Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Stage races in Europe – ideas needed!
  • stuartie_c
    Free Member

Evening all.

I want to do another stage race next summer but I’m limited time-wise to early-mid July or early-mid August. Had originally planned to do the Transalp again but it clashes with my Dad’s 70th so it’s out of the reckoning. Same goes for MTBChallenge in Poland/Czech Republic (same dates).

So, any other ideas? 6-8 days ideally and must be within reasonable driving distance of the UK (realistically, Western Europe).

nasher
    Free Member

This is probably the best mtb event out at the mo..

TRANSPROVENCE

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Yup – really like the look of that one nasher, but it’s too late for me; I’m restricted to Scottish teacher holidays. Feel my pain…

🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

I received this list a few weeks ago.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Thanks don simon.

BIKE TRANSPIRINEUS looks like it might fit the bill (though it’s not a race); pity their website is bolloxed just now.

donsimon
    Free Member

I’ve just found this which seems to bring up some other stage races like QuijoteXtreme, I’ll have a look and try and dig out some more over the weekend. 😉

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

There is a multi day stage race planned in Sweden next year around August time, it follows the Kings Trail, the details are being released early next week.

Tourist info here on the Kings Trail
    http://www.svenskaturistforeningen.se/en/Discover-Sweden/Facilities-and-activities/Lappland/The-Kings-Trail

midwales
    Free Member

we did the mtb challenge in poland last year. really good event, well organised, good routes. will be better next year they ave moved it till the end of june. never done the one in later in the year.

olaf_hansen
    Free Member

Not quite sure how mad you want it to be, but there’s always Ironbike. It’s really very strange – after 10 hours of on/off technical riding, the final step before you cross the finish line is to ride up a ski jump. You ride down it the next day ….weirdos. Great race though!

offthebrakes
    Free Member

+1 for Ironbike, its brutal but beautiful!

Want to descend 500 vertical metres on steps inside a fortress, with a helicopter film-crew buzzing you all the way? After 8 hours of riding?

Don’t think they’ve published next year’s dates yet, but its usually mid-July.

juan
    Free Member

I second nasher. Plus you could get a chance to meet me too 😉
    Or you can have a look at the 1001 sentiers enduro series or the tribe enduro series 😉

stuartie_c
    Free Member

These are some great suggestions guys, unfortunately the dates just don’t work for me for either Ironbike or QuijoteXtreme. Swedish one sounds intrguing though, if the dates are right.

My holidays are July and the first fortnight in August with the Old Man’s birthday falling on 25th July, so it needs to be first two weeks in July or August, ideally.

Cheers for all the suggestions so far guys.

TP_Melissa
    Free Member

Thanks for the plug Nasher and Juan 🙂

Doesn’t help your cause much, Stuartie_C, but since it’s been mentioned, here are some pics from this years Trans-Provence (all of these images are © Michiel Rotgans and Irmo Keizer)

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Now that’s just unbridled cruelty, Melissa!

🙂

I really want to do the TP, but I simply can’t get time off. Is it worth abandoning a promising career over?

TP_Melissa
    Free Member

Is it worth abandoning a promising career over?

Almost, but… probably not 😉

donsimon
    Free Member

BIKE TRANSPIRINEUS looks like it might fit the bill (though it’s not a race); pity their website is bolloxed just now.

Can’t find any more races mentioned on the forum but the site was shonky at the beginning of the year too, some could see, others not!
    Extra info is that the 2010 event was 750€ all included.

EDIT: I’ve just read further into the thread, 😥 the 2010 event was cancelled and people are still having trouble getting their money back. Best look somewhere else… 😥

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Stage races in Europe – ideas needed!’ is closed to new replies.