Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • SS ratios ?
  • justa
    Free Member

Need some help with my new tricross single speed….

first one – when i get a puncture and have to take the rear wheel off…..

How do i get the tension right when i put it back on ? Also can i use a normal QR skewer or even a halo hex – i don’t want to carry round two spanners !

Secondly, what ratio do you recommend for a beginner ? The tricross comes with 42 at the front and 18 at the back…

I ain’t going to get up a lot of the hills around here…

thanks 🙂

dobo
    Free Member

depends on how you intend to use the bike? off road, commuting, road etc

i didnt help much did i 😉

Merlinman

1 ring spanner is enough

Pull wheel back and nip up gently – QR won’t hold securely

Try a 39t – Surly do a suitable one

TTFU 🙂

justa
    Free Member

good point though

well..

commuting and general rides when I just grab the easiest thing out the garage….

I suppose its the choice between getting up hills and spinning madly on descents ?

Merlinman

I can get up most stuff on the 39 – and 19-20mph on the flat before you spin out….

justa
    Free Member

hi rob – nice to hear from you

was going to mail you but cant find your email address in the profile ?

Garry_Lager

Have you got a chain tug fitted? I find these helpful in getting the chain line straight and tensioned when you repair a puncture. Still need a spanner for the bolt though. The stock wheels on the tricross are poor, so a slightly misaligned chain can accelerate wear and tear on the hub – mine only lasted a few 100 miles.

It’s not possible to choose a ratio for a SS CX bike that will do everything – the difference in ratio necessary for proper trail work and beasting along down the tarmac is massive. It’s a bit different from a SS MTB in that sense. The stock 42×18 is a good start – this would be on the light side of things IME, you wouldn’t want to go much easier than this if you’re riding mainly on roads.

stoney
    Free Member

I run a 32-18 and i can still pedal at 16-18mph on the flat and i am by no measure that last to the bottom of a fell/hill.

soobalias
    Free Member

im on 52:18 but its only used on tarmac, and keeping up with traffic is more important than anything else.

the hills took a while to get used to.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘SS ratios ?’ is closed to new replies.