Steve Potts

Home Forum Bike Forum Steve Potts

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 55 total)
  • Steve Potts
  • d45yth

Very nice…it’s missing a suspension fork though! 😕

Premier Icon mboy
    Subscriber

Crikey, you’d think with all that Ti, XTR and carbon rims, that you’d be able to afford a bloody suspension fork!

😉

Nice though. I daren’t ask how much, quite simply cos I know I can’t afford! I’m betting it’s worth more than my 2 mountain bikes, my road bike, and my car all put together though!

trail_rat

what is the fork ? steve potts ?

looks a little weedy if im honest

rest of the bike looks mean 😀

Premier Icon letmetalktomark
    Subscriber

Very nice.

Fantatsic attention to detail.

One observation though ….. there dosen’t look to be much in the way of clearence ……

mcmoonter

No Potts bike is complete without a Black Mountain Cycles water bottle. Looks great.

rewski
    amplebrew

mboy – Member
    Crikey, you’d think with all that Ti, XTR and carbon rims, that you’d be able to afford a bloody suspension fork!

Nice though. I daren’t ask how much, quite simply cos I know I can’t afford! I’m betting it’s worth more than my 2 mountain bikes, my road bike, and my car all put together though!

The frame was £1900.00 and the Type II Fork was £450.00 + the import.

trail_rat – Member
    what is the fork ? steve potts ?

looks a little weedy if im honest

rest of the bike looks mean

Yeah, it’s a Potts Type 2 steel fork.

I could only have ever fitted a Potts fork to it, anything else just wouldn’t have been right.

letmetalktomark – Member
    Very nice.

Fantatsic attention to detail.

One observation though ….. there dosen’t look to be much in the way of clearence ……

The rear clearance on the rear is fine at the rear with the 2.2 Ikons fitted. It’s certainly a lot closer at the front, but I don’t think it will be an issue. That’s a 2.2 Ikon on the front as well and I can’t see myself going much bigger.

tang

That is lush.

alex222

How much for those wheels though? 😀

Very tasty – but surely black ck hubs would have been better aesthetically? (imo)

amplebrew

I spent ages trying to decide on hub colour.

First is was silver, then black, then silver, the black, then silver, then black and then silver again 😀

I finally went for silver as I thought it looked a bit more retro and in keeping with the build; especially with the silver XTR brakes.

amplebrew

Finally finished……

PICT2891 by Amplebrew, on Flickr

PICT2897 by Amplebrew, on Flickr

PICT2895 by Amplebrew, on Flickr

PICT2894 by Amplebrew, on Flickr

PICT2907 by Amplebrew, on Flickr

PICT2908 by Amplebrew, on Flickr

PICT2910 by Amplebrew, on Flickr

PICT2917 by Amplebrew, on Flickr

PICT2918 by Amplebrew, on Flickr

PICT2921 by Amplebrew, on Flickr

fasthaggis

Nice frame.
    The rims and forks don’t work for me ,but hey I am a bit strange that way. 🙄

As long as it’s what you enjoy ,have fun.

qwerty

awesome!!!!! rigid works well on it, nice and clean, you just need to ditch all that clutter of the gears and it’ll be AWESOME Tm then!!!!!!!!! 😀

amplebrew

qwerty – Member
    awesome!!!!! rigid works well on it, nice and clean, you just need to ditch all that clutter of the gears and it’ll be AWESOME Tm then!!!!!!!!!

😆

that bike is lovely (even if it does have clown wheels 😆 😉

amplebrew

The only alteration from my original build was the standard Chris King headset.

I had a Chris King titanium headset to go on it, but after a bit of research; decided to fit a standard one to stop any creaking and galling issues.

Premier Icon jonathan
    Subscriber

That does look lovely 🙂

How committed is the geometry to that (really extremely lovely) short fork?

amplebrew

jonathan – Member
    That does look lovely

How committed is the geometry to that (really extremely lovely) short fork?

The axle to crown length on the fork is 421mm, so you’re looking around an 80mm fork with sag.

Premier Icon mboy
    Subscriber

The frame was £1900.00 and the Type II Fork was £450.00 + the import.

