Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Steady away weatherproof / gnarmac NYM route from Pickering to Rosedale
  • el_boufador

Hello,
    After a bit of route advice
    The missus (fit, but not great technically) and I are off doing a mini-tour of the NYM at the weekend. The plan is to ride from Pickering up to Danby (via Cafe stop in Rosedale) on the Saturday, then back again on the Sunday.

I have most of a route (vaguely) planned out in my head, however I’m struggling slightly with the first leg from Pickering to Rosedale. I don’t really know that particular area and don’t want it either to be too much on road, or too difficult terrain either.

Requirements / Complications:
    Needs to be non-technical
    Needs to be weatherproof (is pissing down from now until Friday!)
    Ideally through sheltered areas, as will be heading into the wind and uphill at this point.

Was thinking of heading N from Pickering,
    Minor roads and track to Cawthorne
    Through Cropton on forest tracks via Sutherland lodge / Spiers ho
    End up at either Hartoft End or Low Muffles
    Road (or maybe pick up a BW) towards Rosedale

Anyone know that route? Good idea or not?
    Any betterer ideas?

Thanks!

el_boufador

Bump…anyone?

whitestone
    Free Member

We used to live in Rosedale. The best BW is that on the west side of the river: from Cropton go down the hill then head towards Lastingham and turn right at Lower Askew. There’s one very short bit (maybe 20 metres) that you’ll need to carry your bike over boulders) but the rest of it is fine. It ends up at the White Horse pub halfway up Chimney Bank. It’s slightly harder than the route you describe to Low Muffles, depending on the actual wind direction it might be a bit exposed but not as much as being on the tops.

el_boufador

Thanks yes I know that one, it’s great..Intend to do it coming the other way on the Sunday! How does it hold up in the wet? I’ve only ever ridden it Bone dry

whitestone
    Free Member

There’s a soft bit or two but it holds up fairly well during the summer. The BW by the river leading from Cropton to Sinnington should be avoided though, a bit of a bog fest through the woods.

el_boufador

Nice one, thanks for the advice!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Steady away weatherproof / gnarmac NYM route from Pickering to Rosedale’ is closed to new replies.