeedstu

Live a little and buy the original it was copied from.
    If you’re going to buy some niche tat may as well buy the original niche tat.😉
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/ahR6E5]IMG00037-20110830-1037[/url] by multispeedstu, on Flickr

ajantom

I did consider a Jones, but wife + available funds say Non!

ajantom

The deed is done 😋
    Need a 30.9 dropper, 1 1/8 headset, and a 2.6″ rear tyre now…

Brand X post and whatever is on offer on CRC then 😉

bigblackshed

The Stooge MK4 is no Jones.

singlespeedstu

I did consider a Jones, but wife + available funds say Non

How much is your wife worth?
    😵
    I’ve got a few spare 30.9 droppers in the garage if you’re interested

donks
    Free Member

" alt="null" />

Just built up my MK4 today and was well pleased. It replaced a MK2 Which is had for about 3 years and loved. Took it out for a couple hours today on and off road and it’s definitely still a real blast. The front end took a while to get used to but it feels just great now and I’ve found the technique to hop and manual it that I had on the MK2 so it’s all good. The rangier front makes cruising just that bit comfier. I have the 27.5 wheel version with the 57mm fork offset rather than the full 80mm forks.

Im pretty sure you’ll enjoy it and keep coming back for more.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Well done for joining the club. You won’t regret it. I have a mark 4 and bloody love it.

rubymurry
    Free Member

I bought a MK2 out of curiosity, bloody loved it so much I ended up a year later asking stooge to build me one in ti and that is an absolute dream machine.

I use it for everything trail centres/bikepacking/going out on family bike rides etc… thinking of moving on all the other bikes I have to just have the one, enjoy your mk4 🤩

funkmasterp

That Jones looks tiny and squashed or is it just the way the photo has been taken. I’ve got a Speedball and it’s ace. Just a nice place to be sat for a ride. Be there a quick pootle down a towpath or ragging it about around the peaks. Must admit I’d swap for a Mk4 though.

stwhannah

I’m not an owner (unless Andy forgets to get my test bike back) but my thoughts are in the next mag (spoiler: I agree with the owners above). @ajantom you might not get as long a dropper in as you first think – there’s a slight kink in the seat tube and mine wasn’t quite reamed all the way. Worth checking out insertion depth with a standard post before you order anything! Have fun, and prepare for all the ‘cool bike’ comments from folk in the street.

ajantom

I’m 6ft, so hoping a 150mm will fit ok for me. Fingers crossed.

tall_martin

I have plenty of bikes and at 6”4 I’m sure a stooge would be to wee!

L
    There are some cheap 2.6 tyres on specalized website 😀

sv

Great bikes, had a Mk1 which was fantastic in 650+ guise. Have a Mk4 now and just swapped most bits over, 650+ on it is fantastic but have the 80mm fork so just about to build a 29+ front wheel for it to see how much better it is.

ajantom

What’s the rear clearance like? Is it tight with a 29″ 2.6 or could you squeeze in a 2.8?

postierich
    Free Member

Love mine been running it with 27.5 plus tyres for the last 2 years done the HT550 on it Ardrock and playing in the Lakes running rigid now got 29er wheels on for some long distance trips including  Italy Divide.

Last nights bivi 80 miles

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2ikkFUJ]83554774_10158170544036474_241232881198825472_n[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

singlespeedstu

Thread derail (sorry)
    You OK Rich?
    Hope stuff is working out for you.
    Matt and Jacky were asking if all three of you guys are ok?
    As you were.

bigblackshed

I have plenty of bikes and at 6”4 I’m sure a stooge would be to wee!

Nope. I’m 6’4″ too, my 20″ (large) MK3 fits like a glove with a 50mm stem and a Thomson layback post. I think I could go for a straight post without too much compromise. The MK4 is only a tiny bit shorter in the top tube than the large MK3, but with a shorter seat tube to accommodate dropper posts.

