Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • SRAM AXS damping for fork and shock
  • frogstomp

Very interesting.. fits on the damper side so must use different measurement technology to Shockwiz? I wonder if it’ll actively tune your compression settings or just be an automatic climb switch like Live Valve?

Would be great if you can retrofit it (which it looks like)!

DickBarton

This kind of interests me but as I don’t fettle my suspension much, I suspect I’m interested in the tech and not the benefit to me. Most advanced I get with my ‘tuning’ is opening the rear shock when I’m about to go down lumpy stuff. Every 3 or 4 months I check the pressure and add air if needed.
    The idea of electronic stuff appeals – I now can’t see past AXS for the dropper or shifting, but that does lend itself a new quandry – how will you fit all the electronic gubbins in and be controlled by the 2 controllers?
    Actually forget that, last picture there suggests you press the controller on the fork/shock and don’t control it from the bars…that doesn’t seem quite so interesting as it means moving hands off controls so not quite on-the-fly adjustments.
    Still of interest though…

thols2

I assume it’s an automatic lockout, like the Specialized Brain. I also assume it’ll be wicked expensive and reserved for very high-end gear so not relevant to me.

frogstomp

Actually forget that, last picture there suggests you press the controller on the fork/shock and don’t control it from the bars

Looking at it a bit more it definitely looks more like a Live Valve-style automatic climb switch. I think any remote lever / switch would just be for overriding it under certain conditions.

honourablegeorge

It’s described as a control module, given that and the fact that it’s on the damper side I suspect it’s just electronic lockout/compression as opposed to Shockwiz

Would think the button is just for setup/pairing – it’s not really AXS if not wireless controlled.

Wondering whether it does the terrain sensing stuff like Live Valve or needs a user control

ta11pau1

So theres a sensor that goes in the crank and under calibration in the menu it seems to imply there a lean sensor/gyro.

So it’ll know when you’re pedalling, going uphill, or downhill, or banked over in a corner and will adjust the front and rear damping to suit.

Very much like the electronic suspension motorbikes have had for a few years.

honourablegeorge

Lapierre had this about ten years back, it actually worked quite well.

They had quite the fall from grace, they were everywhere for a bit, DH team, the whole deal, but now you hardly see them

andykentos
    Free Member

Lapierre was bought by the Winora group, aka Haibike. Bikes look similar to ghost,at least the e bikes. Still make some competitively priced enduro bikes. In fact their Enduro team is pretty decent in the EWS…

honourablegeorge

They owned Ghost from the start, I think….

lovewookie

This sort of stuff is really interesting. On one hand, manufacturers can provide all of the fettling adjustments they can and it will still be subject to what the user thinks is right, and not necessarily how the suspension will function best.

On the other hand they can give users relatively little adjustment and set it all for the ‘average’ rider and most won’t know any different.

the advent of shockwiz has enabled the user to get a bit more guidance from real world riding. This looks like it takes it a step further, or back to the day when we tried to run before we could crawl (yes K2 smart shock, I’m looking at you) where we have active, auto adjusting suspension.
    as long as the sensitivity can be tuned to what an individual likes, then it’s certainly something that may appeal to quite a few riders. just not those that ride ‘open’ all the time.
    I’m surprised specialized haven’t adopted electronic control of their analogue brain, as that’s always been fraught with sensitivity issues. in theory electronic control could provide a good solution.

ayjaydoubleyou

So theres a sensor that goes in the crank and under calibration in the menu it seems to imply there a lean sensor/gyro.

So it’ll know when you’re pedalling, going uphill, or downhill, or banked over in a corner and will adjust the front and rear damping to suit.

Very much like the electronic suspension motorbikes have had for a few years.

I’mnot sure I’d want it changing my suspension automatically, what about a a quick pump/natural roller, where you are briefly pointing uphill, and what about jump takeoffs?

Combining it with the gears and seatpost however…
    you could have a descend setting when the seat was down, climb when its up.
    Or link it to your gears if you only want stiff setup when climbing in the easy gears (no good for stiffening it up for sprints). All controlled via the same 3 buttons (gear up, gear down, dropper), and user customisable. That would be awesome.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘SRAM AXS damping for fork and shock’ is closed to new replies.