Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Sram GX AXS rear mech issue
  • jimr80
    Free Member

Whilst riding today a bit of trail debris (possible branch) jump into the rear mech. The mech survived but from that point on the gear indexing  was knocked completely out of sync. The inner mech cage looks bent and the top jockey wheel is on the squint laterally. Is it possible to have  just bent the inner cage or will it be both. It’s had to see if the outer cage has been altered. I can purchase a new inner but I think the outer is part of the mech and not replaceable. I would post an image but it doesn’t really offer any more information.

iainc

I’d suggest changing the hanger first and then seeing what’s what.

jimr80
    Free Member

I have a rear alignment tool which I will use tomorrow to check the hanger. I’ll report back.

iainc

I have caught sticks 2 or 3 times and it’s knocked the indexing way out. New hanger sorted it in each occasion.

Tracey

I had the same with an XX1 AXS which snapped the carbon front cage which can’t be bought from SRAM. Was given a link to Ratio who sell the full cage.

Back up and working well

https://ratiotechnology.com/product/sr52x-derailleur-cage/

bigfoot
    Free Member

also using a Ratio cage after crashing and destroying the 2 week old one on a rock slab, just incase it isn’t the hanger

montylikesbeer

I have got AXS Rival on my Camino and have after two what in the past would have considered minor bumps had to swap out two rear mechs.

The alignment on 12 speed is a lot closer than in the past and is exposed to alignment issues on the trails.

Always keep a rear mech hanger in your pouch,pack or jersey I suppose.

jimr80
    Free Member

So to update. I checked the hanger with a mech alignment tool. This showed the hanger was as it should. Transition hangers are quite robust. I removed the mech and the jockey  wheels were out of plumb with each other. So I showed the mech my vice and gently straighten the whole cage so the wheels aligned . Refitted the mech and normal service has resumed. The main outer cage had been twisted  taking the inner cage with it. I shall probably buy a new inner in case its been weakened.

thanks for everyone’s help.

honourablegeorge

+1 for Tracey and the Ratio replacement cage – and apparently Ratio will sell the cage minus their jockey wheels also, if you email them,  so possible to get a replacement a little cheaper.

You can also buy the inner cages quite cheaply from SRAM (get the GX AXS specific one), or a lightwight alu version  in a choice of colours from Garbaruk (again, make sure it’s for GX AXS) – you’d then at least have the inner cage being straight, which would hopefully persuade the outer cage along

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.