Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Sram X0 Hubs and the Planet X debacle
  • gamerriley
    Free Member

Not normally would I rant and rave about customer service but after what I’m currently going through I need to vent my anger somewhere and warn people who have these hubs on their bike.
    I pre-ordered my On One Codeine and got it from day 1 which I’m happy to say is a very good bike. After a few months now of riding, Afan and the like, I noticed a slight bit of play in my rear X0 hub. Then I started to notice the same on the front X0 hub. Shit I thought what **** hubs. I’d only done a few hundred miles of riding, in dry summer weather, not a bit of slop and gloop had been anywhere near these hubs. I ended up taking the end caps off to see if I could get the numbers off the bearings to see about getting replacements and it was at that point that I noticed that on both hubs one bearing had a black seal and the other had a red seal. Strange I thought as the front hub bearing looked to be the same size. Well I then looked online at the sram website and downloaded their very handy pdf on how to replace the bearings in this hub. Low and behold the service manual states that the bearings should have the red seal facing outwards on both sides of the hub, front and rear. It looks like my hubs had been manufactured incorrectly and the bearings that had been put into the hub with the black seal facing outwards were now shot. You wouldn’t think there was a wrong way, but there obviously is.
    Now normally a quick phone call to the LBS would sort this and you would get a “no problem sir, I’ll get onto the manufacturer and send some replacement bearings out to you” But I have bought a bike from Planet X……and you can probably imagine the amount of phone calls and emails I’ve sent. Also took the wheels up to Planet X so their ‘warranty manager’ could have a look, they even took photos. They have the bearing numbers and part numbers from Sram, and I have now given them the production numbers of the hubs. Why they didn’t get that a fortnight ago when I took the wheels up I’ll never know. Next is a DNA test and a blood sample I think.
    So a fortnight later from contacting Planet X to get some faulty bearings replaced under warranty on a bike I paid £2,500 for in May, it’s just an absolute joke. So guys if you have X0 hubs I strongly recommend you have a look at the bearings to see if they are the right way round and save yourself a whole heap of hassle.

br
    Free Member

I can’t imagine that On-One (or their supplier) actually changed the hub bearings before they built the bikes, so I’d say your rant is misplaced and ought to be aimed more at SRAM. And then only On-One once SRAM have agreed the work.

gamerriley
    Free Member

Agreed I am angry with SRAM. But I can’t take my case up with SRAM as all warranty issues need to be taken up by where you made the original purchase, hence Planet X.

tomhoward

Lucky planet x, getting flamed on a forum for something that wasn’t their fault, and sorted it out anyway.

Shysters.

gamerriley
    Free Member

@tomhoward, how long shall I give Planet X to sort this as we are now entering the third week since original contact about this?

sandwicheater

21 days. Then get angry.

Junkyard
    Free Member

what is your job tom – every thread on bikes and customers and you wade in to diss the customer
    WHY?
    simply he has contract with ON one if the hubs go FUBAR it is their problem
    They have a contract with SRAM not the buyer who bought from them

His rant is very much about what Planet X did and did not do just like the other tedz was it thread – ie the company did not do their job and a customer rightly complained

Poor from PLanet X worse from TOM whose view is apparently the customer is always wrong

gamerriley
    Free Member

Cheers junkyard, I started to question myself for a minute. Have I spent £2,500 on a bike or £3 on a pair of socks 🙁

tomhoward

His rant is very much about what Planet X did and did not do just like the other tedz was it thread – ie the company did not do their job and a customer rightly complained

I thought in both these threads the company did do their jobs, however the customers whined complained it wasnt done fast enough, so despite having their issue fixed, they stuck the boot in anyway?

(my job? I provide pricing for large IT projects. SLAs are as low as 2 hours from the request coming in to a quote being given. If these cant be hit, I have to provide a damn good reason why. If these SLAs are missed a whole number of people, whose self importance would put even the biggest hitters on here to shame, go nuclear.)