So despite the frame being less expensive than I thought it might be, I still think after you tot up the XTR, carbon rims, Ti bars/post/stem and CK hubs, it’s definitely worth more than my 3 bikes and my car altogether! Fair play, that’s a lot of money to spend on a (very very nice) rigid bike… Almost certainly the best finished Ti frame I’ve ever seen, and that includes a number of Merlin’s and an IF. If it were mine (I’m assuming custom geometry?) I’d have gone for a taller front end, to accomodate either a 470(ish) rigid fork, or a 100mm travel suspension fork.

Anyway, here’s a question I couldn’t find an answer to on his website… Why if he makes EVERTHING out of Ti, including the seatpost, bars and stem, does he still use steel for the fork? Seems slightly ill fitting if you ask me. Certainly if I was going to spend that much on everything being Ti, I’d wanna stump up an extra few hundred quid for a Ti fork as well myself.

Premier Icon jonathan
    Subscriber

The axle to crown length on the fork is 421mm, so you’re looking around an 80mm fork with sag.

Heh… that’d be a lot of sag 😉

Sorry, I was just curious anyway, I certainly wouldn’t be putting any suspension on it 🙂

amplebrew

jonathan – Member
    Heh… that’d be a lot of sag
    Sorry, I was just curious anyway, I certainly wouldn’t be putting any suspension on it

That’s cool 😆

An 80mm fork minus 25% sag must be somewhere around 425mm axle to crown maybe?

Apart from a couple of very minor alterations, I went with Steve’s recommended geometry.

The steel Type 2 forks are such a classic design and really well regarded. Steve has been making them for ages now and Titanium wasn’t an option.

Premier Icon jonathan
    Subscriber

I think with a builder like that that’s definitely the thing to do!

I suspect you’d get away with an 80mm fork – but even sagged it’s likely to be closer to 450mm. But I have a personal hatred of sus-corrected rigid forks, particularly on 29ers, so consider it thoroughly admired 🙂

amplebrew

jonathan – Member
    I think with a builder like that that’s definitely the thing to do!
    I suspect you’d get away with an 80mm fork – but even sagged it’s likely to be closer to 450mm. But I have a personal hatred of sus-corrected rigid forks, particularly on 29ers, so consider it thoroughly admired

Thanks Jonathan 🙂

strackbaz

That’s very nice. I’m no expert, but I love the finish of the welds.

Premier Icon mboy
    Subscriber

My old 29er Reba was 510mm at 100mm. Or 490mm at 80mm.

25% sag on it at 80mm, would shorten it by 20mm, which would put it at 470mm. Which is why iirc most 29er rigid forks come in at 470mm a/c.

Hence why I personally would have had it designed round a fork of about this length, cos I’d inevitably fit a suspension fork too. Though there’s no doubt, if you’re only ever going to run rigid on it, the shorter fork is probably a neater solution that gets away from the often fitted negative rise stems with zero stem spacers on 29ers, as well as it probably being slightly stiffer.

amplebrew

My old 29er Reba was 510mm at 100mm. Or 490mm at 80mm.
    25% sag on it at 80mm, would shorten it by 20mm, which would put it at 470mm. Which is why iirc most 29er rigid forks come in at 470mm a/c.
    Hence why I personally would have had it designed round a fork of about this length, cos I’d inevitably fit a suspension fork too. Though there’s no doubt, if you’re only ever going to run rigid on it, the shorter fork is probably a neater solution that gets away from the often fitted negative rise stems with zero stem spacers on 29ers, as well as it probably being slightly stiffer.

It’s definitely going to stay rigid, I think a suspension fork would ruin it.

The fork certainly looks a lot neater and less gangly than the project 2’s on my Kona Unit

Yet another lovely looking bike in obviously too small frame size shocker.

walleater

Lovely bike but I am amazed that in 2012 people still make handlebars without any bulge in them. I bent a Merlin Ti bar within a week back in the day due to that design.

DickBarton

The rear clearance on the rear is fine at the rear

I’d hope the rear of the rear had plenty of space…although in your pics it looks there is a black flywheel or something at the rear of the rear…;-)

scant

lovely bike.

purely FYI. I had a chris king titanium headset in a titanium frame for 8years & when it came time to remove it (I sold the frame) it came out easily. you just need to coat all surfaces with ti prep to prevent any creaking. I never had an issue with the 8yrs I rode that bike.

tomlevell

Perfect as it is.
    Ample mud clearance and a proper length rigid fork.
    I so missed my cut and shut P2 on my 29er with fag packet clearance which I bent, sorry deer. The 440mm Pace are horrid and longer than necessary.

