Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • SRAM Powertrain motor is a game changer
  • Mark

Regardless of how it performs, the new SRAM Powertrain motor means the bike industry has more of a one-stop-shop than ever before when it comes to spe …

By mark

Get the full story here:

SRAM Powertrain motor is a game changer

kelvin

It’s 12 speed only yes? Is 12 speed really the best approach for full fat ebikes…?

gazzab1955

Nothing against e-bikes or advances in technology, but bloody hell (top end) MTB’s are getting complicated and pricey!

explorerboy

Forgive me if I have missed this during a quick skim read but is there the ability for the SRAM motor/batter to power all the AXS kit on the bike? Just one (big) battery to charge rather than multiple small ones?

tjagain

What would really be a game changer is a standard mount for ebbike motors and a non electric BB that can be put on those same mounts

kelvin

Looks like the derailleur can be powered off the main battery explorerboy. But not the seatpost.

Agreed 100% TJ. One mounting for all motors would be a genuine step forward. And reassure buyers about the longevity of their frame.

dropoff

Best thing Ive seen about this is the little clip holding the brake hose and speed sensor attached to the pivot bolt. Where can I get them ???

Bruce

The chances of any part of a bike being standard for more than five minutes is looking less  and less likely.

Not sensible in the long term but sense evaporated with 27.5 wheels.

GeForceJunky

New 630Wh battery @3KG sounds good compared to 3.5 for Bosch and 3.7 for Shimano.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Headline says game changer blurb says not a game changer? What did I miss?

What would really be a game changer is a standard mount for ebbike motors and a non electric BB that can be put on those same mounts

I don’t think that is the game they want to play, nice as it would be.

reluctantjumper

Don’t see how it’s a game-changer, all it’s designed to do is tie full bikes into the SRAM system so that customers have to buy SRAM replacement parts. To switch to Shimano would require a lot of faff to unpick the integration, plus you’re at the mercy of being able to buy compatible parts. Seems like a step backwards to me.

Best thing Ive seen about this is the little clip holding the brake hose and speed sensor attached to the pivot bolt. Where can I get them ???

Cotic use them, I’d imagine they sell them separately but they are just plastic P Clips, nothing special but you do need a corresponding hole in the end of your bolt!

pnik

Very clever tech, perfectly tuned to being the opposite of what I want in almost every way.

great for beginners. I don’t want to call it dumbing down, because if people are riding bikes and happy then all good.  I just like mechanical mountain biking. A lot of this tech makes more sense to me for town bikes, car replacement etc. and if they prove the tech in the hard world of mountain biking then it should be able to stand up to work/school/Waitrose.

sillyoldman

Spesh dealers are well aware of Brose reliability/durability issues but Spesh throw product at the problem (dealers have stock of replacement system parts in advance of the anticipated issues). Will be interesting to see if Sram can do the same.

Interesting to see that they see the benefit of one central battery as per Di2/Steps.

kayak23

M’names Guy Kestrelvan. I’ve been a professional bike tester for 87 years…

sharkattack

M’names Guy Kestrelvan. I’ve been a professional bike tester for 87 years…and I can never actually criticise anything or my gravy boat will go down like the Titanic

crossed

M’names Guy Kestrelvan. I’ve been a professional bike tester for 87 years…

Has there ever been a bike he didn’t like?

chrismac

I’m struggling to see what’s game changing about using the same battery and motor as specialized have been using for years only sram have made less flexible software. Being SRAM it will be more unreliable

chrismac

Mo chance. His place on the gravy train will never be put at risk. I gave up watching his videos a couple of years ago because they are so obviously not objective

Rubber_Buccaneer

Mo chance. His place on the gravy train will never be put at risk. I gave up watching his videos a couple of years ago because they are so obviously not objective

If I want to buy a bike I always check out his review to reassure me I’m making the right choice 😀. And of course I am, thanks Guy 👍

monkeyboyjc

Game chamger? Shimano released their version of autoshift earlier this year? Pinion have a gearbox that autoshifts…

The way the bike market is at the moment I can’t see autoshifting MTBs outselling everything else that’s on 50% sale..

As an axs ebike rider the best thing about this is the rear mech powered by the ebike battery.

andrewreay

In defence if the ‘game changing’ comment, I don’t think it’s aimed at the tech.

It’s the fact that a single supplier offers EVERYTHING on a mountain bike except the frame and the tyres pretty much.

If you’re a bike manufacturer that creates an attractive proposition and draws you deeper into the SRAM ‘ecosystem’.

Tricky one for the punters though. There won’t be many SRAM motored bikes with Fox forks for example.

kelvin

If you’re a bike manufacturer that creates an attractive proposition and draws you deeper into the SRAM ‘ecosystem’.

Tying in the AXS stuff makes sense for Sram… but why have they done a half hearted job with the Reverb? Clear that they want to give bike brands more reason to fit Reverb AXS posts rather that alternatives… so why not wire in the post and make it integrated, clean, neat and battery free…? Coming in 12 months time…?

bigrich

Only a game change if that’s the game you play

dumbbot
    Free Member

Only a game change if that’s the game you play

^^ Oh this very much :D….hhaha,

Brianblessed
    Free Member

M’names Guy Kestrelvan. I’ve been a professional bike tester for 87 years…and I can never actually criticise anything or my gravy boat will go down like the Titanic

LOL, so true!

Gribs

His reviews are generally positive but once you’ve watched a few you should be able to pick out the ones he doesn’t like. He’ll generally frame those as being great for someone else. He certainly wasn’t keen on the latest Hope Enduro bike.

rootes1

a real game changer will be a motorgearbox unit from SRAM and Shimano..

jamj1974

I would challenge the supposition made by the article – yes, I think it will matter how it performs. And whilst, it does offer a ‘one stop’ shop, it does prevent flexibility. If you want to retain the left hand handlebar unit for the motor you are tied into the Reverb dropper. For me that would be an issue as although it may be simpler, the Reverb units – even the newer electrically controlled ones, have some significant known issues.

I’m not averse to SRAM at all – been using their shifters and mechs since 2006 on at least two bikes and had an excellent experience with their Code RSC brakes for nearly two years
    , but I am not keen on this all or nothing approach.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.