Rorschach
    Free Member

Not reading that..

Junkyard
    Free Member

Face palm
    In neither thread was the issue fixed – he still has no working wheels and the other person did not have a refund for the bike that was a warranty return- neither issue was resolved that is just inaccurate.

I am finding it hard to believe you are being serious and if you are your judgements are as poor as your comprehension

tomhoward

So a fortnight later from contacting Planet X to get some faulty bearings replaced under warranty on a bike I paid £2,500 for in May

I read that as he now has the bearings back? Kind of difficult to keep track…

Just reread the other thread, (at the time i was more commenting on the whiney, rantyness of the posts, assumed that transported to how he was talking to treadz, hence the ‘delight’ part. There is being right and there is being polite) realise it hadnt been sorted, but it seems to be that cube are holding the process up (i know the contract is with treadz, but they have to be sure they are getting the money back before they give it back to the OP of the thread, surely.) i know treadz could have kept the op updated, but its pretty frustrating to recieve an ‘update’ saying that the is no progress, no?’

You may find my attitude unbelieveable, but I’m not the one with his head exploding over warranty/customer service issues, and I’ve had my fair share of them.

EDIT, it would seem that mr cube now has his money back, so we can all (well, not you OP) settle down…

Shorty12
    Free Member

I hardly doubt that wrong facing bearing is to blame unless it’s a very specific seal.

parkesie
    Free Member

Sided bearings dont like going the wrong way round.

gamerriley
    Free Member

FYI THIS is the SRAM service guide pdf showing how to replace the bearings and specifically telling you about the red seal facing outwards. I wouldn’t have thought it mattered, but it obviously does. Also this issue has not been resolved, i’m still waiting for replacement bearings under warranty, on a plus note though Planet X have emailed me 3 times today rather than the once in 2 days they were doing before I wrote in this forum!! Hello Planet X People 🙂

gamerriley
    Free Member

Sided bearings dont like going the wrong way round.

Thanks parkesie, I can now see the issue, was wandering how different they can be from normal bearings.

coatesy
    Free Member

May even be similar to how Royce do their bearings, red being a labyrinth seal that offers better protection against dirt and water, black being a normal type that offers less friction.

wwaswas

I feel a bit sorry for tomhoward working in an environment where missing a 2 hour deadline results in that sort of stress and abuse from people who should probably be senior enough to realise it’s counter productive.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Kind of difficult to keep track.

Only for you.

(i know the contract is with treadz, but they have to be sure they are getting the money back before they give it back to the OP of the thread, surely

Yes that is exactly how the SOGA works
    It also states clearly you should not reply to e-mails , return phone calls or deliver on your promises to do so,

I’m not the one with his head exploding over warranty/customer service issues, and I’ve had my fair share of them

Why are you using hyperbolic straw men if you are so calm?
    How can you have had any issue ? you consider not being satisfied as it being fine 😉

This thread needs TJ

gamerriley
    Free Member

just to get back on track, not heard anything today….still waiting 🙁

JImmAwelon
    Free Member

I have no warrenty but out of interest how much are these bearings going to cost me if I wanted to replace mine in my wheels and do they just wiggle out with a screwdriver?

gamerriley
    Free Member

Don’t know the cost of them, won’t be cheap tho’ knowing SRAM. As for replacing them, it’s just a case of knocking them out. See HERE for details.

j450n
    Free Member

Are the Bearings a special size/type?

