Viewing 40 posts - 1,121 through 1,160 (of 1,481 total)
  • Stooge Cycles – who's interested? (slack 29er content)
  • cokie

Thanks, Bonsetter.
    Running Spec Ground Control 3.0″ front and rear. Look like nice summer tyres.
    Front chainring is the Sram DM X1 in 32t- it came with the cranks.

Yeah, I’ve had a play and the Moto bars are brilliant. They are so comfotable! Just puts my wrist in the right place. Not sure how they’ll fair on my local trails though. It can get very narrow.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Nice looking chainring. Only comes as small as 32 by the looks (I like 30 on a 1x)

Those Moto’s are indeed sweet. I was sure I would cut mine down, but haven’t given it another thought. Mind you I think mine are prototypes and 780’s… but zero issues as yet (YMMV of course)

Complement the bike perfectly. I shortened the stem too which I felt it needed after the Moto addition

Let us know how you get on

dalhalvaig
    Free Member

Not been on here for a while…so a wee update.
    But first the weather…we are having a dry spell here in the we(s)t of Scotland so a set up change may be required.

Just checked Strava this morning and the Stooge has now covered 5500km with me since last July – I have never ridden so far in a year, which is testament in itself. And…since January, I’ve been running a 26×4 Maxxis Mammoth fat set up on the front to get me through the mud. That is 2000km. It has been blast, but reading Bonsetter on the last page, maybe time to go back to the 29×3 Chronicle for these few weeks of dry we have and have a hoon around. Hence may be a set up change for a few weeks.

And service items in that 5500km – a couple of chains, a cassette, a freehub, a BB, two sets of pads all round…

bonesetter
    Free Member

Nice feedback dalhalvaig, always good to hear folk enjoying riding, and on the Stooge. I’m sure it makes Mr Stooge’s day too

Let us know how it goes with the Chronicle. I think I’ll leave mine on for the summer

Have you got the Moto bars?

dalhalvaig
    Free Member

Well, I put the 29×3 Chronicle on last Thursday night and suddenly the scenery arrives much quicker…in a good way. Lots of segment times dropping. Bike is much more nimble, just as I remember it before. Obviously a bit stiffer and a bumpier ride after the Fat Fork set-up. but not complaining. To be honest, it was back to hooning around and a grin like a kid

No I don’t have the Moto bars. I like flat bars and have tried other set ups, and always end up flat again. Had a Bend 2 on my wife’s Stooge, neither of us got that.

The rain is back…maybe that was our summer

cokie

Some more photos.. sorry about my grass.
    Done a fair bit of mileage now. I rode just over 3,500 miles on my Mk1 stooge with 29er rear and 29+ front. I loved that bike. Initially wanted to get the Ti version, but sadly out of budget so went for a Mk2. As expected, bike feels as great as before but the new tyres and bars make a huge difference. Love the 650b+ on this. The cheap carbon post is also ace. The whole thing is so comfortable, but still playful. Couple bike packing trips planned for summer.

takisawa2

Cokie, nice house mate.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Love mine – it’s first proper trip out (and my second actual ride on it!) Was the Southlakes 100 #jennride.

Fantastic weekend and the bike was brilliant

root-n-5th
    Free Member

A pink one! I’m tempted by that colour, but I don’t think the kids would understand. You just had have lived through the late eighties/early nineties to appreciate that colour I think.

ssboggy

I’m sure it’s somewhere in the previous 33 pages but to save me from reading it all can someone confirm whether a b+ wheel/tyre will fit in the rear of a Mk1?
    I seem to think it won’t

adjustablewench
    Free Member

I think the mark one took up to 2.8 tyres

ssboggy

I think the mark one took up to 2.8 tyres

Cheers,loving mine with a 29er Chronicle on the front and just wondering what the biggest tyre is that will fit in the back

ssboggy

Cheers adjustablewench,probably just stick with a biggish 29er tyre then.

bonesetter
    Free Member

I run mine with a Trailblazer 2.8 rear and Chronicle front – a very good combo

(pic on previous page)

frogstomp

Just switched from 29(+) to B+ and here’s the result.. the latter looks rather skinny by comparison!

