Viewing 40 posts - 1,441 through 1,480 (of 1,481 total)
  • Stooge Cycles – who's interested? (slack 29er content)
  • letmetalktomark

@macias – pending your proportions I would suggest probably the 18″.

I’m 6’3″ and mine is the purple 650b+ one a few pages back with the layback post.

I’m longer in the body than leg so I often need the TT length but not the ST length.

The 20″ is a really good fit for me.

guitarhero
    Free Member

Seriously thinking about swapping my Mk2 for a Mk3 so I can run a sus fork.
    What would be a good fork for B+?
    Thinking maybe a 29er/B+ 120 mm Pike. Anything else worth considering for not silly money? I’ve been out of the boing game for a while now.
    Would 51mm offset work better as its closer to the rigid fork’s 55 mm?

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

im 6’0 with long arms and legs and the purple 20 i tested in the facebook article felt right to me, im not saying the smaller one would feel any better as i just don’t know, even though the 20 looked too big for me it still felt right and rode really well, if i was to be riding just for distances i would prolly get the 20 (in green) 😆 but before i make my mind up which size im getting i will wanna try a smaller frame, Great bike though, very impressive on the trail, it jumped well considering the awful conditions and some of the drops i sent it off would have made some suspended bikes quake, it felt like a big Bmx 8)

jonestown
    Free Member

Guitarhero, the forks i fitted to the purple bike are 29/B+ Boost Rebas with 120mm travel and 51mm offset, the handing feels really great with them so the Pikes in the same would be gggggreat.

Macias, at shy of 6′ i’d say the 18 is the size for you. I’m 6′ and normally ride the 18, but i built up the 20 with a much shorter stem and 120mm forks and it fits great and is probably more suitable for suspension, but if you’re planning on staying rigid then i’d say stick with the 18.

macias
    Free Member

Thanks Lawmanmx and Andy for comments.

I am indeed planning to have 120 mm forks on it for the mountain days. I am running 35 mm stem anyway and not planning to have anything longer anytime soon…

I find my current setup on 18″ frame to be very fun, but if I go any longer rides (2h+) I can feel some fatigue due to the position. Perhaps it’s me aging though 🙂

summerwastin
    Free Member

As I slowly inch closer to getting the funds together to buy a mk3, i’ve got a question:

Will the mk3 frame fit a 29″ 2.4 ardent on a velocity dually? Or would the same tyre be better matched with a velocity blunt rim? I know the chain stays have been shortened on this frame compared to the mk2, so I just wanted to ask. I have seen pictures from people who are running either combination, has anyone got any chat on how rim width affects the tyre?

Hopefully I’ll be able to test ride and buy one next month, maybe trying it with b+ vs a 29″ rear anyway, (so maybe I will prefer the b+?) But for now I kind of expect a 29″ wheel to match well with the kind of riding I do these days.

thanks for the advice. I love that this thread is still going strong…..

summerwastin
    Free Member

I’m just thinking about the rear wheel.

29+ up front all the way….

dknwhy

Took my MK2 out for a spin this evening. Bit damp here and my cx doesn’t have mudguards so mucked about on the Stooge. Such a great bike.
    The 27.5 plus wheels in place of the 29er wheels I had have given it a completely different personality. Really tempted to upgrade to a MK3 frame…

letmetalktomark

A couple of updated pics of mine wearing some new parts:

dknwhy

I like that ^^^

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Currently running a Mk1 with 29+ in the front and regular 29 in the back.
    I’m considering going 650b+ front and back – partly because of the cheap Alpkit wheelsets and i think more availability for 650b+ tyres than 29.

Think there’s a few people on this thread that have done the same – so just wondering if, on balance, it’s worth it?
    And what clearance there’d be on the back of a MK1 with 650b+

cheers

mikeys

I managed to get a 27.5 2.8 WTB Ranger on a 40mm Scraper rim in the back of my mk1 with no problems – not sure I’d want to go much wider though for clearance. Have gone back to a regular 29er out back now though as it wasn’t my cup of tea. May be selling wheel and tyre soon.

cokie

^ Love that Stooge. Spot on.
    (I’d only swap the silver for black components).
    I really want to build up another 29er+ front/ 29er rear. Loved that thing.

root-n-5th
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ZjQKyh]Camouflage[/url] by Sam Hodgson357, on Flickr

Very muddy ride today in the Surrey hills – wasn’t allowed back in the house when I made it home. Tyres probably not best suited so slipping and sliding a lot, but the Stooge seemed to be flying, taking conditions in it’s stride. The loop was none techy but plenty of slippery descents. Single speed never felt so good, especially when it came to cleaning and not hearing drivetrain grind itself to bits. I got recommended Squirt chain lube recently and it’s a revelation – never had such silent running in the filth before.

macias
    Free Member

@jimfrandisco
    I was running with Schwalbe Nobby Nic 3.0″ – and that was too big. I have trimmed the outer knobs – but still it rubbed a lot when under the power.

Then I changed to Maxxis Rekon+ 2.8″ – and I find it perfect. It fits, does not rub, and provides excellent traction.

