Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Stolen in Bristol
  • cyve
    Free Member

One Ghost AMR900
    Large
    Black / blue / grey
    Rockshox Reverb
    Onza bars
    Frame number: EN14766

Lapierre Zesty 214
    Medium
    White / red
    Rockshox Reverb (broken cable)
    Nuke proof pedals
    Frame: LP3211794

Stolen from a locked office in a locked, alarmed house.
    Police were on the scene within twenty minutes.

samej
    Free Member

Stolen from a locked office in a locked, alarmed house.

Yikes. I’m getting scared to be seen outside with my bikes in Bristol.

Hope you get them back.

citybs13
    Free Member

Will keep a lookout in south bristol for you , do you think you were followed home ?

cyve
    Free Member

Thanks for that.

I can only assume that we were followed. They ignored our commuting bikes and broke into my office to get them, so I think they knew what they were after.

We are back and forward to Leigh Woods / Ashton Court a couple of times a week, so it would have been quite easy for them.

cyve
    Free Member

[/url] Ghost AMR9000 LaPierre 214 by simonhbacon, on Flickr[/img]

Here they are in Spain earlier this year.

dickydownes
    Free Member

Hope you get them back.

Just moved down to Bristol with my bike. Been told it’s pretty bad for theft down here – is it really that bad?

MrAgreeable

That’s awful. Seemed like things were going quiet on the bike theft front here, then nine bikes got stolen from Bikefest last weekend, and now this.

If you want I can post them up on the local stolen bikes website I run. It’s a long shot but someone could spot them

MrAgreeable

Dickydownes, Bristol’s just like London or Cambridge, in that we’ve got a lot of cyclists, and a fair few bike thieves to go along with it.

A lot of the bikes stolen tend to be high-end MTBs because we’ve got trails so close to the city. The local cops are quite on the ball and it seems like theft is dropping overall, but it still pays to be sensible – keep your bike somewhere secure, don’t leave it unattended on a roof rack (the locks on those things are cack) and chances are you’ll be fine.

Leku
    Free Member

I feel your pain. Mine were taken from Bristol home office too (18 months ago). Will keep them peeled…

Try;

http://www.stolenbristolbikes.com/

boxfish
    Free Member

The local cops are quite on the ball

Alas, not my experience. OK, so they visited the scene and looked for evidence but having subsequently spotted parts of my stolen bike for sale, the police reaction was unsatisfactory to say the least.

Will keep my eyes peeled for you, OP, but I believe most high-end stolen bikes are quickly stripped and moved around the country. It pays to personalise as many of your bike components as you can. It helps to ID them if they crop up for sale somewhere.

MrAgreeable

There’s a local guy at the moment who is trying to recover a set of forks he spotted on eBay. He has the serial number (which 99% of people wouldn’t make a note of) so hopefully something will happen.

Personalising your bike is a good move. Removing decals would probably put a lot of thieves off – they know a bit about bikes but they’re not as hardcore as some of the people on here!

I do see where the “once it’s gone it’s gone” attitude comes from but it doesn’t help get bikes back or catch thieves.

boxfish
    Free Member

“once it’s gone it’s gone”

I kept searching for a long time: my stuff turned up 18 months after the bike was stolen!

A quick bit of investigation revealed the ID and address of the seller. I provided all information to the 2 relevant police forces. Nothing was done about it for nearly 6 weeks. I remain to be convinced that Avon and Somerset are taking bike theft seriously.

MrAgreeable

Going back a few years, my last bike theft was dealt with very quickly and efficiently by a couple of officers who knew what they were up against. It’s a shame that things are so variable but I wouldn’t say they’re all useless, that just leads to a “why bother” attitude which doesn’t help anyone.

You also have to bear in mind that most bike thefts in Bristol are fairly small potatoes. For every one like this, I get sent 5 or ten bikes that are worth less than £500, if that. Of course these bikes are valuable in lots of other ways but so are lots of things that get stolen. It sucks, but bike theft is almost certainly a symptom of high levels of cycling rather than something that’s going to curtail it. Look at Amsterdam, it has a massive bike theft problem but still has plenty of cyclists.

cyve
    Free Member

@Mr Agreeable

Thank you – that would be much appreciated.

MrAgreeable

Done! Get sharing on Twitface, Myspace or whatever the kids are using these days.

http://www.stolenbristolbikes.com/2013/10/simons-ghost-amr900-and-lapierre-zesty.html

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Stolen in Bristol’ is closed to new replies.