Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Steel (853) singlespeed frames – name them please
  • cinnamon_girl

Apart from Inbred and Genesis, what others are there please?

Thank you so much. 🙂

mogsuncle
    Free Member

Sanderson Soloist

druidh
    Free Member

Sanderson Soloist

JB
    Free Member

Cotic Simple

theotherjonv

Rock Lobster TIG Team 853

Orange P8

cinnamon_girl

Ooooh, thanks very much. Ideally would like a second-hand one or, even better, swop mine.

Do these tend to come up, in a 16″, in the Classifieds?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

You daft bint; you had a perfectly good SS’able 853 frame, and what did you do with it?

Pft.

Just get yerself a nice little shopping bike Love, and have done with it.

Mountain biking indeed…. 🙄

X

RealMan
    Free Member

gunnar ruffian (I think)

cinnamon_girl

Elf, you know how useless I am with sizing. 🙄 The Lobster was too short in the top tube. Am now finding that my Inbred is a tad too small.

Women! Don’t you just love us? 😀
    xx

cinnamon_girl

Wow – I can fit my picnic in that basket. 8)

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I don’t know how the RL can be too short. TT is 22.25″. Your 14″ Inbred is shorter than though, I’m sure. A 17″ RL will be 22/75″. Less standover though.

Use a layback seatpost. Push the saddle back a bit more. Get a 10mmm longer stem. Loads of fine-tuning options. Another thing; you use quite wide bars, no? I find that can make a frame feel ‘shorter’.

Personally, I sometimes think my MTBs feel a bit short, when on flat roads and that, but offroad, that translates into better handling for me.

Unless you’re suffering back problems or something, I’d say your bikes are fine.

What are the TT measurements of your other bikes?

epicyclo

Voodoo Wanga

ash

This…

…but it doesn’t really exist.

Ringo
    Free Member

Sir niner

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Pipedream Sirius 853 can be run singlespeed.

cinnamon_girl

Elf – the Lobster was a 15″ and the Inbred has a longer top tube. Am using a layback seat post and short stem but feel that my centre of gravity is all wrong. My neck and shoulders were aching today.

Everyone – thanks so much for suggestions. Certainly value for money points to the Genesis. Can’t believe how expensive some of these steel frames are.

Ash – what is that?

rOcKeTdOg

voodoo wanga

S’not 853

cinnamon_girl

Yes, you’re right. 🙂 Have just been looking at their website.

sssimon
    Free Member

genesis io isn’t 853 either

cinnamon_girl

Yep, just found that out also. 🙁

There’s not really a huge choice, is there?

The Simple is not currently in production.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

What size is your Inbred? What about your Mojo? Litespeed?

What happened to that Cotic you had?? What size stem are you using?

cinnamon_girl

Inbred is a 14″, used to have a 456 in a 16″ and that was too big. Mojo is a small. Litespeed is small/medium with geometry extremely similar to the Soul which I no longer have.

I could ss the Litespeed but don’t want to. I really do want 853 steel and nothing else.

Awkward customer aren’t I? 🙄

Kahurangi

Pipedream Sirius?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ah, right. You see, a 14″ Inbred actually has a 3/4″ shorter top tube than the Rock Lobster. Seriously. So you must have had a different set up.

Your Soul would have been perfect. Why did you get rid of it??

I think you should play around with set-up more. Don’t be afraid to try a longer stem, even if others insist you shouldn’t go longer than a 50mm or something silly. I use a 100mm on my Cannondale, which has a very slightly shorter TT than my RL, and it’s fine. TBH, I can’t tell much difference between the two, in terms of handling. They both balance out just right for me.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

My nearly 10 year old Dialled Love/Hate…

…still love it,

weeble
    Free Member

The Wanga is not 853.

clunker

An IF Steel Deluxe

My 11 year old stipped down for a winter refresh

Tricone
    Free Member

Sounds like time for custom bike – get just what you want and be forever satisfied.

Kahurangi

Ah, right. You see, a 14″ Inbred actually has a 3/4″ shorter top tube than the Rock Lobster. Seriously. So you must have had a different set up.

15″ RL 853 = 22.75″ ETTL
    Small Inbred = 546 mm = 21.5″ ETTL

He’s not wrong apparently.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks again for replies. 🙂

I suspect what has happened is that for the last year I have been riding hardtails only and have become very ‘tuned in’ to the geometry of them.

My Inbred has a silly long seatpost and am just not feeling ‘with the bike’. Also have a very low rise bar and shortish stem.

If only I could find a second-hand Simple, same geometry as my old Soul.

ash

Ash – what is that?

Dialled Bikes Alpine with EBB. Not yet in production, unfortunately.

My nearly 10 year old Dialled Love/Hate

Being that it first went into production in 2006, make that nearly 5 years old at the most 😉 (it’s not 853 either !)

cinnamon_girl

Edit: custom bike will definitely not happen. I’ve already got two others fighting it out for Top Dog title. 🙄

PJ266
    Free Member

Curtis?

cinnamon_girl

Curtis? I want cheap!!

druidh
    Free Member

How cheap?

PJ266
    Free Member

Sorry, I only read the thread title and skim read 😛 To be fair someone else suggested an IF!

cinnamon_girl

Ideally second hand, having bought a carbon frame off Classifieds recently when I shouldn’t have. 😳

The Sirius looks good value at £349, everything else will get swapped from the Inbred.

mboy
    Free Member

C_G, only difference between 853 and normal cromoly steel is weight. Two identical frames, one made of 853 and the other made of cromo, the 853’s extra strength would allow approximately 1/3 to 1/2 lb to be saved.

In other words, not very much! You can save that sort of weight elsewhere very easily… Wheels, tyres for example, where they make more difference.

Fwiw, if a 14″ inbred is too short, and a 16″ too long, you could do a lot worse than try a 16″ genesis io. They may be “normal” cromo not 853, but they’re very good frames and probably lighter than the pipedream Sirius (which is massively overweight for an 853 frame at 5.5lb!). 16″ genesis is 22.4″ TT I think, about spot on for you…

batman11
    Free Member

What about dekerf? http://www.dekerf.com/Details.asp?id=2

And ebay america for cheep secondhand worth a scout around…

Bats.

cinnamon_girl

mboy – yes, I appreciate the points you are making but I do like 853 steel. I’m a woman – I do difficult!!

So … narrowed down to Sirius and that has only recently been made in 853 so therefore new only, or a second-hand Simple.

Humphhhhh. 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Steel (853) singlespeed frames – name them please’ is closed to new replies.