Do It! Do it now.

happybiker
    Free Member

I’m 6 foot and have a Brand X 150mm dropper, loads of post sticking out so could run at least 175mm dropper.
    Just switched from B+ to 29+ front and it’s better with the bigger wheels. Thinking of running a Vigilante 2.8″ up front, not sure what WTB rear to run around 2.5/2.6? Front rim is 35mm inner, rear is 30mm, perhaps a fast rolling Vigilante?

sv

Minion DHR 29×3.0 for me up front on a 35mm inner rim. Well still have to buy!

ajantom

I’ve already got Rabbit Holes on Hope hubs from the Krampus, Minion DHF 3″ on the front.
    Was looking at this for the rear…
    Goodyear Newton Ultimate EN 29″ 2.6

happybiker
    Free Member

That Good Year looks good, never tried their MTB tyres.

retrobri
    Free Member

Awesome bikes and welcome aboard. I bought a MK2 last year of a club member and was blown away how good a ride it is, MK4 frame arrived last week…as you do!

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

superb bikes, great trail bike

wzzzz
    Free Member

maxxis have 29 x 3.0 DHF reduced to £40

Fat Bike / Plus

bonzodog
    Free Member

maxxis have 29 x 3.0 DHF reduced to £40

Darn it! Paid £65 not a week ago to front my MK4 🙁

easdoesit
    Free Member

What are the differences in geometry between stooge mk 3 and Jones SWB?

I have mk 3 by the way and bloody love it!

jonestown
    Free Member

@easdoesit Much shorter chainstays (425mm at their shortest) on the MK3, slacker head angle, longer top tube I imagine. Despite what Singlespeed Stu thinks, the MK3 is a very different machine.

ajantom

Ha, I’m in the doghouse (sort of!)

I get a message at midday from the lady of the house…”what the hell have you bought?”
    Turns out she knew I was going to order a frame, but I’d failed to inform her that the order had been made!

All happy now though.

bigblackshed

It’s easier to ask forgiveness than to ask for permission.

ajantom

Started building it up this evening, and encountered a couple of minor issues so far…

1 – I’ve been spoilt by integrated headsets! I’d forgotten what a hassle fitting 1 1/8 headsets are. I’ll be blowed if I can find my old headset press anywhere, so did it the old way with some wood and a girt big g-clamp. Works, but a tedious job!

2 – the paint’s nice and thick. Too thick in fact, so the dropouts won’t quite fit on. Seems a pity to have to sand/file paint off a new frame. But seems I’ll have to 🙁

3 – took out the ebb to check it was greased, and the BB was full of swarf. Guess it had come out if the seat or down tube. Not too impressed with that really. As if I hadn’t pulled the ebb out it would have been rotating on metal filings when I adjusted it.

Looks lovely though, and can’t wait to go for a maiden spin.

bonzodog
    Free Member

1 – I’ve been spoilt by integrated headsets! I’d forgotten what a hassle fitting 1 1/8 headsets are. I’ll be blowed if I can find my old headset press anywhere, so did it the old way with some wood and a girt big g-clamp. Works, but a tedious job!
    2 – the paint’s nice and thick. Too thick in fact, so the dropouts won’t quite fit on. Seems a pity to have to sand/file paint off a new frame. But seems I’ll have to 🙁
    3 – took out the ebb to check it was greased, and the BB was full of swarf. Guess it had come out if the seat or down tube. Not too impressed with that really. As if I hadn’t pulled the ebb out it would have been rotating on metal filings when I adjusted it.

I didn’t encounter any of the above, though I confess my bike shop popped the headset in for me (after removing from my old frame). But now all that guff is out of the way, you can just enjoy this wonderful bike.

legometeorology
    Free Member

Nicest looking bike I’ve ever built and they ride very well. A little heavy, but very stable and still agile (I’ve got heavy wheels on their too).

I had the same issue with the dropouts. Thought there was an issue with the frame at first, but was relieved when they went on easily after removing a tiny bit of paint.

null

cynic-al
    Free Member

It’s ages since I looked at any of this style of bike, but my memory is they have tiny changes from commonly used geometry…how much of the amazing rise is the Jones “magic” (or, cynically, purchase price confirmation bias)?

spectabilis
    Free Member

Premier Icon
    cynic-al

Subscriber
    It’s ages since I looked at any of this style of bike, but my memory is they have tiny changes from commonly used geometry…

🤭 show your working.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Stooge owners, persuade me’ is closed to new replies.