Curious as to why PX would not put some bearing’s in to move the customer along, and sort out the Sram warranty after. That’s what I would do.

gamerriley
    Free Member

Put simply, Yes j450n

cookeaa

Sorry, OP you’ve written quite a lot but I’m not clear have you actually sent the wheels to OO for inspection/repair replacement yet?

daver27
    Free Member

63803 bearings according to pdf (which aren’t directional), cost – about £20 for 10 (so you have spares) and 1/2 hour to fit. is it even worth the hassle?

cookeaa

Essentially OP you have a couple of options:

First is do as Daver27 suggests (This is what I’d do TBH), your “warranty” is only really affected if you report the work to OO (which you won’t), and TBH after a few more months use is the Warranty not going to expire anyway? gets you back riding sooner and you learn how to fix something, clearly it’s already crossed your mind as you downloaded the service guide…

The other option is to chase I’m afraid, pester the crap out of On-One…
    Always in a Calm, polite but insistent manner, call them daily, and email them every couple of days, asking about the current status of your enquiry use simple clear language and bullet point your issues in any communications:

1- both wheels have developed a fault; lateral play and they are well within their warranty period.
    2- you have inspected the bearings and read the relevant literature from SRAM and believe the bearings to be have been incorrectly installed.
    3- you would like the issue remedied by On-One as the supplier.
    4- You would expect On-One’s proposed solution to be the most expedient. (this may be bearing replacement, this may mean the whole wheelset is replaced).
    5- You are already dissatisfied with the slow response and lack of communication having reported the issue to On-One three almost weeks earlier, and would expect them to prioritise resolution of your issue.
    6- If you are not provided with courier pick-up details within 48 hours you will make your own arrangements for the return of the wheelset directly to On-One and bill them for the carriage.. (Ultimatum to use when you hit week 3)

Any verbal agreements given over the phone you want following up and re-stating in an email.

That’s it really, Venting your spleen on STW to all the other PX/OO Haterz isn’t actually going to get your bike fixed, certainly not now Brant has left them…

From your first post OP:

Now normally a quick phone call to the LBS would sort this and you would get a “no problem sir, I’ll get onto the manufacturer and send some replacement bearings out to you”

Moral of the story: If you’re going to chase the interweb bargains then be prepared for the interwebs bargain customer service/resolution/timescales…

You’ve basically identified the value of using a good LBS…

gamerriley
    Free Member

Agree daver27, I’ve looked at the bearings myself but can’t find them at £20 for 10, you must know some special supplier, where’s the linky??
    I also need bearings for my front hub, 23x32x7 i believe. Can you post a linky to those as well?? Much appreciated.

daver27
    Free Member

its here – Clicky

or contact these guys – MB Bearings

Jamie
    Free Member

So it’s official. P-X no longer has a rep on the board?

wwaswas

So it’s official.

Not sure if it’s official but he went quiet over 2 weeks ago…

[edit]

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/profile/sq225917

konanige

Sorry to contradict you daver27 but those bearings are incorrect, outside diameter is wrong, but Hope do bearings that fit they are not a standard size,and as for the front hub even my LBS cant seem to find them even from Sram!!! I may just get me a new set of wheels from Superstar whats the point in buying high end if they last no longer and you cant get spares>

forkbrayker
    Free Member

i know this is an old post but was just looking about whilst i have had issues with my SRAM Roam 30 front hub. just to confirm – nearly all the sram front hubs in the MTB range roam & rail 30, 40 etc up to the XO use a non standard bearing size. 23/32/7 (23327) 23mm internal, 32 mm external, 7 mm wide. this is not available from any normal bearing suppliers.

i contacted sram tech, they advised me that this was indeed the case and to order up from LBS via “fishers” which i did- £19.99 for the two bearings. its annoying but such is life. what i can’t figure out is why the rear hib uses standard sizes but but not the front hub. I suspect its down to the axle sleeve for the front wheel because its easy enought To get a 20/32/7. The axle sleeve i imagine can be swapped out. my config is for 15mm axle, but to use a 20mm axle the thickness of the axle sleeve tubing would need to be greater than 20 mm (hence the 23mm ID of the bearing) Most other companies seem to just use end caps with the actual axle running on the ID of the bearing – not an extra sleeve.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Sram X0 Hubs and the Planet X debacle’ is closed to new replies.