Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Stans Crest yellow tape – Faff……or Fool ?
  • tragically1969
    Free Member

I dont know if i am doing something wrong but seem to be struggling to get the yellow 25mm tape to sit properly in a Stans Crest rim, it seems too wide and want to cover the bead socket every now and again at one side, have you got to wiggle it from side to side to get it to seat correctly ?

I have done a pair of Flows but they are wider and seemed easy to do by comparision….

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Probably the wrong width? Is the tape not narrower for all the rims other than the flows

reggiegasket
    Free Member

yeah 25mm sounds wide. I use 19mm on pretty much all the rims I’ve taped (mtb and road)

I don’t use Stans tape either. The 3M crossweave tape is just as good and a fraction of the price.

matthew_h
    Free Member

With Crests you can use either the 21mm or the 25mm Stan’s tape but the 25mm works better. You do have to pull it very tight (really, really pull on it) and a bit of wiggling does help but it works well. It also doesn’t really matter if it does go up the side of the rim at all. All helps the tyre seal.

Just to clarify, the Alpine (or Olympic) rim take the 21mm tape, all the others work better with the 25mm

lucien

With my Crests I used both the 21mm and 25mm rim tape and could get them to seal around the valve – spoke to CRC and Freeborn who both assured me I had the right tape and valves. Still no joy – in the end used a normal rim strip (25mm) and trimmed it slightly around the valve to fit on the rim, tyres now inflate and seal no problem and they are tubeles tyres. Took me a good few weeks, bottle of sealant, loads of gas cannisters and plenty of pumping to find all that out mind you – very frustrating!!!! 😯

granny_ring

Tragic, I’ve still got that unused roll of 21mm for sale if you want to try that 🙂

tragically1969
    Free Member

Tragic, I’ve still got that unused roll of 21mm for sale if you want to try that

Cheers, might be taking you up on it yet !!

25mm is OK for Crest, checked the JRA site and Stans, as matthew_h says, you can use either.

I was just a bit worried if it climbed the bead socket (which are suprisingly shallow by the way) it would not seal properly, sounds like it will, will give it a go over the weekend.

humdinger
    Free Member

granny_ring YGM re 21mm tape

humdinger
    Free Member

PS 25mm tape works fine on crests unless ur running the new TL ready Schwalbe Racing Ralphs. Then the sidewalls need to be free of tape so only 21mm will do…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Stans Crest yellow tape – Faff……or Fool ?’ is closed to new replies.