Both on 30mm ID rim.

tazzymtb

couple of Mk3’s one in large one standard. both with 650B+ and one with 120mm forks in. Its a bloody riot!

frood
    Free Member

I had wondered if that was you on the book of face

root-n-5th
    Free Member

Just stuck a 29×3.0 on the front of my large mk3. Makes the front end look a bit more complete. Will see how it goes tomorrow and whether the geometry change is noticeable.

badgerbadger
    Free Member

Been running a MK3 for a couple of months now. Tried 29/Alfine, 29/11 speed and finally settled on 650B+ 2.6/11 speed with a 120mm Yari.
    This thing is a riot and seems to encourage extreme hooliganism every ride!!

miranmtb
    Free Member

Helping badgerbadger 🙂

badgerbadger
    Free Member

Thanks miranmtb.
    I was out riding when they gave out ‘puter brains!!

rOcKeTdOg

Stealth dropper capability for MK4?

fintan45
    Free Member

Just wondering if anyone knows if a stooge Mk1 uses a certain type of gear hangar or is it proprietary to stooge? Also, any idea where stocks them?

ssboggy

Fairly sure Singular (rooster) and Stanton ( Sherpa MK1) gear hangers are the same as the MK1 Stooge

austinburner
    Free Member

Will a 27.5 2.8″ fit in the back of a Mk1?

Gordymac
    Free Member

Possibly a bit cheeky but is anyone looking for a Mk2 Stooge?

I’m not using mine and I can’t justify it sitting in the shed doing nothing anymore. It’s in mint condition as it has only covered 104 miles since I built it up in January.

It was the last of the Radberry colour and is set up singlespeed at present.

I’ll be posting it up on the classifieds in the next few days if anyone is in the lookout.

I have pictures but I’m rubbish at putting them on here!!

macias
    Free Member

Will a 27.5 2.8″ fit in the back of a Mk1?

Yes Sir! At least – Maxxis Rekon+ on the 30 mm ID rim. Lots of clearance.

scud
    Free Member

I can finally join the thread, been hankering for a Stooge for a while and reading this thread hasn’t helped.

Got a Mk1 frame and forks as it was the colour i was looking for and a good price, running it SS for now, but may add gears for summer. Ridden for last three days and i can see why people have been loving them now, really easy bike to ride and to like, fun and easy to chuck about, was amazed how the front end feels feels light and quick to turn despite the big tyre wedged in there.

Only thing i am disappointed about is 2.6 Nobby Nic, i felt i couldn’t go any bigger at front on Flows really, but it doesn’t come up that big really, needs more volume to it. So looking to build a true Plus front wheel.

(yes i know the chain needed tightening!)

[/url]Untitled by Scud75, on Flickr[/img]

[/url]Untitled by Scud75, on Flickr[/img]

soulstealer
    Free Member
    soulstealer
    Free Member
    funkmasterp

I’m currently looking to build up a nice steel bike and keep eyeing up the Stooge. I’d probably sell my current bike to help fund it, so any bike I get would have to cover riding in the Peaks, Macc Forest, occasional trail centres, commuting and family bimbling (canal and bridleways). Could the Stooge do all that comfortably? It’s just the rigid bit that leaves me suspicious.

Such a nice looking bike though. Can it be run as a normal 29er? I tried the plus thing with a Stache and it was unsealable puncture city, especially on the rear and utter shite in the mud.

tazzymtb

Funkmasterp, that’s the area my stooge mk3 gets used on both rigid and with 120mm forks on. They work great with a 29as well or with a 29+ from 29rear. Something like a minion dhf 3.00 is a really good front choice for rocky rigid fun

donks
    Free Member

Had my Mk2 for a couple of years now and as I ride it and lock it up at work most days the lock, chains and bike hoops constantly hitting and rubbing against the frame have chipped shed loads of paint off. In fact TBH even though I like the paint job (pale olive) it’s not too robust so it may require a re-spray. Anyone had this done and have a recommendation for sprayers? Would like to get a new stooge frame sticker as I like this decal. What sort of cash for re-spray on frame and forks?

mariner
    Free Member

donks

Depends where you are located.

Have you asked Andrew at Stooge he might have a recommendation?

Also find out from him the paint spec whether wet or powder.

donks
    Free Member

Not a bad idea mariner, might start there.

rosscopeco
    Free Member

Thread revival.

So I got Andy to make me a Ti Stooge based on a bouncy fork and 650b+ tyre clearance. Just back from it’s first few outings in Torridon and my local trails. It’s very nice!

Some gratuitous photos

[url=https://flic.kr/p/J5VNJo]Ti Stooge[/url] by Rosscopeco, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/269ZtzL]Ti Stooge[/url] by Rosscopeco, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/J5VQtf]Ti Stooge[/url] by Rosscopeco, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/J5VPrW]Ti Stooge[/url] by Rosscopeco, on Flickr

bonesetter
    Free Member

Hasn’t Stooge come a long way

The Speedball has got to be the best fruition yet. Well done Andy

Now if you’ll only make a bigger one 🙂

foncky
    Free Member

Hey guys,

Does anyone has the MK2 geometry chart somewhere ?

Thanks !

bruceonabike
    Free Member

Just ordered a 3rd Gen to replace my Inbred singlespeed because my Sherpa doesn’t like that set up.  I love the Sherpa but the horizontal swapouts aren’t quite long enough to get chain tension when running 27.5 with 3″ tires.  The Sherpa will have to put up with being geared and only coming out on the hillier trips.

julioflo
    Free Member

Soo….I need new forks for my 29er Hardtail and have been hankering after a Stooge for a while. Maybe now is the time to make the switch…

Any secondhand Stooges out there? Frameset with forks, or with 29+ front wheel also…

Thanks

Viewing 40 posts - 1,441 through 1,480 (of 1,481 total)

The topic ‘Stooge Cycles – who's interested? (slack 29er content)’ is closed to new replies.