Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • SS / Fixie to gears conversion
  • Trimix
    Free Member

Hi, If I want to convert a Singlespeed / fixie so it has some gears, would this be appropriate ?

https://www.fyxation.com/collections/six-fyx-shifting-system/products/sixfyx-hub-only

Are there UK alternative suppliers ?

thepodge
    Free Member

Yes but I wouldn’t.

The title says hub only, I would imagine unless you are a wheel builder you’d be better off buying a whole wheel, they do that option for an extra 50$.

For 300£ (which is what this will probably cost) I would imagine you could put it together yourself.

Slightly left field option but a second hand Sturmey archer in a 700c wheel might be easier and cheaper.

IvanMTB
    Free Member
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Surely this is prime n+1 territory?

By the time you have bought all those bits you could have bought a cheap road bike.

tjagain

Sturmey archer hub? Thats what I did. Second hand for £50 plus a wheel build cable and levers.

cookeaa

This has to be one of those situations where an IGH makes better sense?

How about Fixed 3 speed? or 3 speed with a drum brake Or 5 speed Or 2 speed witout any shifter (with a Freewheel though) There’s loads of better options (IMO)…

joshvegas
    Free Member

A sturmey archer or…

Stick a 6speed block on the fixed gear wheel. Move the spacers about and re-dish the wheel….

Trimix
    Free Member

Mmmm, lots to think about then. If it was my bike Id just ride it. The chap who’s bike it is really needs a few gears on it to make it ridable for him. It used to scoot around London fine, now in the Cotswolds there are no flat bits and too many short steep hills to make it pleasant.

tjagain

assuming its a proper SS frame then the SA hub is a decent compromise. You get the silent running of a SS with a 200% gear range. It can be set up either so 3rd is your gear for riding along the flat or second is depending on overall gearing. I have mine so 2nd is the same as my SS gear so its 1st for uphill, 2nd for flat and 3rd for downhill

joshvegas
    Free Member

Mmmm, lots to think about then. If it was my bike Id just ride it. The chap who’s bike it is really needs a few gears on it to make it ridable for him. It used to scoot around London fine, now in the Cotswolds there are no flat bits and too many short steep hills to make it pleasant.

Without wanting to appear wide. HAs he tried an easier gear? if there are no flat bits* then a spinny gear isn’t such a pain in the hoop. This is expecially true if its fixed gear which is easier to spin fast on.

*it doesn’t look that hilly from my super quick street view

edhornby

Seems like sturmey is the best option – but I’d flog it to someone he knows in london and get something else that is designed to have gears and disc brakes because it will always be a comprimise, better to have something you enjoy riding and the Cotswolds is perfect for a proper road bike

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘SS / Fixie to gears conversion’ is closed to new replies.