Will be interesting to see the difference in ride – that’s a decent drop for the BB.

ssboggy

I’m thinking I’ll leave the Chronicle on the front and put a fast rolling 29″ tyre on the back. I can’t see much point in spending a load of money on a new rim and spokes for 27+
    ^^ that gif is awesome btw

bonesetter
    Free Member

Holy pulsation!

bikeytom
    Free Member

That’s a superb illustration of the difference between the two sizes frogstomp!
    I’ve done about 500km on my Stooge now and have sold my full susser as i’m just not riding it any more. I’m also thinking about getting a set of light xc 29er wheels for it (27.5+ scrapers/2.8 and 3.0 wtb tyres at the moment). Was thinking I might go 19mm rim on the back and something like a 23mm on the front with some fast rolling tyres. Anyone tried this in comparison to + size?

bonesetter
    Free Member

Keep with your +

Those 29 xc’s are so last decade

superstu
    Free Member

That gif is awesome great way of illustrating the differences.
    Really enjoying the recent update pics

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Been thinking about switching my Swift for a Stooge, I’ve had it since 2010 so had some fun out of it…
    I’m currently running an Alfine 8 out the back and 100mm Rockshox up front.
    I’ve not seen one with shocks fitted but I think I will have to fit mine until I’ve had my wrist operation, then might go to 29×3, Anyone fitted forks?

Still not 100% if I want to change yet as I do like my Swift but I think the Stooge might suite me more.

Cheers, Steve

bonesetter
    Free Member

Remember the ‘weight rotated back’ Stooge arrangement, so little to none front/arm (wrist) loading

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

bonesetter – Member
    Remember the ‘weight rotated back’ Stooge arrangement, so little to none front/arm (wrist) loading

Yes thanks, one of the things making me think about changing, I think I would still need to run with a squishy fork until my wrist is fixed and a round of physio.. It’s gotten so bad I can’t open a beer or pour a kettle!

Cheers, Steve

ssboggy

I’ve not seen one with shocks fitted but I think I will have to fit mine until I’ve had my wrist operation, then might go to 29×3, Anyone fitted forks?

I’m pretty sure tazzymtb fitted some 120mm travel fork’s to his Stooge and said it was great ride. As long as the axle to crown measurement is not too different i can’t see it being a problem

bonesetter
    Free Member

ooh dear

If you’re in any doubt and wnat to try one, I’m half way between Birmingham and Worcester

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Ok thanks, I’m down the bottom of Cornwall, sadly won’t be coming up north any time soon…

Cheers, Steve

bonesetter
    Free Member

CTBM then 🙂

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Yea was trying to convince SWMBO to go home via CTBM’s place… we were camping in Devon so only a small diversion…
    I think would take me about the same time to drive to the Midlands… got quite used to driving to the Telford area.

Cheers, Steve

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

TBH I just need to man up and buy one, the misses will understand….. 🙄

Cheers, Steve

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

I’m sure it’s somewhere obvious but can’t seem to find frame and fork weight on the website – anyone point me in the right direction?
    cheers

dalhalvaig
    Free Member

Just cracked the 6000km mark this morning. That’s mainly just pottering about around Mugdock and Carbeth north of Glasgow. Just taken 11 months which is the further than I’ve ever ridden in a year, far less 11 months, which is testament to the pleasure of riding Stooge.

Still come home with a smile on my face…

and if Google Photos plays ball you should now be looking at a picture of a dusty/dirty 6 grand Stooge just in from the trail this morning. Yes dusty, in Scotland, not raining – who knew?

cokie

Jimfrandisco- drop me an email. Got pictures of the Stooge frame and fork on the scale.

cokie.stw(at)gmail.com

Cheezpleez

Jimfrandisco. It’s not light but don’t be put off by that.

tazzymtb

I’m pretty sure tazzymtb fitted some 120mm travel fork’s to his Stooge and said it was great ride. As long as the axle to crown measurement is not too different i can’t see it being a problem

yes it was fookin mental fun. A mav fork with a 650B+ would be ace

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

@TazzyMTB – Thanks, You’ve also seen my comment over of FB…. Still undecided what to do, I will probably stick with the Swift in all honesty, does everything I need it’s just a bit battered now….Just turned 30 and fancied a look at me pin….Radberry bike…. Also a bit more of a relaxed riding position.

Cheers, Steve

bergie05
    Free Member

Recent convert here, loving the bike. I generally ride rigid SS, amazing how this geo makes for a more comfortable ride, even with the burly fork. This being said, I am thinking about pulling the trigger on a Ti version. i know there aren’t many out there, but can anyone provide a comparison? Especially interested in fork options. I see a couple People using Enve fork, curious if anyone is running a bontrager Bowie.

mikeys

Hi all, just putting together my first Stooge thanks to ssboggy. It’s looking lovely, but what do I need to fix the rear brake hose and rear mech cable to the down tube twin fixings? I can’t seem to find anything online so any one got any tips?
    Cheers

AlasdairMc

A cable tie?

mikeys

Yes, I’ve gone with cable ties at the moment, but wanted something a bit neater. I’ve got C clips for the single mounts and wondered if there was something similar for the doubles.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,121 through 1,160 (of 1,481 total)

The topic ‘Stooge Cycles – who's interested? (slack 29er content)’ is closed to new replies.