Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Stocks/shares – Coronavirus/Brexit/Trump etc
  • cyclelife
    Free Member

What’s the STW holders doing with theirs in the present situation?

I’m new to investing and will need funds my SIPP in 6 years time – Stick or move?

footflaps

Shares are a long term investment and you should be aware that a 40% fall (the next crash) is not that unlikely at some point in the next 6 years. NB They normally recover quite quickly after each crash; but there are no guarantees….

thekingisdead
    Free Member

time *in* the market, not *timing* the market.

This shouldn’t even make you blink if you’re investing in shares, tbh. I’ve just topped up with some extra cash sat in my SIPP.

6 years out from retirement (and depending on your retirement strategy – drawdown, annuity etc) I would hope you have your allocations correct (% equities vs % bonds) to take into account little blips like this.

To be brutally honest (and not meant aggressively) if you’re worried about a blip like this are you going to be able to remain calm when a 20-30% fall comes?

footflaps

6 years out from retirement (and depending on your retirement strategy – drawdown, annuity etc) I would hope you have your allocations correct (% equities vs % bonds) to take into account little blips like this.

I’ll be 100% in equities at 6 years out as I’m expecting them to grow for another 40 years (assuming I live that long).

thekingisdead
    Free Member

I’ll be 100% in equities at 6 years out as I’m expecting them to grow for another 40 years (assuming I live that long).

Indeed! I should have added, “I hope your allocations are correct….for your retirement strategy”. It sounds like cyclelife *might* be liquidating at retirement, so I assumed some allocation split between bonds/equities was in order.

cyclelife
    Free Member

Looking at drawdown in 6 years.

footflaps

In one lump sum?

I would be expecting to take something like 4% per annum and leave the 96% in equities and just expect that some years I’ll take more or less than others depending on the ups and downs….

Edukator
    Free Member

Either buy the dips or program a drip feed from fixed income to shares over a period long enough to get a reasonable average entry price. The market is priced for economic perfection at present and things are rarely perfect. Nobody knows what to do with their money as there is very little return or potential return wherever you look.

cyclelife
    Free Member

I will be looking at drawing down front weighted over probably 15 years and as I get older (need less bikes etc!) I would need less income.

maccruiskeen

as I get older (need less bikes etc!) I would need less income.

how does the cost of full time residential nursing care compare to an interest in bikes?

how does the cost of full time residential nursing care compare to an interest in bikes?

Best to have spent it all by the time you need full time nursing care.

cyclelife
    Free Member

My long term care is of no interest to me.
    A bottle of expensive single malt, a one way train ticket to the top of Snowdon in mid winter and a generous donation to the Snowdonia Mountain Rescue Team.
    Job done!
    Oh, nearly forgot – cremation in Bedgelert. Then my sons will ride down the double black at Antur with them (the only way I’ll ever get down it) followed by my ashes being thrown into the Mawdach off Penmaenpool Toll Bridge 😉

footflaps

My long term care is of no interest to me.

Reminds me, the wife keeps asking me to get some cyanide for such an event. I have to keep reminding her that a) Amazon don’t sell it and b) how would you know it was the real stuff?

deserter
    Free Member

I have the same worries

I have some funds sat as cash in my investment account and everything seems to be pointing towards a correction yet common advice is just invest anyway, it seems to me that I would lose 10 years getting back to where I started if I did that so I’m kind of sat not knowing what to do

Ro5ey
    Free Member

This Virus nonsense will be forgotten about in 6 weeks it’s a nice buying opportunity.

I have some funds sat as cash

I’m kind of sat not knowing what to do

Yep …. you and many many more….. get it invested before all the others realise they are wasting time too.

Good luck

Remember unless you are 70/80 you’ve got plenty of time.

martinhutch

A bottle of expensive single malt, a one way train ticket to the top of Snowdon in mid winter and a generous donation to the Snowdonia Mountain Rescue Team.
    Job done!

The Snowdon Train doesn’t run between October and March.

Chuck yourself off the top of Vivian Quarry instead, it’s easier for the MRT. 🙂

footflaps

The Snowdon Train doesn’t run between October and March.

They need to organise a Dignitas express winter special…

irc

Don’t forget although there is a risk of markets dropping there is a near certainty a holding cash at a 1% rate is losing money in real terms.