I just wish he’d make 26″ frames still.
    Ah well.

onceinalifetime – Member

Looks spot on to me.

belugabob

Lovely stuff.

I’d be scared to ride it though I’d be listening to every little scrape and ding, thinking about the damage that may be occurring, 😉

Is it me, or is the seat clamp a bit wonky?

cynic-al

Ti forks are usually very flexy in a bad way.

I’m guessing its based on a 26″ 80mm fork sagged?

That’s my only gripe with my Swift, the lack of stand over clearance, which would be a fair bit more if the headtube was 2″ lower. But AFAIK no one makes an off the shelf rigid 29er that isn’t corrected for suspension?

Premier Icon metalheart
    Subscriber

Well I reckon that this is one seriously nice looking bike.

There a similar one on mtbr that won an award at the us handmade bike show (less blinged but weirder bars…).

I’d love a ride on it but tbh I would never be getting one myself.

And as for wrong size, nah, looks just about spot on for me :mrgreen:

amplebrew

onceinalifetime – Member

It’s spot on for me at 5ft 7 🙂

In fairness the post is now half an inch lower than in the pictures.

DickBarton – Member

The rear clearance on the rear is fine at the rear

I’d hope the rear of the rear had plenty of space…although in your pics it looks there is a black flywheel or something at the rear of the rear…;-)

It’s got one of thise new fangled electric motors fastened on the back, makes a big difference on the hills 😀

scant – Member
    lovely bike.

purely FYI. I had a chris king titanium headset in a titanium frame for 8years & when it came time to remove it (I sold the frame) it came out easily. you just need to coat all surfaces with ti prep to prevent any creaking. I never had an issue with the 8yrs I rode that bike.

I really wanted to fit the Ti headset, but when I heard that Moots advised against it; I decided not to. Any creaks or squeaks would just drive me nuts 😯

amplebrew

belugabob – Member
    Lovely stuff.

I’d be scared to ride it though I’d be listening to every little scrape and ding, thinking about the damage that may be occurring,

Is it me, or is the seat clamp a bit wonky?

The Thomson clamp is slightly convex across the top surface, so I think that may give the impression that the seat clamp is not straight.

jimw

Looks lovely, have you ridden it yet, how does it feel?

Very interested to know about the weld line on the seat tube about 25mm below the top tube/seat stays junction- there must be a very good reason for it- do you know why?

clunker

Very nice Amplebrew, mine all going well will be here in August hope it looks as nice as yours 8)

amplebrew

jimw – Member
    Looks lovely, have you ridden it yet, how does it feel?

Very interested to know about the weld line on the seat tube about 25mm below the top tube/seat stays junction- there must be a very good reason for it- do you know why?

Only had a ride around the local roads at the moment, making sure everything is bob on.

The weld halfway down the seat tube is a collar that has been fusion welded in place so the seat tube area is stronger.

The seat tube itself is tapered going from a .035″ wall thickness to a .095″ wall thickness at the top of the collar.

clunker – Member
    Very nice Amplebrew, mine all going well will be here in August hope it looks as nice as yours

Thanks clunker 🙂

Steve is a really great guy to deal with. I know that he’s been really busy after winning his award at NAHBS.

Not long to go, August will soon be here 8)

haggis1978

Can i be the first to say my god man what took you so long??? didnt you have this frame months ago? i wondered if i had missed the build thread somehow. cracking looking machine as well by the way 😀

nick1962

Shrubs and weather look good.

amplebrew

haggis1978 – Member
    Can i be the first to say my god man what took you so long??? didnt you have this frame months ago? i wondered if i had missed the build thread somehow. cracking looking machine as well by the way

It did take a while 😀

I’m really happy with the way it turned out.

nick1962 – Member
    Shrubs and weather look good.

The garden only looks good because my folks were living with me for just over 6 weeks whilst they waited to move into their new house 😆

We did have a bit of sun this morning on the Isle Of Man. Soon turned into rain though!!!

ti_pin_man

Gorgeous. The man sure makes stunning bikes.

A few years ago he added a beautiful disc mount to my ti ibis, cleaned the frame and removed the old bosses. Gorgeous work. Not cheap but worth it.

Mt ti SS has one of the black sheep ti forks and it’s very nice and gets hammered and continues to do what it says on the tin. Like steel to ride but lighter.

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Steve Potts’ is closed to new replies.