To some extent you can think of this as a reducing risk. Markets drop and if they drop 10% or 15% right after you buy you have lost money (if you sell). But if the market rises after you buy then you can have drops later on and still be ahead of a 1% savings a/c. As an example I stuck £10k in a Vanguard fund in Nov 2018. It’s now worth £11724. So the market needs to drop roughly 15% before I’m losing money on that. Any more growth in the next year and the cushion increases.

epicyclo

Many of the Tory leadership are heavily invested in Health providers. They are knowledgeable chaps.

Maybe they know of some opportunities coming up where they could make a killing…

poolman
    Free Member

I like Ian Cowie in the saturday telegraph, basically stay invested and stay diversified. Ftse s yielding c 4.5% reinvest this after 4 years you are pretty much covered for a 20% correction. If it dips you buy more volume.

It’s true, early losses are painful but just sit tight. If you have 10 stocks at any one time maybe 3 or 4 are out of favour so capital loss making.

At this moment for me its tobacco and property hardest hit. Some are coming back, like bats, just hearing Neil Woodford lost 50% of investor funds so my 10% or so loss doesn’t look too bad. Reinvested divis more than compensate.

surfer
    Free Member

Invest for the long term. The majority of professional fund managers cant time the market so dont try. Agree with Footflaps (other than his doom mongering which is impossible to predict :-))

matt303uk

I always look at the downturns as an opportunity to bung a bit more into my long-term investment pot, but other than that never try to play the market.

footflaps

I like Ian Cowie in the saturday telegraph,

I read him religiously every week in the Sunday Times, didn’t know he also wrote about the same thing in the Telegraph.

Some are coming back, like bats, just hearing Neil Woodford lost 50% of investor funds so my 10% or so loss doesn’t look too bad. Reinvested divis more than compensate.

I have to thank the Sunday Times business / money section for persuading me to get out before it all went tits up. They ran a series of articles about the risks / flaws of his funds before he got in trouble and that persuaded me (combined with poor returns) to sell up completely. Six months later, the shit really did hit the fan

What I did think was odd was that a few weeks after the Sunday Times was warning about his Patient Capital fund, Ian Cowie went and invested a load in it. He obviously doesn’t read the paper himself, just writes for it!

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

What I did think was odd was that a few weeks after the Sunday Times was warning about his Patient Capital fund, Ian Cowie went and invested a load in it. He obviously doesn’t read the paper himself, just writes for it!

Posted 52 minutes ago

He’s very good at telling you what he’s bought; very slow at admitting he was wrong!
    But aren’t they all…

footflaps

He’s very good at telling you what he’s bought; very slow at admitting he was wrong!
    But aren’t they all…

Not read his Telegraph stuff but in the ST he regularly writes about “Cowies Clangers” ie his duff investments…

Edukator
    Free Member

Bump 😋

cyclelife
    Free Member

Well pleased I moved my pot to a safe place, can always put it back once the market stabilizes.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Stocks and shares – Corona virus impacts

a link to a current thread for those that feel the need to needlessly bump old threads on the same subject for some unknown reason.

snaps
    Free Member
    hugo
    Free Member

Who knows.

If you’re a conservative investor then just go for a Vanguard Lifestrategy 60% fund and don’t stress it.

Diversified, low fee, easy and well balanced.

scruff9252

Ro5ey
    Free Member
    This Virus nonsense will be forgotten about in 6 weeks

Well that statement didn’t age well!

finbar
    Free Member

Investing with Woodford again 😀 ? I’m sure his new firm will get a glowing write up in the Torygraph at some point soon though and boomers will be straight back on board.

butcher

I was so confused reading through this thread until I seen the date.

Anyway, what’s the current thoughts on the market? As a relative novice to this stuff I’m having a hard time understanding where it’s at, and how it bounced back so strongly after the initial lockdown dip.

footflaps

They’re still raking through the ruins of his last funds!

Although interestingly the real villains appear to be Link Solutions who actually ran the fund (he just picked the stocks). They decided to collapse the fund overnight and sell everything off well below market value, thus crystallising the losses in the worst possible way. Turns out they have form in this and have done exactly the same before. Woodford had made a lot of very poor choices (with hindsight) but people lost even more because of the way the fund was closed down (which had nothing to do with him).

However, can’t see Woodford have broad appeal now; I wouldn’t touch him with a bargepole (and I used to have a load of money in his funds but sold it all after several years of dire returns).

Flaperon

Why bother with Woodford? Baillie Gifford Positive Change fund has returned close to 30% over the last three years and it’s invested largely in non-evil companies.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Stocks/shares – Coronavirus/Brexit/Trump etc’ is closed to new replies.